trakball trackball cx80 cx-80 star raiders control T

1 reply to this topic

#1 jonathan OFFLINE  

jonathan

Combat Commando

• 4 posts

Posted Fri Oct 5, 2012 11:49 AM

Hi,

I am an A8 user since 1987 but using emulators as my real Atari is packed far away.

Have been playing Star Raiders under Atari 800win which does a good job of this classic.

Years ago, I attempted a project to convert a CX-80 trackball I got of ebay to convert to USB. After butchering three different mice to make the optical sensors work, I put the bits away and haven't tried since.

I still want to play Star Raiders with a better controller, as wanting to improve my game with some acurate controls.

One the CX-80 there was a switch to make it mimic a joystick if I remember correctly.

Now, I know Star Raiders doesn't support a trackball officially, is there way of using a mouse, trackpad or touch pad with any A8 emuator?

I know a thread a while back people wanted to patch or change Star Raiders, the game is perfect apart from supporting some better controls. :)

#2 Fox-1 / mnx OFFLINE  

Fox-1 / mnx

Stargunner

• 1,557 posts
  • What is your Alternate Reality?

Posted Sat Oct 6, 2012 1:09 PM

Use an adapter to connect Atari-style joysticks to a PC system. The trackball in "JS" mode is just a joystick.

note: however I think they do, I'm not 100% sure these adapters provide 5V. A regular joystick (without auto-fire feature) only switches "ground" signals but a trackball requires the 5V for it's LED's and opto receivers.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: trakball, trackball, cx80, cx-80, star raiders, control T

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users