IGNORED

A Question (or Two) of Rarity

nukeshed

Hey all,

Looking at the Second Edition (which I printed out a long time ago) and the current edition of Valter's pretty damned awesome Rarity Guide, I want to know what you would believe the rarity of these two games which I didnt see in the list, Lady Bug and Slap Shot Super Pro Hockey, as considered to the Rarity Legend in his guide. Only for the reason that I know so I can continue to find all the lowest rarity games and move up as I go (since I miraculously seem to be missing a few common ones, which blows my mind)

Further more, are there some games that are easier to find internationally? I seem to remember that there seems to be quite a comments that the European eBays make it easier to find some of the rarer Parker Brothers games, but if that makes it less rare, or not, who knows?

Thanks,

Lady Bug should be easier to find than Slap Shot. I believe the average going rate for Slap Shot is $30. Lady Bug i'd have to guess on but i'm sure it goes for under $20 complete.

I think I paid like 30plus for lady bug, I cant recall but it was the german variant, then I think cmart grab the last 5 :)

So calling these 'Rare', as in straight up middle of the road, harder than uncommon, but less rare than Extremely Rare (Truckin', Dig Dug, Diner) and Unbelievably Rare (Spiker, SMB, Learning Fun) wouldn't be over stating their value?

The rare guide seems to change with the time. Some games once considered rare are no longer rare, while I personally feel there are gamesmore rare than spiker. For example it took me a lot longer to get league of light than it did spiker. And I have seem spiker in auctions a lot more than league of light.

Actually, there is a very accurate rarity guide. Its called Cmart. If you have a question on how rare something is, asking him is the best. Since starting my intv collection I seem to find myself asking question on diffrences and rarity.

I think I paid like 30plus for lady bug, I cant recall but it was the german variant, then I think cmart grab the last 5 :)

It was around $39-40, I guess the rarity increased now that Cmart owns all the copies!

LOL! Just to be clear, I only bought one copy, no hoarding occurred on this title, hopefully others were able to benefit from stc's heads up. :thumbsup: :)

LOL! Just to be clear, I only bought one copy, no hoarding occurred on this title, hopefully others were able to benefit from stc's heads up. :thumbsup: :)

I got one last week. yeah seem like once he posted it, they sold out asap.

Edited by voltron

Lady Bug should be easier to find than Slap Shot. I believe the average going rate for Slap Shot is $30. Lady Bug i'd have to guess on but i'm sure it goes for under $20 complete.

Yeah, if I had to pull a number out of my hat, I'd say around $18 for Lady Bug, but sometimes I've seen it drift toward $22ish. Strangely, it's the last Coleco game I need CIB -- I have a loose copy, but that's it. Of course, it's not easy to find a copy in nice shape, as with all Coleco games.

Now that I think about it, Slap Shot is the only Super Pro game I don't have CIB except for the three heaviest hitters (Body Slam, Stadium Mud Buggies, Spiker).

To the initial question, I'd call the Coleco release of LadyBug uncommon, but quite hard to find with a box in great shape, (which holds true of all 8 of the Coleco releases, except maybe DK coming mint from Venezuela).

As for Slap Shot, I would call that uncommon + if I can make up a rating, as it can certainly be found on ebay pretty much all the time, but I find it fetches a premium relative to its Super Pro peers......

(oh oh, I feel a variation/ranking discussion coming on.....hmmmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a variation thread......ummmm, yep, feels like that's what going to happen.) :-D

Oh yeah, one final answer before I head off on my tangent, two of the Parker titles, Super Cobra and Tutankham, were not released in the US, so they are definitely easier to find in Europe and the UK.

OK, on to my variation/rarity ranking discussion. Let's start with Slap Shot and where it fits in amongst its peers, which I'll define as the other INTV Corp released "Sports/Sportish" titles. (With a couple of Nice Ideas titles thrown in)

Ranking them from the most common to the rarest:

13. World Championship Baseball - one player vs CPU? Nuff said.

12. Super Pro Football - I love this game by the way. It, along with WC Baseball, are probably the two Intellivision games I've played the most.

