IGNORED

Tiny Toons

Atari2008

3. Soccer Kid - I had no clue that there was a 3DO version! Soccer Kid was one of the Jaguar games I was looking into as it is a platformer and a homebrew. I did see that it has an $80 pricetag. Never thought of a 3DO not even when they first came out, not many platformers on that system either, ey? I remember Gex was a big deal but I don't think they had many others.

Have there been any homebrew platformers?

the 3DO platformer library is as sparse as the Jag's for sure. They had Soccer kid, Gex, and Johnny Bazookatone. To their benefit they had a popular platformer (gex) a year before it came out on other systems rather than at the same time (Rayman).

As ACrystal noted there wass Jungle Jag (a homebrew platformer) that was put together for the JagCode plus some of the Retro style ones. But as you said the genesis and SNES are definitely much better place to look if it's a genre you're looking to play alot of. I think the Bubsy games on the 16-bit systems are much better than the JAguar counterpart which is too bad because i really liked the other ones.

& yea I totally forgot about pitfall :P

Edited by Willard

the 3DO platformer library is as sparse as the Jag's for sure. They had Soccer kid, Gex, and Johnny Bazookatone. To their benefit they had a popular platformer (gex) a year before it came out on other systems rather than at the same time (Rayman).

As ACrystal noted there wass Jungle Jag (a homebrew platformer) that was put together for the JagCode plus some of the Retro style ones. But as you said the genesis and SNES are definitely much better place to look if it's a genre you're looking to play alot of. I think the Bubsy games on the 16-bit systems are much better than the JAguar counterpart which is too bad because i really liked the other ones.

& yea I totally forgot about pitfall :P

Thanks Willard! I looked up Jungle Jag - it does look totally up my alley. A very nice looking game and of course a platformer. :) I figured the 3DO library would be just as sparse since it was also an unpopular console. I've never played Bubsy on the Jag, but I'm surprised by how bad people say it is, since I remember it being cool on the other systems. Oh well, I finally did get a Jag emulator working so I'll play the few that it has just to get a feel. Zool 2 was a fave of mine back in the day, so it's been fun re-playing it. I forgot how cool it was! But I recognize that it's a rarity in the library. ;)

Bubsy if you liked it on the Genesis then you'll like it on the Jag, The problem is just the design of the game and the fact that if you touch anything then you die, plus you have to listen to him talk, and after a while it is like torcher, same effect as playing Cybermorph, Where Did you learn to fly, crash....not the worst Jag game, we have a ton, and not unplayable, just dificult, luckily you should be able to find it in the 5-$10 range so you shouldn't feel to jipped by the buy

$120 doesn't sound bad at all. Sure the game probably sucks but at least it's one of those rare pieces to show off to my friends..."hey look at this unreleased Jaguar game that hardly anyone's seen." To which I'm sure they'll reply, "and this is why the Jaguar sucked." :)

I'll have to check out Bubsy, it doesn't look so bad to me from YouTube videos but then again I'm a side-scrolling platformer fan so I'm biased. Not bad that Bubsy can be obtained so cheaply, although obtaining a Jaguar console cheaply is another matter... :)

YES!!!!!!!! I was in heaven when I bought Rayman. It quickly became my favorite game on the Jag, period. It was like a cartoon come to life, the game was full of life and bursting with color and originality. It was what I hoped the Jag library would be like. You're making the Jag tempting....

if your wanting to love the Jag but only want the cheaper games then here is the list Tempteset 2000, Super Burnout, DOOM, Wolf 3D, NBA JAM, Theme Park, Rayman, Power Drive Ralley, Raiden

Get those 10 games and don't look back everyone will ask how could Jag fail with games like this...

• Like 4

if your wanting to love the Jag but only want the cheaper games then here is the list Tempteset 2000, Super Burnout, DOOM, Wolf 3D, NBA JAM, Theme Park, Rayman, Power Drive Ralley, Raiden

Get those 10 games and don't look back everyone will ask how could Jag fail with games like this...

That's a good list actually! Tempest 2000, Rayman, and Theme Park were among my faves when I had the Jag back in the day. I haven't played the others but I've heard good things about them too. I won't demand a full recount but I say Zool 2 belongs on that list. :)

How much do Jags go for these days anyway? Sadly I sold mine boxed a few years ago for around just $40 on eBay. It was low demand at the time.

• 5 years later...