Photo

Soaring 32X Auction Prices

37 replies to this topic

#1 LynxVGL OFFLINE  

LynxVGL

Moonsweeper

• 282 posts

Posted Mon Oct 8, 2012 6:41 AM

I've been slogging through eBay lately watching eBay auctions, and have noticed that 32X Cart prices seem to be going up. Anyone have any comment on this? CIB Games seem to be creeping north of $50, and loose titles also seem to be climbing. A "Blackthorne" and a couple of "Pitfall:The Mayan Adventure" are dragging the average higher than normal, but it seems surprising to me.

I've always considered the 32X to be on the inexpensive side for collecting, and am a little shocked to see the latest spike in prices. I know that the later titles always will be sought after ("Web of Fire" & "Darxide") but "Tempo" and "BC Racers" at $30? Really?

#2 R.O.T.S OFFLINE  

R.O.T.S

Moonsweeper

• 302 posts

Posted Mon Oct 8, 2012 6:58 AM

Is this not true of a lot of systems now ?, it is a mixture of a few individuals being greedy and people outside retro gaming jumping on the band-wagon to make a quick buck out of the scene.One thing is certain though over the last few years i have noticed things do seem to be getting worse with pricing and soon i can see the retro collecting hobby being seriously effected with items simply becoming unobtainable.

#3 OutlawTorn71 OFFLINE  

OutlawTorn71

Dragonstomper

• 570 posts

Posted Mon Oct 8, 2012 8:53 AM

I have noticed this as well, I sold a Sega CD and several games about 2 years ago and it took a couple listings to get $100, now I have got the itch (and assume responsibility for selling when I shouldn't have ;) ) and I cannot believe some of these prices :-o

I have mainly collected Intellivision, it was my first system and then only played the others through emulators...those prices have become outrageous !!

Hopefully this will pass ...

#4 number six OFFLINE  

number six

Chopper Commander

• 207 posts

Posted Mon Oct 8, 2012 9:12 AM

I can't believe how much Spider-man is going for. Kicking myself for not getting it at TRU when it was new @ $19.99. It was one of those deals where I said i'd get it next time, of course it was gone and I never saw it again.

Musha is another game i always meant to get but never did. Unlike Spider-man though that game was never rare at retail back in the day.

Oh well.

#5 108 Stars OFFLINE  

108 Stars

Stargunner

• 1,851 posts

Posted Mon Oct 8, 2012 1:30 PM

Same problem in Germany. Prices have gone up quite a bit, they often doubled in recent years, at least for normal Genesis-games; haven't been looking for 32X games yet because the system itself isn't cheap (and never has been) here either.

Edited by 108 Stars, Mon Oct 8, 2012 1:32 PM.

#6 Austin ONLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 9,000 posts

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:24 PM

The 32X as a whole is constantly going up and down. Certain games, like Blackthorne, Primal Rage, and Pitfall, are always up there though.

#7 number six OFFLINE  

number six

Chopper Commander

• 207 posts

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:34 PM

The 32X as a whole is constantly going up and down. Certain games, like Blackthorne, Primal Rage, and Pitfall, are always up there though.

That's crazy. I just checked ebay prices on all of those. Luckily those i did buy.

I guess people are going after the 32x because it's sega and relatively easy to have the whole set?

#8 thegoldenband OFFLINE  

thegoldenband

River Patroller

• 4,036 posts

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:17 PM

I guess people are going after the 32x because it's sega and relatively easy to have the whole set?

That's certainly why I'm going after the full set! Well, that and I had some good luck along the way -- I got Kolibri with my 32X, bought Blackthorne for only $15, got a ridiculously good Ebay deal on Pitfall, and was able to trade for Primal Rage. I'm up to 28/36 at this point, all but one CIB.

The 32X and the Intellivision are pretty much the only consoles for which I'm aiming for a complete collection, and on the Intellivision I'm not bothering with the edutainment titles and repackaged versions. (Then again, I don't see myself paying full price for a copy of World Series Baseball 32X, since it's a sports game and a truly terrible one to boot...)