11. Slam Dunk SP Basketball - managing your team is/was really cool. Who here didn't max out their payroll and handicap the CPU with a tiny budget? :-D

10. Chip Shot Super Pro Golf - I discovered this game late and really enjoy it, including on my iPhone while I'm waiting in my doctor's office

9. Slap Shot SP Hockey - not a ton of difference from the original NHL Hockey, mostly different passing and the 1P option

8. World Cup Soccer - threw the two Nice Ideas titles in as they were supposed to be the SP version of Soccer and Tennis but were released later in France. These two have become more available recently, in large part to an Italian seller who clearly has a big hoard of them.

7. Championship Tennis - I'll call this the rarer of the two, but not by much

6. Pole Position - another one that seems to be hard to find in a great box, but is usually available.

5. Super Pro Decathlon - This is a really good title, maybe one that many INTV fans might not have played

4. Mountain Madness SP Skiing - yet another sports title that I enjoyed as a kid in its initial incarnation, and rediscovered later in this updated version

3. Body Slam! SP Wrestling - Still haven't played this much, need to do so. INTVDude is a big fan of this.

2. SMB - (Not Super Mario Bros)

1. Some random Volleyball game that's usually pretty cheap to buy. ;)

On to Coleco and CBS....my main thought here is that there are a staggering number of variations of these, when you add in the different box art and languages, and as a result, including the CBS versions currently available from Europe and the UK, some of these titles have become much easier to acquire if you don't require your collection to be all the original Coleco release versions.

I suspect I have one of the larger Coleco/CBS variation collections and there are still quite a few versions that I'm aware of and don't yet have and yet I have... (pause writing this post to run down to the CMart Inc vaults to get an approximate number of CIB titles currently on my shelves)....49 different versions of the 8 games :-o , and I'm aware of at least 4 or 5 more.

What's great is that we keep finding new versions we didn't know existed, which gives me hope that I'll still be scouring eBay at 90 trying to finish my damn collection. :P (Only to die just after hitting "send money" on my PayPal account for the very last Intellivision variant I needed). Doh!

To the initial question, I'd call the Coleco release of LadyBug uncommon, but quite hard to find with a box in great shape, (which holds true of all 8 of the Coleco releases, except maybe DK coming mint from Venezuela).

As for Slap Shot, I would call that uncommon + if I can make up a rating, as it can certainly be found on ebay pretty much all the time, but I find it fetches a premium relative to its Super Pro peers......

(oh oh, I feel a variation/ranking discussion coming on.....hmmmm, I wonder if I can turn this into a variation thread......ummmm, yep, feels like that's what going to happen.) :-D

Oh yeah, one final answer before I head off on my tangent, two of the Parker titles, Super Cobra and Tutankham, were not released in the US, so they are definitely easier to find in Europe and the UK.

OK, on to my variation/rarity ranking discussion. Let's start with Slap Shot and where it fits in amongst its peers, which I'll define as the other INTV Corp released "Sports/Sportish" titles. (With a couple of Nice Ideas titles thrown in)

Ranking them from the most common to the rarest:

13. World Championship Baseball - one player vs CPU? Nuff said.

12. Super Pro Football - I love this game by the way. It, along with WC Baseball, are probably the two Intellivision games I've played the most.

11. Slam Dunk SP Basketball - managing your team is/was really cool. Who here didn't max out their payroll and handicap the CPU with a tiny budget? :-D

10. Chip Shot Super Pro Golf - I discovered this game late and really enjoy it, including on my iPhone while I'm waiting in my doctor's office

9. Slap Shot SP Hockey - not a ton of difference from the original NHL Hockey, mostly different passing and the 1P option

8. World Cup Soccer - threw the two Nice Ideas titles in as they were supposed to be the SP version of Soccer and Tennis but were released later in France. These two have become more available recently, in large part to an Italian seller who clearly has a big hoard of them.

7. Championship Tennis - I'll call this the rarer of the two, but not by much

6. Pole Position - another one that seems to be hard to find in a great box, but is usually available.

5. Super Pro Decathlon - This is a really good title, maybe one that many INTV fans might not have played

4. Mountain Madness SP Skiing - yet another sports title that I enjoyed as a kid in its initial incarnation, and rediscovered later in this updated version

3. Body Slam! SP Wrestling - Still haven't played this much, need to do so. INTVDude is a big fan of this.

2. SMB - (Not Super Mario Bros)

1. Some random Volleyball game that's usually pretty cheap to buy. ;)

On to Coleco and CBS....my main thought here is that there are a staggering number of variations of these, when you add in the different box art and languages, and as a result, including the CBS versions currently available from Europe and the UK, some of these titles have become much easier to acquire if you don't require your collection to be all the original Coleco release versions.

