IGNORED

10-17-2012 Found Air Raid with original box

AIR-RAID

Is it even possible to send/receive sums as large as 30 grand with Paypal?

There is no limit as long as your account is Verified.

You can send up to $10' date='000 in a single transaction.

[b']If your account is Verified, there's no limit on the total amount of money you can send from your account.[/b]

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/helpcenter/article/?solutionId=11637&m=SRE

..Al

I believe as time goes on we will see more of these. And since the game is pretty lame, the boxes may actually be in nice condition like this one as people play it once, think it sucks, then put it away like your father did. If I ever win the lottery you know I'd be spending big on all the rares. It sucks I'm poor.

Phil

Wow, people really like to urinate in people's cornflakes around here. The original poster never once mentioned anything about what value this is. We all know this is still at least worth a $10,000 game given it is the finest condition Air Raid ever found. 10k or 30k, that's still a whole bunch of money either way.

It's still a great find no matter what. Let's celebrate that this is an awesome discovery, and not get into some stupid vinegar attitude about how some people can see into the future, and that "There will be more found".

I swear some people can be really petty over stuff like this.

Edited by homerwannabee
  • Like 3

Great find...not just the Air Raid, but also all of those other minty gems! If you do decide to sell off that collection, you will certainly be providing a ton of love towards the collectors in this great hobby. If you keep it, kudos to you for having one hell of an impressive collection. You certainly have the mindset of a true collector, and care for these games more than most folks we have seen in the past...showing up with a "holy grail". To see this game being looked at as something more than just a currency item is refreshing. It is truly a lost artifact...a part of Atari history.

Now, I don't doubt that there were a good number of these manufactured back in the day (as CPUWIZ explained), but IMHO, I don't think we will see too many more of these surface...certainly not mint and CIB. Outside of someone finding a huge box of these in a basement someday (highly unlikely), I would say that the rest are, for the most part, gone.

Typically, retail stores which have inventory that does not liquidate over time, simply end up tossing it out eventually. Retail space is valuable, so if a liquidator can't move something, it either goes into storage or it gets chucked (it is a tax write off as well folks). If these were in storage somewhere at one of the Tuesday Morning retail chain warehouses, I would think that one of the many "Atari Detectives" amongst us would have tracked them down. If I had to talent a guess, the bulk of these that did not sell are long since sitting at the bottom of a dump.

Again, congratulations on your amazing finds!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

• Like 1

I find it hard to believe these were ever circulated. The Tuesday morning one was a fluke if you ask me.

Theory...

The air raid "distributer" gave the store a free copy, in hopes they would place a large order for numerous copies, it sat in an office for a bit and somehow ended up on the bargain table as merchandise.

I'm guessing all the surfaced copies were freebies at some point, no stores ever placed an order, and air raid distributer guy moved on to another get rich quick idea :)

• Like 2

Wow, people really like to urinate in people's cornflakes around here.

Nobody's deliberately using the thread as a pissing ground.
10k or 30k, that's still a whole bunch of money either way.
True dat!
It's still a great find no matter what. Let's celebrate that this is an awesome discovery, and not get into some stupid vinegar attitude about how some people can see into the future, and that "There will be more found".

[sarcasm]You had better sell it ASAP, as I've got about a dozen or so sitting in my garage, and I'm sure others do as well...[/sarcasm]

Obviously, I was joking about having dozens of them in my garage. I even used the sarcasm tag. However, it is still possible that more of these may exist. I believe it's been established that the company did not have proper distribution channels, otherwise even if 99% of them were returned/discarded, stores would still have stocked them, and at least a few people would have bought the game.

Obviously, if the merchant who basically gave it away to the OP's father, had a time machine or otherwise could see the future, he would have kept it for a few years, or possibly stocked an order and hoarded them, and retired wealthy. If everyone had known back in 1982 that by 2010 that these carts would be worth ten grand or more, then everyone would have gotten one, and the Air Raid cart would have ultimately become a still rare but <$50 turd and forgotten. The same could be said for baseball cards, stamps, and other collectables.

