IGNORED

What would you expect from a new ColecoVision console?

opcode

80 members have voted

1. 1. What would you expect from a new ColecoVision console?

• I would like it to be just the same as the original ColecoVision, albeit with better A/V outputs
    • I would like it to include some minor improvements over the original, closer to NES/SMS capabilities
    • I would like it to be a major improvement, closer to 16-bits capabilities
    • Same as the original ColecoVision but with the SGM functionality added to it
  2. 2. How much would you be willing to pay for a new ColecoVision?

• 100 bucks maximum
    • $150 maximum
    • $200 maximum
    • Money isn't a problem
  3. 3. Would you be happy with a new ColecoVision board that works as a replacement board for existing CVs if that helps to reduce the final price?

• Yes, I would be happy with that
    • No, I prefer a brand new case even if that means paying a bit more
  4. 4. In case you voted for an improved CV, which features would you like to see added? (remember that each feature adds to price, so choose wisely)

• Improved graphics
    • Improved sound
    • Be capable of improving existing games, like keep high scores, tune color palette, cheats, etc
    • Be able to run games from a SD card
    • Being able to connect a keyboard for computer capabilities
    • Be able to play over the Internet
  5. 5. In case you voted for a new case, how would you like it to look?

• Like the original
    • Something totally new
  6. 6. In case you voted for an improved ColecoVision, which kind of games would you like to see released for it?

• Arcade ports from the golden age (1979-1983)
    • Arcade ports from the late 80s (1984-1989)
    • 100% original games
    • Popular games from other post-crash systems, like Castlevania, Zelda, etc
    • Sequels for ColecoVision games
    • Improved versions of classic games from pre-crash systems, like River Raid, Enduro, Yar's Revenge, etc

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

Ok, I think I am coming with a plan. V9958 for video, YM2151 for sound (in addition to SN76489AN for backward compatibility). A Z80 at 5.35MHz or 7.14MHz (selectable by software). Now, it would be cool if I could come with a scheme to DMA data to the VRAM. That would be especially useful for sprite manipulation. Also gonna need a Interrupt Controller for all the new sources of IRQ in the system. In terms of memory management, 32KB should be good enough so no need to create any new memory mapper.

It sounds like that takes care of most of the limitations we find on the ColecoVision. I think additional memory might be good, though. With more power, there will likely be more draw on memory, both RAM and ROM, and perhaps BIOS. That said, unfortunately I don't have a good answer on how to easily manage more than 64K memory.

Layman's opinion, here.

I'd like a brand-new board that drops into the existing case, with 21st-century reliability, and improved video connectivity (not RF). I don't think it would be a Colecovision anymore, if it changed. I gather that this is of little interest, hence Yurkievision console, which does what I ask, remarkably-well.

While I would love to eventually see a drop in replacement board for the CV using all the benefits of modern technology and combining the SGM features, I personally think that everyone's focus and support should remain squarely on what we have available already and pushing the capabilities of the current CV through the use of MegaCart games and the upcoming SGM.

There are no shortages of CVs (6 million were made and sold) as can be seen on eBay with all the systems available, as well as by other means, and there are many talented people who know how to repair, mod and maintain them.

I'm not trying to ruin the fun of discussing the possibilities, but the SGM hasn't even been released yet and there have only been 2 MegaCart games developed and released to date.

And if I may add a question, how does the YM2151 compare to Konami's SCC chip? :)

The YM2151 is an FM synthesizer (think of something like the Yamaha DX100 synth keyboard, minus the keyboard features). One can make some inrcedible sound and music, but it can be a pain to program for newcomers.

The Konami SCC had five programmable waveform channels. Though from what I've researched, it also seems a tad difficult to program.

YM2151 isn't backward compatible with anything, so the original SN76489 would still be required.

