IGNORED

Need screen shots of Adventure on black and white TV set

Crazy Climber

Hey guys!

I am going to make a cool little wall set for Adventure on the Atari 2600. Just like my Berzerk and space Invader ones...

post-9102-0-15415000-1349450710_thumb.jpgpost-9102-0-36999700-1349450733_thumb.jpg

I was going to do a full color set, but also thought it would be kind of fun to do a "Black and White" set using the various greys, whites and black material I have around the shop. Can anyone post some black and white TV screen shots of adventure for the Atari 2600 for me? I would like to make them as acurate as possible and I don't own any B/W televisions anymore :( I actually kind of miss them strange as it sounds, lol.

Thanks!!! - Brian

I may have to bug you one day for another SI set. Mine keep diving to their death, can't find a good a adhesive.

Oh man, thats a bummer. It depends on the surface I guess, but I have found the double stick tape made by 3M (for outdoor use, comes in a red roll) to work perfect. My ceiling is still holding up and it's been 3 years or so now :) It actually ripped chunks of my ceiling off when I removed some of them so make sure you have them where you want them for awhile before using it ;)

post-9102-0-12049700-1349454824_thumb.jpg

My atari is modded to s video, not sure if it's still supposed to display B/W but mine does not. (maybe something was removed/changed during the mod process?)

The color switch doesn't do anything to the hardware. It's simply a toggle, just like the difficulty switches, which the software must then act upon. Many games ignore it, or use it for another purpose, including most games published after 1981.

The Adventure manual makes no mention of the color switch, so that game may ignore the switch as well. I don't have an Atari or an emulator in front of me right now, so I can't say for sure. If the switch really doesn't work, however, and no one else has contributed any pics before this evening, I can do some screen-caps from my modded 2600 with the color saturation turned all the way down. That would produce the best B&W pics you can get using real hardware.

Edited by FujiSkunk

My atari is modded to s video, not sure if it's still supposed to display B/W but mine does not. (maybe something was removed/changed during the mod process?)

Why don't you just dial the frigging color setting down on your television so that it's black and white.... lol. It'll either be a knob if the TV is old as hell, or it is a slider on the menu.

also, I require those Berzerk things you made for the wall.

For the record, I have Adventure (text label) and a 32" CRT. When I hit the Color/B&W switch it puts the game in B&W.

As stated above, it's a toggle switch, toggling between palettes. And as stated above only very early titles bothered with storing two palettes in the ROM.

I am very pleased you will make an Adventure set!

I still get excited (and jealous) when I see that arcade room picture, that I have seen before. Oh, to have a room like that! I would feel good just to walk into a room like that!

:)

Edited by wood_jl
  • Like 1