Photo

Space Sims making a comeback (Chris Roberts)

Wing Commander

110 replies to this topic

#101 Reaperman ONLINE  

Reaperman

Quadrunner

• 5,864 posts

Posted Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:15 AM

3.0 is live for all backers as of today, and I've just given it about an hour of my time.  This one is worth a look.  I don't play all the updates, but I'm really glad I tried this one out.  I set out to explore an outpost on some moon, but failed miserably.

Captain's log:

• Spoiler

Edited by Reaperman, Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:42 AM.

#102 Reaperman ONLINE  

Reaperman

Quadrunner

• 5,864 posts

Posted Sat May 19, 2018 11:23 AM

So it's been a while.  Star Citizen recently released alpha 3.14--which finally seems almost stable enough for me to try out.

Since I've been doing youtube lately, I thought I'd capture so footage of me fumbling through the current version while rambling about star citizen in general.  Yes, the FPS really is that rough.

#103 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

Telephone Sanitizer

• 14,252 posts

Posted Sat May 19, 2018 12:19 PM

3.14, the pi release!

You follow the SC scene ...is there a free to try way to mess around with this?

I'm not ever going to buy into this or play it seriously, but it would be fun to see how it plays on my computer.

#104 Reaperman ONLINE  

Reaperman

Quadrunner

• 5,864 posts

Posted Sat May 19, 2018 12:46 PM

...is there a free to try way to mess around with this?

I'm not ever going to buy into this or play it seriously, but it would be fun to see how it plays on my computer.

a few times a year they do a free-fly weeks for everybody.  They had one just a bit ago, but they usually do it around the convention times.

gamescom is coming in aug.

'citizencon' is coming in oct

both are fair bets.

the announcements (and sooper-sekrit code) usually come on their thursday 'around the verse' show on their youtube.

Additionally, starter packs are generally offered at discounts during those times.

But the game isn't so much system dependent right now, as it is server dependent.  Your performance will probably be like everybody elses'--really terrible.

Edited by Reaperman, Sat May 19, 2018 1:03 PM.

#105 Flojomojo OFFLINE  

Flojomojo

Telephone Sanitizer

• 14,252 posts

Posted Sat May 19, 2018 3:09 PM

That's discouraging ... I admire your enthusiasm while I'm happy I never jumped into this pool. Perhaps they'll make it free with micro transactions to grow the player base someday.

#106 Reaperman ONLINE  

Reaperman

Quadrunner

• 5,864 posts

Posted Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:15 PM

One of those free fly events starts tomorrow per the video below (~8:32, since it ignores my timestamp link).  Nothing's at the site yet, but historically the roberts space industries site gets a glowing link at the top with details when it goes live.

Edited by Reaperman, Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:16 PM.

#107 Reaperman ONLINE  

Reaperman

Quadrunner

• 5,864 posts

Posted Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:58 PM

So I tried the new version 3.2.2 and had a successful time.  I generally don't play the game for fear of burnout, but watch update videos on youtube.  Frame rates are much improved (they'd been talking about that for 3.2.0, but I hadn't tried until now).  Frames still dipped into the teens for me, but much less than before.  Even on the station with other players and ships, I was seeing 30+ fps at least half the time, and when I got off on my own, the vast majority of the time it was nearly 40.  Not great given my specs, but the highest I've had in this game's open world.  

Specs.

Spoiler

It's also free fly week and saturday night, so the FPS boost was especially surprising.

For my travels, I got into a ship, headed to Daymar (the orange moon), killed a drake buccaneer (labeled as a pirate), and a cutlass black (not labeled as a pirate, but he shot at me).  Landed at an aid station, watched sunrise, flew over the planet some more until I got bored, because I forgot to bring my own fun and there's no game yet.  Quantum drive activation has changed and takes getting used to, also I notice glitches when it comes to looking out my ship's back door (it doesn't render a universe outside until I disembark, and the ramp into the void is unnerving, when I've landed and have no idea if the ramp is touching the ground or not)

Nice patch, but I think I've already played enough of it to get the idea.

Edited by Reaperman, Sat Aug 25, 2018 11:16 PM.

#108 Rocket Man OFFLINE  

Rocket Man

Chopper Commander

• 101 posts

Posted Sun Sep 9, 2018 7:38 PM

I heard they charge for people to watch gameplay... is that true?

#109 HammR25 OFFLINE  

HammR25

Quadrunner

• 5,252 posts
  • Happy Fun Ball

Posted Sun Sep 9, 2018 8:43 PM

They were going to charge people to livestream their latest CitizenCon but backtracked.  Otherwise no, they've never charged people to watch gameplay.

https://www.techspot...tal-passes.html

#110 Reaperman ONLINE  

Reaperman

Quadrunner

• 5,864 posts

Posted Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:25 PM

Citizencon livestreams are going.  

livestreams going here (and schedule)

a bunch of recorded stuff from today here

Looks like I missed the keynote and it's not available recorded yet.  I kind of want to see if there is squadron42 news.

Right now some guy is going on about custom faces on the main stage, and on the other stage, some guy talking about sound effects.  I guess the face one is neater than I thought it'd be, but I don't know how into that I really am.  They do look really good for procedural heads with random gear/attachments.

Edited by Reaperman, Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:55 PM.

#111 Reaperman ONLINE  

Reaperman

Quadrunner

• 5,864 posts

Posted Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:00 PM

So once again, despite not being especially close to release, star citizen is still one of the most impressive things I've ever seen, and once again, I get the feeling I will say exactly the same thing after next year's citizencon too.  It's better every year, and yeah, I surely do want to play a game that's pretty much like what's being shown off.

Edited by Reaperman, Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:04 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Wing Commander

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users