YM2151 is a 4 operator FM, 8 channels, probably the best you can get for home use. FM was hot during the 80s, so I am pretty sure you heard it from pop songs (almost every single pop/rock band/artist in the 80s used a Yamaha DX/TX synthesizer) to arcade games, to the MegaDrive/Genesis. FM synthesis is fairly hard to understand, which means that creating sounds can be hard, though playing them back is super easy, as the 2151 was thought as a music instrument, so there is much more than frequencies and volumes. On the other hard it is super easy to find waveforms (called patches) for it, as it was used in a number of Yamaha instruments (DX100, DX21, TX81Z, etc) and by a huge number of arcade games (like 80% of all arcades from 85 up). Konami was pretty good with it, Salamander, Thunder Cross, Contra and Jackal use the YM2151 exclusively for music. In fact Jackal, Contra and Thunder Cross used it exclusively for all sound FX too, showing how versatile it can be.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsvCKiz2xrY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wW5fmQyEd8k

SCC is a totally different kind of synthesis (and had 5 channels). It is more of a sort of very light wavetable. Namco arcade games from the early 80s, like Pacman, Galaga and Xevious used a similar sound chip, as well as the PC Engine/Turbografx. It is easier to create waveforms (since they are basically very simple type of sample), but on the other hand it is as hard to playback music as any PSG.

And Jim, I totally understand you are saying, but in this case we are discussing something that will take years to get done, if ever.

Edited by opcode

• 2 weeks later...

I put in my votes. These are the features I'd be looking for:

• Excellent video output. We're talking component, RGB scart, or possibly HDMI. Composite isn't enough.

• Compatibility with all Colecovision and Super Game Module games

• Reliable new controllers

• Styling that looks like it could've been from the '80s

Edited by Zenimus

HDMI isn't an option, because it is digital, different color space, progressive. V9958 is analog, RGB, interlaced. However component is possible, and it is for all purposes as good as HDMI, or analog RGB (in case you don't live in the US and have seen a TV set that sports one).

I think an architecture is starting to form. Once the design is locked in I will start to stock components. I am assuming 200 units is the potential market for such a device, so I will stock for that. But that is something to start worrying about next year, after the SGM is well behind me.

Whatever you do -- SMOOTH scrolling, please!!! :)

I will be purchasing at least two or three of these new Super ColecoVisions (or whatever they are called) for myself and friends/family. Would love to see updated/high end versions of the old classics, with more levels. For example, Venture with something like 30 levels instead of 3, DK with a ton of levels, Pepper II with much more than 4 mazes, etc. Would love an arcade-perfect Frogger and Phoenix. I also think the idea of updating games such as Yar's Revenge and other great Atari classics is DYNAMITE. Originals and later-generation arcade games would be less of a draw.

I think a Super CV on par with NES capabilities would be plenty enough. You don't want to lose the old-school charm...

Edited by DoctorTom

Whatever you do -- SMOOTH scrolling, please!!! :)

I will be purchasing at least two or three of these new Super ColecoVisions (or whatever they are called) for myself and friends/family. Would love to see updated/high end versions of the old classics, with more levels. For example, Venture with something like 30 levels instead of 3, DK with a ton of levels, Pepper II with much more than 4 mazes, etc. Would love an arcade-perfect Frogger and Phoenix. I also think the idea of updating games such as Yar's Revenge and other great Atari classics is DYNAMITE. Originals and later-generation arcade games would be less of a draw.

I think a Super CV on par with NES capabilities would be plenty enough. You don't want to lose the old-school charm...

I fully agree with this, I just purchased a YURKIE Vision and would spend more on a Super Coleco Vision even with the same old School Games with extra levels, but it needs that 80's look to it, of Course I am one of the few that like the 12 sec delay Bios.

• 2 weeks later...

old-style design

NES like controllers with bumbers below in a single like-bar line

ONLY games from PONG to 1985 era..and year 1985 also too futuristic. Better to remain within 1984.

UTOPIA Intellivision for 1 and 2 players

Sub Hunt Intellivision

Sea Battle Intellivision

SSI SSG C64 strategy games ports

a good MSX library

a better port of LOOPING

a better port of Tutankham

all old arcades originally released b/w

so..doesnt matter the console..practically only new controllers and cheaper games from homebrewers needed

I never considered to see my Caddy 75 Brougham again in production with ABS, gps and airbags...no need.