#9 ComputerSpaceFan OFFLINE  

ComputerSpaceFan

Stargunner

• 1,738 posts

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:20 PM

By the way, for you guys who want the entire 32X collection but are wincing at how much DarXide goes for, I totally gotta give props to Mr Mark and BeaglePuss's reproduction of DarXide which is way more affordable and plays perfectly on a North American 32X. I love mine.

#10 Austin ONLINE  

Austin

Quadrunner

• 9,000 posts

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:11 PM

Yeah, I play Darxide through the Everdrive flash cart. Totally not worth the price. For hardcore collectors with big pockets only.

#11 number six OFFLINE  

number six

Chopper Commander

• 207 posts

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:33 AM

That's certainly why I'm going after the full set! Well, that and I had some good luck along the way -- I got Kolibri with my 32X, bought Blackthorne for only $15, got a ridiculously good Ebay deal on Pitfall, and was able to trade for Primal Rage. I'm up to 28/36 at this point, all but one CIB.

The 32X and the Intellivision are pretty much the only consoles for which I'm aiming for a complete collection, and on the Intellivision I'm not bothering with the edutainment titles and repackaged versions. (Then again, I don't see myself paying full price for a copy of World Series Baseball 32X, since it's a sports game and a truly terrible one to boot...)

Yeah I think I toyed with doing a complete collection of the 32x back in the day, but with Spider-Man lingering at $300+ I think that kills that dream. I have never been a complete collection collector for precisely that reason. At some point you are going to have to pay insane amounts of money for those last rare carts. In many cases the most expensive games are also just terrible which doesn't help matters..

I still can't believe Spider-man is now $400 or that so many of the other games are $100-$200. I guess it's supply and demand but i'll just have to be content with what I have. I see the same thing going down with the SegaCD. Prices on that have just taken off over the last few years.

#12 thegoldenband OFFLINE  

thegoldenband

River Patroller

• 4,036 posts

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:51 AM

Wait, what? Spider-Man is up to $400? That's crazy, it was $100-150 just a couple years ago. I hope the bubble bursts someday. :(

That said, I was never even going to pay $100-150, frankly. My fiancée loves going to yard sales and flea markets, so my hope is to someday blunder across it, or get something of comparable value for cheap and be able to trade, or find a poorly-documented Ebay lot that no one notices. Same thing with the Intellivision games I need -- I'm not throwing down $1k for Spiker.

#13 LynxVGL OFFLINE  

LynxVGL

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 282 posts

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:21 PM

I still can't believe Spider-man is now $400 or that so many of the other games are $100-$200. I guess it's supply and demand but i'll just have to be content with what I have. I see the same thing going down with the SegaCD. Prices on that have just taken off over the last few years.

I agree 100%. I tried Darxide & Spider Man on an emulator and was shocked at their quality. Especially after reading about them. Let's face it, Darxide is basically Asteroids 3D. And Web of Fire is not the best Spider Man game on the Genesis. Not by a long shot. I find my 32X to be a goofy machine that I really love. I have about 1/2 - 2/3 of the titles, but I don't think I'll ever score any more. Maybe a Pitfall if I can find one for cheap. And cheap being under $20. (Dream on I guess. :) ) I lucked out back in the 90's and lived in Chicago, and had good access to the games. My NBA Jam, T-Mek, & Primal Rage were store bought. I got Corpse Killer on a BlockBuster close out, and have added some of the other arcade ports off eBay. I think Night Trap cost me $20, and MKII was around the same.

Sega CD titles seem to be a little more steady in their prices. But I will never pay $100 (or up) for a copy of Snatcher. Not when there are other "alternatives" to enjoying those Sega CD titles than buying a CIB copy.

#14 sqoon OFFLINE  

sqoon

Stargunner

• 1,094 posts

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:26 PM

Any of the Sega CD titles are easily burnable to CD-R so why spend the big bucks?

Edited by sqoon, Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:27 PM.

