IGNORED

Media mail and feedback

shadow460

I had something that I feel is pretty rare shipped to me by media mail. It doesn't qualify for media mail, and I was kinda upset that the risk was taken on a rare item. Said item arrived several days late but in perfect shape and very well packed. I think taking a risk like that bars positive feedback at all. As a seller, I know the Post Office's rules and I follow them. Why can't everyone else?

For many years, my PO allowed me to send carts via MM, but I decided voluntarily to stop doing it after other POs started enforcing things being sent to me and I asked my local PO about it.. The few bucks is not worth the risk (particularly of the package being opened and the contents disturbed (or disappeared)). I don't know if I'd decline giving any feedback, but I would definitely downgrade the number of stars. Sellers should know better, and if the PO was better about enforcing its own regs this would cease to be an issue.

I understand the item should not have been shipped mm. Since the item arrived undamaged and was packed well I would leave a pos But I would subtract some stars for the item arriving late. My question is were the shipping fees you paid high enough to ship a premium shipping service or was this shipping something crazy low like 3 bucks for a 2lb item from east to west coast.

• Like 1

I was charged $6 for combined shipping on three items, but the actual cost was $2.57. The package was 15 ounces. All three items in the box were pictured against Priority Mail flat rate boxes, but the shipping service was identified as "Standard Shipping". I really am not worried about the shipping cost because packing material costs money and the person's time they spend packing items is worth something also. They could have easily charged me $4 per item to ship and that would have more than paid for priority shipping and the time and material used in packing, and I still could not have gotten my wallet out fast enough.

The whole thing that bugs me is that the seller misused media mail and took a risk just to save a few bucks. It's almost as if they used combined shipping to increase the chance of a good final value (the final value was ridiculously low), and then used media mail to ensure they still made enough money on shipping to cover the cost of packaging material. Here's a tip: If you want the buyer to cover the cost of packing the item, put the item up in a fixed price auction with free shipping, and set the price at what the item is worth plus whatever you would want to charge for "shipping and handling". You can name your own price for shipping that way, and the buyer has to agree to it before the sale.

I was charged $6 for combined shipping on three items, but the actual cost was $2.57. The package was 15 ounces. All three items in the box were pictured against Priority Mail flat rate boxes, but the shipping service was identified as "Standard Shipping". I really am not worried about the shipping cost because packing material costs money and the person's time they spend packing items is worth something also. They could have easily charged me $4 per item to ship and that would have more than paid for priority shipping and the time and material used in packing, and I still could not have gotten my wallet out fast enough.

The whole thing that bugs me is that the seller misused media mail and took a risk just to save a few bucks. It's almost as if they used combined shipping to increase the chance of a good final value (the final value was ridiculously low), and then used media mail to ensure they still made enough money on shipping to cover the cost of packaging material. Here's a tip: If you want the buyer to cover the cost of packing the item, put the item up in a fixed price auction with free shipping, and set the price at what the item is worth plus whatever you would want to charge for "shipping and handling". You can name your own price for shipping that way, and the buyer has to agree to it before the sale.

That didnt happen to come from indianapolis did it?

Oh Snap!, It was LOL I just saw the feedback you left.

iconNeu_16x16.gif

Games were in perfect condition, but video games DO NOT SHIP BY MEDIA MAIL!

I purchased a game from this seller as well. My package was well packed and shipped first class since mine weighed 12 oz.

I have a case open with this seller that may result in a red neg if everything is not resolved. but on the otherhand if the seller does what is right I will leave a pos with a simple thanks or something like that.

Edited by nopaybob

As a seller I would not ship anything via Media Mail that doesn't fit into that class. I've had my local post office open Media Mail packages and threaten to charge me the difference between Media Mail and Priority Mail, and I've also had items DISAPPEAR from opened Media Mail packages. As a seller your package will take longer to arrive (something buyers just love), and you risk problems with the package if the post office opens it and discovers your item(s) don't qualify for Media Mail.

But, as we know, many sellers will do anything possible to squeeze every last penny from a transaction, so I don't expect this behavior to stop until the post office cracks down on it. And realistically with the volume of mail they do, I don't expect that to happen. More plausible would be the elimination of Media Mail altogether.

..Al

I dislike it when people send things Media Mail when they clearly do not qualify, and I have on multiple occasions had to pay up when the mail man arrived because the package was checked at the sorting facility. I do not ship Media Mail myself either unless it qualifies. For rare items in particular, it's Priority or nothing.

Yup. I had a large carnival glass cannister sent media mail. It was packed very poorly to boot and it received a small chip as a result. Can't stand it when sellers do that. I reported the seller to the post office. I'll payfor regular shipping, really I will!

• Like 1

Yep, that's the feedback. I was expecting the games to arrive last Friday, but I do understand there are delays sometimes that the seller can't help. They don't run the Post Office.

Two things kept this from being negative feedback: The package was definitely capable of withstanding the abuse generated by media mail, and the three carts look like they just came out of the retail box for the very first time. The books (which were my sole reason for buying the games) are in great condition.