What I find really ironic, is that virtually no one knows anything about the original company. It is possible, however, that a former employee of this company may even have a stockpile of carts, and perhaps when the individual is deceased, they might be discovered and garage saled by the family members, then the cats are out of the bag. I can't imagine that the guy who originally marketed these carts didn't have a pile of them laying around at some point.

Edited by stardust4ever

If the owner stocked a horde of these, he would not be wealthy. Remember, it's all about supply and demand. The big spenders would be eliminated and then the price would drop dramatically. Here's an example.

2 years ago I had purchased many different plush dolls. I put off on one in particular, until my wife went and bought a couple of them. This was Pepe from Sesame Street. Being 42 years old, I had no clue who Pepe was and actually thought he was ugly. So I put it off for 3 weeks until she bought a couple.

Purchasing many of these dolls relatively cheap, I put them in my Ebay store at $7.99 plus shipping. I sold the 2 pretty fast. I went back to the store and bought 5 more (he had a lot). I put them on at $7.99 and sold out again almost instantly. So I went back and bought him out. I think in all I had over 25 of them.

I decided to raise the price to $9.99 and put on 10 more. Sold out. I put another batch at $11.99 and sold out. I put the last batch at $14.99 and sold out. I kept one. It also happened that my last $14.99 sale wasn't paid for, so I had 2 left.

Guessing I'd get more if I auctioned it, I put it at $9.99 minimum bid. This was about 1 month before Christmas. I watched the thing climb to $25 and thought that would be good. Then it bumped up to $50. I said ok. My wife said if it goes higher, we should just give it to the high bidder for $50. (After it took off, my wife changed her mind and said they deserve what they get). Thing is, it didn't stop. It hit $90 and then I did a real wow. Point is, it ended at $247.50. And since I had the extra one, I offered it to the loser for $245. The loser said they were just bidding it up and didn't really want it for that much, but I settled with him for $200.

Point here is that the 3rd high bidder was the $25 guy. So 2 people decided this was a $200+ plush doll, probably Christmas gifts for both. I went back to the store and he had no more. I go in there often and buy various things at this store. Last year, lo and behold, 3 Pepe dolls were sitting there. I snatched them up and then did an auction. I started it at $49.99. Guess what? It didn't sell. Thing was the Muppet Movie came out and Disney store flooded the market with a new, larger Pepe doll. Though this was his "Rookie" doll, the desire wasn't there at the price I was asking. So I put it in my store for $49.99. It took about 6 months, but I did sell one.

I haven't put on the other 2 yet. I'm considering another auction for Christmas and see what happens. If not, it'll probably go back as a fixed price at $49.99 again.

So it's all about supply and demand. I've been buying and selling things for about 30 years now. It always happens, even if there is a glut of supply. Cabbage Patch dolls, Death of Superman comic, Furbys, Tickle Me Elmo, the latest video game console, etc. People pay high in the beginning, and then once the initial demand is satisfied, price come down.

This Air Raid may well sell over $10k, or even over $30k. You need at least 2 big spenders though, or the loser of the last one may pay high if the seller sets a reserve real high. But I guarantee you if another of these shows up, in at least a halfway decent box, it won't go over $5k.

Phil

Edited by Philflound

Super score, super video to post! Thanks for making such a fun drama out of it!

It's a neophyte's mistake to consider the going rate for this $30k because it sold for that once. It may be that the price galvanized the high end collectors to expect that price, but more commonly the market willing and able to pay that kind of cash will be saturated very quickly. That being said, I'd be surprised if this went for under $15k.

@y-bot I remember a fun conversation we had with the other Portland guys at CGE about how we would approach selling a hypothetical case of Air Raids. One thing we agreed on was that the price would drop steadily with each repeated auction sale. I personally decided that my favorite approach would be to auction one or two (one on eBay and one on GG?) and then sell the rest at a not insane price (like $6k-$8k or something?). Fixing the market price there might ensure you could sell more over time and avoid being a pariah of the community.

