IGNORED

Nightmare On Elm Street (Atari 2600) WIP

Atari Adam

No offense, but do you know how much revenue the average homebrew generates in terms of cost vs. sales? If you count labor as billable hours, as theloon is saying, homebrews never even reach the break-even point. These are things that are done out of passion and out of love for the hobby by guys that we respect above and beyond anyone else in the Atari community. This, in itself, is great, but do you really think New Line Cinema is going to see "passion" and "love" as substitutes for dollar bills? Definitely not. There has been one homebrew to date that got licensing rights -- Boulder Dash -- and that was an incredibly expensive process, easily the most expensive portion of the development of the game. That was a small studio with a (relatively) obscure game, something as large as Freddy is not going to be something that the licensing rights will be taken lightly. Devaluation of the brand will be very close to the chest for New Line Cinema, and they will want some serious numbers as to production runs, sales, etc. before they will even consider allowing rights. For a console released in the late 70s, that's just not going to happen. A run of even 250 carts/boxes (which is a VERY generous estimate of sales) isn't even remotely scratching the tip of the iceberg in terms of what they'd be willing to do.

Thus, even if they were to allow licensing to occur, it's going to be incredibly expensive, likely easily five times more expensive than the number required to make a project like this feasible. If you are an erstwhile millionaire and want to do this as a philanthropic gesture to the Atari community, then great, I'd love to see it, but unless you have at least 5 figures to sink into something with absolutely ZERO return on investment, this project will be going nowhere fast.

I understand that. But it is not entirely true. I worked at Diamond Comics for some time, they had the rights to use the name on select toys etc... There where times maybe once a year they would do a limited run of a Freddy statue at 100 a piece and a total run of 100 statues. Just throwing that out there.

what if, for the sake of the game and to cut cost on IP, I change the name slightly. The rights to the name "A Nightmare On Elm Street" are in fact owned by New Line Cinema. What if I just simply called it "Nightmares On Elm Street" (no rights needed) and changed the character name to Freddie instead of Freddy (also licensed by New Line Cinema) and just changed the colors a little bit on the sweater?

Edited by Atari Adam

Again, I know it sounds pretty negative but please take the advice here as solid gold. As a developer I've learned that any feedback is wonderful. Not just for debugging but also things that would normally blindside me.

Take the name "Splatterhouse Video Games" Did you know Splatterhouse is already trademarked?

http://www.trademark...e-76674141.html

Even big names like the Minecraft boys got in hot water over one word: Scrolls

The thing about slightly varying the name is brand confusion. Does your IP confuse or dilute their brand? If so, you lose the lawsuit. Even worse, you had a lawsuit in the first place. He who has the most money for litigation wins.

You'd think you could argue the parody angle, but that sucks too. For instance, did you see the Freddy Care-Bear logo on that cart for my game? If I tried to sell it commercially I'd be scrizzooed. One cannot use another brand as a lens to parody something else.

Edited by theloon

I understand that. But it is not entirely true. I worked at Diamond Comics for some time, they had the rights to use the name on select toys etc... There where times maybe once a year they would do a limited run of a Freddy statue at 100 a piece and a total run of 100 statues. Just throwing that out there.

It could be that they're used to dealing with smaller run items for sale at conventions and such. You should follow-up on it. Maybe you'll have something valuable to teach the community here.

Were the 100 run statues reasonably priced?

what if, for the sake of the game and to cut cost on IP, I change the name slightly. The rights to the name "A Nightmare On Elm Street" are in fact owned by New Line Cinema. What if I just simply called it "Nightmares On Elm Street" (no rights needed) and changed the character name to Freddie instead of Freddy (also licensed by New Line Cinema) and just changed the colors a little bit on the sweater?

That won't fly. Infringement cases are launched based on confusing-similarity all the time, rather than direct infringement. Check out Apple suing an online grocer that uses a green apple logo.

It could be that they're used to dealing with smaller run items for sale at conventions and such. You should follow-up on it. Maybe you'll have something valuable to teach the community here.

Were the 100 run statues reasonably priced?

That won't fly. Infringement cases are launched based on confusing-similarity all the time, rather than direct infringement. Check out Apple suing an online grocer that uses a green apple logo.

They where $100.00 per statue.

I'd say soak in the advice. My gut says no. Secure a license first or find something horror related that has entered the public domain. Maybe partner with an indie film or comic artist and use that IP.

Also, ask yourself if an Atari 2600 is the appropriate system for your game. It has some major constraints. I would consider trying Game Maker and making a prototype you can show people - especially potential developers. You may end up just sticking with Game Maker and cranking out a PC, Mac, iOS or Android version from it!

http://www.yoyogames.com/gamemaker/studio

Edited by theloon
  • Like 1

ok, so after a lot of thought, and wanting to present myself properly on AtariAge, I think I will call it stop on this project (for no anyways). After reading everyones input (and thank you all for that) i will start small, and build up to IP's like A Nightmare On Elm Street. I think everyone is right. Start small, build the trust and fan base and work from there. I appreciate everyones feed back. I have an idea for an indie horror game, a title that isn't in any copyright or trademarked. I will keep messing with batari, its tough though. Thanks again everyone.

10/14/2012: I am excited to say that we have a programmer and another contributor making the sprites for A Nightmare On Elm Street Atari 2600 video game.

Things are back on track so KEEP POSTED! PAC-MAN-RED has agreed to do the sprite work for this game along with upcoming programmer game hack maker Rabbit 2600 working on the programming of the game itself! We will be posting the pictures of the sprites as soon as they are done. Once programming begins be sure to keep posted for screen shots of this upcoming release.

10/14/2012: The first look at the very first sprite for the game is now available for view. Designed and made by Illya Wilson (A.K.A. PAC-MAN-RED) this will give you all a first look at what Freddy will look like in the game. I hope you all enjoy and keep posted!

Halo 2600 was an easy license considering it was made by the maker of Halo. For individuals to get the license rights it doesn't happen often on here. For every 1 licensed game on Atari Age there probably 3-5 games not being licensed and still put out to the community whom buy them and snatch them right up. This is what I can tell anyway from being on Atari Age for a little while.

• 11 months later...

Any news on getting the rights to make this game? You did hear what happened to another popular title, right?

Halo 2600 was an easy license considering it was made by the maker of Halo. For individuals to get the license rights it doesn't happen often on here. For every 1 licensed game on Atari Age there probably 3-5 games not being licensed and still put out to the community whom buy them and snatch them right up. This is what I can tell anyway from being on Atari Age for a little while.

Without respecting copyright and trademark holders I fear another project with personal investment will have a short life.

Any news on getting the rights to make this game? You did hear what happened to another popular title, right?

Without respecting copyright and trademark holders I fear another project with personal investment will have a short life.

I have contacted all proper people at New Line Cinema including head of public relations and now it is just a wait game really. I explained the game in full, what it is and what it will be and gave them all proper links and information regarding the game. As for now, that is all I can do until I hear back.

• Like 1