I don't really know how to "correct" the action of risking a rare instruction book with media mail. The damage is done. $6 is a bit high for shipping, but not outrageous when the item is packed well. It's not really worth asking for a $2 refund when that $2 paid for ghost farts, bubble wrap, tape, etc, plus the time to pack it all up.

I'm with Albert, though. Media Mail needs to go. I would never use it to send something I sell on ebay unless the buyer requested it AND the item qualified for it. Heck, I even tend to shy away from parcel post unless what I'm shipping is really heavy. Still, it's easy to click right through shipping when you choose a Priority Mail flat rate option. It might cost me a little more than what ebay allows for shipping, but I'm cool with that in an auction listing. If I list it fixed price, the extra shipping cost that ebay won't let me charge is added into the buy it now price.

@nopaybob: I was seriously considering getting Exocet from that same seller, but it was going higher than what I wanted to pay. Now I'm glad I held off.

Edited by shadow460

Here's what I put on my About Me page on eBay:

Lately, a few buyers have requested that I ship their items via Media Mail to save some money. Unfortunately, I cannot do this as games (in any format) are note eligible for Media Mail. My local post office takes this very seriously and they do inspect packages. Here is a helpful link on this matter.

It is amazing how many sellers have asked me to ship via MM.

Yep, that's the feedback. I was expecting the games to arrive last Friday, but I do understand there are delays sometimes that the seller can't help. They don't run the Post Office.

Two things kept this from being negative feedback: The package was definitely capable of withstanding the abuse generated by media mail, and the three carts look like they just came out of the retail box for the very first time. The books (which were my sole reason for buying the games) are in great condition.

I don't really know how to "correct" the action of risking a rare instruction book with media mail. The damage is done. $6 is a bit high for shipping, but not outrageous when the item is packed well. It's not really worth asking for a $2 refund when that $2 paid for ghost farts, bubble wrap, tape, etc, plus the time to pack it all up.

I'm with Albert, though. Media Mail needs to go. I would never use it to send something I sell on ebay unless the buyer requested it AND the item qualified for it. Heck, I even tend to shy away from parcel post unless what I'm shipping is really heavy. Still, it's easy to click right through shipping when you choose a Priority Mail flat rate option. It might cost me a little more than what ebay allows for shipping, but I'm cool with that in an auction listing. If I list it fixed price, the extra shipping cost that ebay won't let me charge is added into the buy it now price.

@nopaybob: I was seriously considering getting Exocet from that same seller, but it was going higher than what I wanted to pay. Now I'm glad I held off.

I got that sweet looking Subterranea but alas it was doa I wanted it to work so bad I tried it on 5 dif atari's :_(

Man, a neutral feedback for that. As a seller on Ebay, it is hard enough dealing with the normal issues that arise, let alone someone who complains when an item arrives without any real issues. An email to the seller to let them know you thought that shipping media mail was not proper would have sufficed, in my opinion. That neutral hurts that seller more than you know. I do not advocate shipping items that are not media, media mail, but the post office can and does open media mail boxes (just received one this month that said opened by the USPS to verify contents -- the first ever and I have bought thousands of items over the years). Hopefully you let the seller know before leaving the neutral feedback and not just taking the opinions of everyone on this board.

I wouldn't say leaving a neutral simply for *sending* the item media mail is cool, but I would have contacted him and voiced my displeasure. Now, if he *charged* you a premium price and shipped media mail to pad his profit with the shipping, then definitely at the least a neutral is warranted, if not a negative. It's sad all the steps ebay has taken to stop that crap and it still happens (albeit not as often).

I got that sweet looking Subterranea but alas it was doa I wanted it to work so bad I tried it on 5 dif atari's :_(

Save the cart anyway. I'd ask for a partial refund and then consider having the cart repaired. By the way, I've had at least one Subterranea die on me. It sucks when a rare game dies!

LOL, it's a good thing I already have the book to Subterranea. I'd have probably left negative feedback over that plus the media mail shipping. If I hadn't had the book already, I'd have been bidding on that game myself.

BTW, I was charged almost 3x the actual cost of shipping. I know that neutral feedback hurts a seller, but something had to be done to get their attention. They could have just deleted an email and kept on shipping away, risking every buyer's item until someone's stuff got lost in the mail. I hate having to be the person who leaves bad feedback of any kind, but someone has to.

I'm a seller too, and I just dealt with my first return. I screwed up on an item, but I made double certain my buyer got their money back and did not have to hassle with me at all to get it. The situation was completely reversible with a refund, so that's what I did.

Edited by shadow460

Save the cart anyway. I'd ask for a partial refund and then consider having the cart repaired.

I asked for a partial refund since I wanted the manual but they wanted like 20 and to send the dead game back as requirement, I didnt like that deal so I went with there first offer to send everything back for a full refund. I have asked for them to reimburse for return postage.

( if they dont cover the additional 2.82 return postage I will neg them. )

Maybe they will relist as nonworking but after the hassle of these games it may find the trash can which would be sad.

BTW, I was charged almost 3x the actual cost of shipping.