#15 thegoldenband OFFLINE  

thegoldenband

River Patroller

• 4,036 posts

Posted Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:58 PM

Maybe a Pitfall if I can find one for cheap. And cheap being under $20. (Dream on I guess. :) )

Hey, it can happen. After I sold the other games that came with the lot in which I bought Pitfall (and one other game I needed), I basically had gotten the game for free. I still have no idea why no one else went after that auction, except maybe that it was right after Christmas.

Also, I've now got a certain Aerosmith song going through my head. :mad: At least it's not the original TMNT theme song, which was stuck in my head before that...

#16 LynxVGL OFFLINE  

LynxVGL

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 282 posts

Posted Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:46 PM

Any of the Sega CD titles are easily burnable to CD-R so why spend the big bucks?

That was my point about "alternatives" for Sega CD. That's what my copy of Snatcher is. If there was an easier way for Macs to burn the ISO's I'd have a full Sega CD library. LOL

#17 thegoldenband OFFLINE  

thegoldenband

River Patroller

• 4,036 posts

Posted Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:48 PM

That was my point about "alternatives" for Sega CD. That's what my copy of Snatcher is. If there was an easier way for Macs to burn the ISO's I'd have a full Sega CD library. LOL

As a fellow Mac user, I feel your pain. :( I've been able to find BIN/CUEs for all the US-released games; it's the Japanese ones that only seem to be around in ISO/MP3 or ISO/WAV format, for whatever reason.

#18 madmax2069 OFFLINE  

madmax2069

Dragonstomper

• 808 posts

Posted Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:52 PM

I thought disk utilities could burn ISO

#19 LynxVGL OFFLINE  

LynxVGL

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 282 posts

Posted Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:01 PM

I thought disk utilities could burn ISO

I have yet to get it to work. Followed several online tutorials and nothing ever clears the Sega CD Boot Screen. Snatcher was done by friend on a PC using Toast.

#20 goldenegg ONLINE  

goldenegg

Stargunner

• 1,705 posts

Posted Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:20 PM

Disk Utility works just fine for burning standard ISO files. For other image types, there are two main options:

FREE - http://burn-osx.sour...glish/home.html

NOT FREE - http://www.roxio.com...toast/titanium/

EDIT:

Just need to add that the type of media you use can affect whether or not your burn will work. As always, Taiyo Yuden disks should be used whenever possible.

#21 LynxVGL OFFLINE  

LynxVGL

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 282 posts

Posted Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:22 PM

Disk Utility works just fine for burning standard ISO files. For other image types, there are two main options:

FREE - http://burn-osx.sour...glish/home.html

NOT FREE - http://www.roxio.com...toast/titanium/

Can you shoot me a PM about this?

#22 the.golden.ax OFFLINE  

the.golden.ax

Tear down this temple

• 12,424 posts
  • I'll rebuild it in 3 days

Posted Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:26 PM

I already sold Pitfall. Maybe I should let Spider-Man go now too. It's not that great to play.

#23 goldenegg ONLINE  

goldenegg

Stargunner

• 1,705 posts

Posted Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:29 PM

Can you shoot me a PM about this?

There really isn't much more to say than what I posted :-D

#24 thegoldenband OFFLINE  

thegoldenband

River Patroller

• 4,036 posts

Posted Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:59 PM

Hmmm, I've had just about zero luck burning ISO or ISO/CUE format with Disk Utility or other similar programs, and ISO/WAV/CUE or ISO/MP3/CUE seem out of the question on Mac.

BIN/CUE, OTOH, works perfectly with Burn, with the exception of 3DO games which don't seem to work.

#25 goldenegg ONLINE  

goldenegg

Stargunner

• 1,705 posts

Posted Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:01 PM

If bare ISO files (without any other supporting files like CUE or audio files) aren't burning properly for you in Disk Utility, there's either something wrong with the image or the media you're using isn't liked by whatever you're trying to use it on.

If you have an image with a CUE sheet and/or separate music files, you'll need to use one of the two apps I listed above.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users