IGNORED

Vectrex Game Brainstorming!

gliptitude

• 6 months later...

What has never been done on a classic console and never available for emulation is the 1976 Exidy arcade game: Death Race. Using a 2600 driving controller and the Pedal Controller, that would make for all the controls needed to chase down those gremlins and turn them into crosses with an ear piercing scream. Years ago someone started a 2600 game called Death Derby but it was not completed. I stripped apart some John Dondzilla code years ago and got a car which I could drive around the Vectrex screen using the 2600 driving controller but that was as far as I got.

I have a playable Death Race programmed on Vectrex now :) No horizontal option as yet but I may add that in later. Expect a free download rom and (expanded version) cart release in the not-too-distant future.

I just looked at the SV-129 foot petal controller .. Any of the three foot petals can be mapped to any of the Atari joystick functions using switches. So as the Driving

Controller uses pins 1 & 2 .. Two foot petals could use pins 3 & 4 for gas and reverse! I'm really looking forward to trying out your Death Race demo on a real Vectrex when you are ready!!

• 2 weeks later...

I just assembled a list (for a poll) of RASTER games to port to Vectrex. Several of the games recommended in this thread made that list!

http://vectorgaming.proboards.com/thread/623/which-raster-games-ported-vectrex#

It was fun and interesting for me to go through all these games and look at them together as a group, in a list. Several of the games I would not even know existed if not for folks recommending them in this thread. But some of these more obscure titles also look like some of the best candidates to me.

If you'd like to vote you'll have to join up at the Vector Gaming Proboards forums. The next person who joins will be member number 100!

Here is the list:

Donkey Kong

Eagle

Stargate/Defender II

Nebulus/Castelian/Tower Toppler

Twister: Mother of Harlots

Space Harrier

Adventure

Juno First

Zaxxon

Kid Icarus

Zoom!

Marble Madness

Sinistar

Dungeons of Daggorath

Tron

Master of the Lamps

Qix

Dig Dug

I, Robot

And here is a list of the raster games that have already been ported to Vectrex:

Scramble, Berzerk, Pole Position, Defender, Space Invaders, Frogger, Phoenix, Joust, Gyruss, Missile Command, Galaxian, Tetris, Time Pilot, Moon Patrol, QBert, Trakkers and Thrust have all at least been attempted already. Pac Man was excluded due to its similarity to Clean Sweep.

Also Qix actually HAS already been ported, but it's too late for me to remove it from the poll.

I meant to include GORF, but forgot. Also too late to add it.

Poll includes 'game that is not on this list' as a voting option in case your game is missing.

Edited by gliptitude

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I have a playable Death Race programmed on Vectrex now :) No horizontal option as yet but I may add that in later. Expect a free download rom and (expanded version) cart release in the not-too-distant future.

Took me a while but I finally came back to Death Race (or 'Death Chase' as I've renamed it for my version). It will soon be finished and released on cartridge for Vectrex alongside 'NOX' - a version of Ataris sprint.

Video here :

• Like 1

Theres always people crying out for a game that's already been ported the Vectrex. Discs of Tron has been done, breakout has been done, a vertical shooter has been done, half a dozen card games have been done.

What started out a place for original ideas sure did turn into a place for people saying ports theyd like to see done. However, after 40 years of gaming and what maybe thousands of companies there aren't that many truly original game ideas left. If you do think out of the box, someone inevitably states "That's just like this game for arcade, Game N Watch, Atari 2600, etc,"

An idea I've had for ages is a plan view with two ships (like Space War, but in a maze). It would include power-ups and a mix of passive and electrified walls.

Power-ups that allow you to:

- drop mines

- deactivate mines

- electrify a wall

- increase number of simultaneous shots on screen

- bounce shots

etc...

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...