I don't like it when that happens. Really don't like it. And then when you bring it to Mr. & Ms. Shifty's attention, they whinge about the cost of gas, waiting in line at the PO, buying a roll of tape, and blah blah blah. Not acceptable. Sellers - and I say this as a seller myself - should try to be as accurate as possible with shipping costs.

• Like 4

I don't see what the big deal is with Media Mail. I have been a seller / collector for over 10 years now and have never had a problem with one of my buyers because of Media Mail. In fact I have had somebody with Delivery Confirmation say they never received their package, USPS confirmed it was delivered, and I lost the case!

I do sparingly use it though on the thousands of items I've shipped over the years since most of the time it is actually cheaper to ship first class or just a teeny bit more. (I would suspect that those that ship packages that are better off first class are either complete cheapskates or inexperienced.) I probably have averaged using it once or twice a month during that time. It's mostly used on strategy guides since they are heavier and the next step up unfortunately is Priority which is 2 to 3 times more on a $10 or less item most of the time. Thank you Media Mail for allowing me to complete a sale that otherwise I would have lost money on or had to cancel the order due to high shipping costs.

BTW, I was charged almost 3x the actual cost of shipping. I know that neutral feedback hurts a seller, but something had to be done to get their attention. They could have just deleted an email and kept on shipping away, risking every buyer's item until someone's stuff got lost in the mail. I hate having to be the person who leaves bad feedback of any kind, but someone has to.

You were absolutely right to do so and should *not* feel a moment's hesitancy for it. Having left a neutral in my opinion you were being kind. We all know the argument, but in reality the seller is using a deceptive practice to make more money off you. It would be like someone charging an extra percentage or two in sales tax knowing that you won't find out it happened until after it's too late. They're hiding behind a legitimate cost and jacking it up.

I do sparingly use it though on the thousands of items I've shipped over the years since most of the time it is actually cheaper to ship first class or just a teeny bit more. (I would suspect that those that ship packages that are better off first class are either complete cheapskates or inexperienced.) I probably have averaged using it once or twice a month during that time. It's mostly used on strategy guides since they are heavier and the next step up unfortunately is Priority which is 2 to 3 times more on a $10 or less item most of the time. Thank you Media Mail for allowing me to complete a sale that otherwise I would have lost money on or had to cancel the order due to high shipping costs.

Something like a strategy guide (bound printed matter) is exactly what Media Mail is intended for, so that's not an issue here. Doing a quick check, I see where the USPS has further refined the definition of what can go via MM:

"The material sent must be educational media. It can’t contain advertising, video games, computer drives, or digital drives of any kind."

At one point, cartridge games had been ruled out, but disk-based games were okay. Looks like they went the easy route and eliminated all video games no matter what the medium for storage.

Media Mail should be eligible for anything printed (i.e. newspapers, magazines, pamplets, and books) that is not personal correspondence, film in any format, and video games (just the games, nothing else that goes with them). That is what it started out as and that is how I still treat it. In other words, things that have been created by humans for entertainment purposes are media, artwork not included but people have abused it to no end to ruin it for us all. I've heard post office workers say they have stopped people from shipping clothes media mail and countless other things.

I asked for a partial refund since I wanted the manual but they wanted like 20 and to send the dead game back as requirement, I didnt like that deal so I went with there first offer to send everything back for a full refund. I have asked for them to reimburse for return postage.

( if they dont cover the additional 2.82 return postage I will neg them. )

Maybe they will relist as nonworking but after the hassle of these games it may find the trash can which would be sad.

Well I am getting ready to leave a neg for this seller. Before the case was closed I informed the seller I would like to be reimbursed for return shipping. I have received a refund for the original purchase and the case was closed. I just tried to contact the seller but it seems I am blocked from sending any type of message to this person.

Media Mail should be eligible for anything printed (i.e. newspapers, magazines, pamplets, and books) that is not personal correspondence, film in any format, and video games (just the games, nothing else that goes with them). That is what it started out as and that is how I still treat it. In other words, things that have been created by humans for entertainment purposes are media, artwork not included but people have abused it to no end to ruin it for us all. I've heard post office workers say they have stopped people from shipping clothes media mail and countless other things.

Your definition of what constitutes media mail is not what the post office considers to be media mail and has no relevance. Please refer to the post immediately above yours.

Your definition of what constitutes media mail is not what the post office considers to be media mail and has no relevance. Please refer to the post immediately above yours.

I already knew before posting that my definition of Media Mail is not the same as the USPS. I was giving my opinion (that is what forums are for), and actually it does have relevance because what I just listed as media mail eligible items used to actually be the USPS definition of Media Mail. It's unfortunate that people have abused it by shipping jars of jelly or other obvious non-media items because it is making it much harder to ship using that service. It has saved me from canceling book orders or other heavy media items since they can make you eat a lot of the shipping costs when sites charge the buyer the same shipping costs regardless of the item. I still occasionally use Media Mail when shipping items that fit my definition and the postal employees know it because they believe the same thing I do.

Edited by frrrosty3