I suspect I have one of the larger Coleco/CBS variation collections and there are still quite a few versions that I'm aware of and don't yet have and yet I have... (pause writing this post to run down to the CMart Inc vaults to get an approximate number of CIB titles currently on my shelves)....49 different versions of the 8 games :-o , and I'm aware of at least 4 or 5 more.

What's great is that we keep finding new versions we didn't know existed, which gives me hope that I'll still be scouring eBay at 90 trying to finish my damn collection. :P (Only to die just after hitting "send money" on my PayPal account for the very last Intellivision variant I needed). Doh!

I feel tha spiker should be 2 or maybe 3. The reason I say this is that it seems spikers come to auction a lot more often, the only drawback is spiker will probably cost you and bc of that its goes beyond the reach of many that are not looking to pay a premium. I think this year there have been about 6 or 7 spikers on ebay, and say league of light only two this year. As for mud buggies I would say maybe 4th place bc they come up often. since July I had a total of four mud buggies. I traded them for some batch games I needed but I still got a hold of four and just last week I found a minty CIB. (I should clear something up here I am not talking CIB, Cib changes the ranking completely)

I feel tha spiker should be 2 or maybe 3. The reason I say this is that it seems spikers come to auction a lot more often, the only drawback is spiker will probably cost you and bc of that its goes beyond the reach of many that are not looking to pay a premium. I think this year there have been about 6 or 7 spikers on ebay, and say league of light only two this year. As for mud buggies I would say maybe 4th place bc they come up often. since July I had a total of four mud buggies. I traded them for some batch games I needed but I still got a hold of four and just last week I found a minty CIB. (I should clear something up here I am not talking CIB, Cib changes the ranking completely)

On this list I was just doing the late release sports games and Spiker is certainly #1, as well as on the original 125 rarity list. I'd say homebrews are their own separate category. different time period, different audience.

I guess if we just count the original 125 yes its Spiker. Im not sure if SMB is two. I find tutankham harder to find than SMB. But if we count all known releases for the intellivsion, Spiker fall on the list to certain hombrews.

Tut's pretty easy to find on the Euro ebay sites, SMB isn't, and yes, there's quite a few homebrews, (and a few variations) that are harder to find than Spiker, starting with French Super Cobra. :-D

My two cents on Slap Shot. IMO, most guides list it more on the rare side and price it on the high side of what I typically see on eBay. I suspect that it used to be rarer in the past, but in the last year or so I have seen no less than 10 sell, all in pretty good condition and all sold between $20 and $35 (average price of $25). The guide I commonly use lists it CIB for $45. I have seen less lately. Someone was listing one after the next for a while there, but it seems to have tapered off. Maybe the price will climb up again. Maybe I'm crazy, but I really feel like prices across the board have gone up in the last few months. Maybe the economy is finally improving and people are starting to spend $$ again. Good for the economy :) ...bad for deal hunters :(

Cmart, thanks for the Super Pro ranking breakdown! I agree that Decathlon is rarer (especially lately), but it seems like Pole Position has been fetching some higher prices. Hey, don't you have a giant pile of Decathlons :lust: That's another game that seemed to be in large supply on eBay for a while there @ $30 each. Nom nom nom...

I think the spike in prices is what has come to be known as "The Voltron Effect"! :) You did say it felt like the last few months right? Well, hmmmm..... Lol!

I do have a few Decathlons, certainly more copies than I have of Pole Position, although Decathlon is just one of those games that I found myself buying again and again for some reason. As for the $30 Decathlons, it seemed that it was just one guy dumping a couple of boxes he had for a few months. I strongly encouraged people to buy those back then, as I think it's worth much more than that. I only bought one of mine for $30. :)

my rank would be more

like this hardest to easiest

1. Homebrews (like league of light and the first tetris, robot rubble)

2. Spiker

3. tutankham

4. SMB

I can actually prove that certain homebrews are more rare than spiker. :)

Are League Of Light and Robot Rubble home-brews? I thought they were old unreleased games that were put CiB later...

• Like 1