@CPUWIZ My Air Raid needs a home! I want one of those boxes!

If it is mint then it didn't just lower the value of the other one but is now worth more than it. If two incomplete not mint Red Sea Crossings can both go over $10,000 at the same time then it seems like a mint Air Raid CIB would go for much more. Even though there are more carts than Red Sea Crossing and it has been dumped, a mint Air Raid CIB with only two boxes known to exist must be the most valuable VCS game out there. The cart by itself isn't a Holy Grail but mint CIB pretty much makes it The Holy Grail. It is hard to find mint common games nowadays but that Air Raid looks like it was made tomorrow.

@y-bot I remember a fun conversation we had with the other Portland guys at CGE about how we would approach selling a hypothetical case of Air Raids.

Ahhh...I've had that day dream many times with many different games :)

If it is mint then it didn't just lower the value of the other one but is now worth more than it. If two incomplete not mint Red Sea Crossings can both go over $10,000 at the same time then it seems like a mint Air Raid CIB would go for much more. Even though there are more carts than Red Sea Crossing and it has been dumped, a mint Air Raid CIB with only two boxes known to exist must be the most valuable VCS game out there. The cart by itself isn't a Holy Grail but mint CIB pretty much makes it The Holy Grail. It is hard to find mint common games nowadays but that Air Raid looks like it was made tomorrow.

Not true.

Yes, the ONLY boxed Air Raid was the most valuable atari game found (thats been recorded at least, who knows whats going on behind the scenes)

Just because this one is in better condition doesn't make it automaticaly worth more...as stated, only 2 collectors pushed the game up another 10k or so last time (I believe, anyone remember the exact $$$ number?) but one of them owns it now, and who knows if the other big spender still wants it...will there be some new blood willing to drop 30k this time? We will see....

This Minty Air Raid is truly awesome, but I will always consider the chalice from the Atari Swordquest competitions the true Holy Grail of the Atari 2600. For two reasons. One, and most importantly. It's a chalice! For most collectors of stuff like albums, coins, comics, and so on the Holy Grail is just a euphemism, but in the Atari 2600 world it's not a euphemism. We collectors actually have a freaking Holy Grail! How cool is that!

2nd reason. The chalice is worth at least $60,000 from the precious metal content alone. So no matter how you slice it, it is a super valuable collectible.

• Like 4

Congrats on the awesome find! Loved the video. I second AtariLeaf's request. Your dad kept the games in awesome shape, besides, the Air Raid, I would like to see all of the other games in his collection. How many games does he have in total? Are they all complete in the box? Does he have any other rare stuff? Just love when stuff like this is dug up. The Air Raid is truly the most valuable, but have you gone through all the other games to see if there are any gems? Cheers, FB

Congrats on the awesome find! Loved the video. I second AtariLeaf's request. Your dad kept the games in awesome shape, besides, the Air Raid, I would like to see all of the other games in his collection. How many games does he have in total? Are they all complete in the box? Does he have any other rare stuff? Just love when stuff like this is dug up. The Air Raid is truly the most valuable, but have you gone through all the other games to see if there are any gems? Cheers, FB

Good point, he may have several other "semi" rarities or even a nice CIB River Patrol or something in those sataricophaguses

Yeah, I made that word up, get it - sarcophagus + atari = sataricophagus, bada bing I'm here all night folks...

• Like 3

EH! Where the hell have you been! GET BACK ON ATARIAGE REGULARLY OR IT'S A PADDLIN'! :D

• Like 1

EH! Where the hell have you been! GET BACK ON ATARIAGE REGULARLY OR IT'S A PADDLIN'! :D

As a famous wrestler once said Q: " Where are you from?" A:..I'm from parts unknown! I would graciously accept a PADDLIN from CC:) It would be better than what I have been through:) @ CClimber dial up...yup, not me, but still used in Canada:) Cheers, FB

Edited by Frostbite Bailey