Level 5 / 150 then died

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4168.jpg

#1129 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 15,279 posts

Posted Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:23 PM

Now give us a screengrab of the 150m How High screen, with your username in the photo. Oh, and it has to be on polaroid film stock, and shipped via snail mail... :grin:

Great job man, really awesome score! ;-)

#1130 grips03 OFFLINE  

grips03

River Patroller

• 3,338 posts

Posted Sat Sep 2, 2017 8:17 AM

new high score (for me anyway) 143,100

Arcade/US/Start on Level 3  and made it to Level 7

Mostly die on firefox and pie level

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_4192.jpg
  • IMG_4188.jpg

#1131 mytekcontrols ONLINE  

mytekcontrols

River Patroller

• 2,066 posts

Posted Sat Sep 2, 2017 11:47 PM

Damm that looks very colorful. I wish the 8-bit version looked that good.

BTW, congrats on the high score!

- Michael

#1132 troff OFFLINE  

troff

Star Raider

• 95 posts

Posted Tue Sep 5, 2017 9:10 PM

I'm really, really enjoying this game.  I won't embarrass myself by posting my high scores, but I definitely wanted to add that this game is well worth it. 

#1133 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 15,279 posts

Posted Tue Sep 5, 2017 10:15 PM

It is the definitive version of Donkey Kong.

One odd quirk I noticed, in both US and Japan game modes, infrequently when I jump over a barrel it does not make the sound effect or register a point increase. I have no idea what triggers this bug but it typically happens once or twice per game session.

Sometimes if I jump barrel immediately after clearing a ladder the point fails to register, but is not limited to occur only above ladders. And occasionally I don't get point bonus for clearing a second barrel, possibly related to the first bug where one of them simply doesn't register.

Very minor nitpick on an overall fabulous game, but after many playthroughs tracking high scores, always in the back of my mind knowing I've missed 100pts here or there... :P

#1134 fluxit OFFLINE  

fluxit

Space Invader

• 36 posts

Posted Wed Sep 6, 2017 12:32 AM

That bug also exists in the original arcade game.  Under the right circumstances, you can make it to the top of the first screen having jumped one or more barrels with no point value displayed during the jumps and no points awarded.  IIRC, it seems to happen most often when the jumps are late(but still successful in clearing the barrel,) when the barrel is closest to the player.

Edited by fluxit, Wed Sep 6, 2017 12:33 AM.

#1135 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 15,279 posts

Posted Wed Sep 6, 2017 1:51 AM

That bug also exists in the original arcade game.  Under the right circumstances, you can make it to the top of the first screen having jumped one or more barrels with no point value displayed during the jumps and no points awarded.  IIRC, it seems to happen most often when the jumps are late(but still successful in clearing the barrel,) when the barrel is closest to the player.

I did not know that. So DK PK is that accurate to emulate obscure arcade bugs. Amazing... :o

#1136 tep392 ONLINE  

tep392

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,761 posts

Posted Wed Sep 6, 2017 4:43 AM

I did not know that. So DK PK is that accurate to emulate obscure arcade bugs. Amazing... :o

It's not a bug, it's a feature. ;)

http://www.jeffsromh...s/d2k_taunt.htm

I used to be in the habit of letting go of the stick while jumping but that results in missed points. Keep the stick held left or right during a jump and you will always get points.  You can also get points jumping next to a barrel after it goes down the ladder.

#1137 Trebor OFFLINE  

Trebor

River Patroller

• 4,216 posts

Posted Wed Sep 6, 2017 6:00 AM

If interested in some more details for the no points "feature", Jeff (of Arcade Donkey Kong II fame), posted about it and the reasons on his DK technical page.  Part of which is summarized below:

"Deep in the code lies a routine that determines what objects you've jumped over so that the game can award you points.  This check for objects is done when Jumpman reaches the peak of his jump.  At that point the code spans a set area to see what objects are under you.  Normally the span will check 5 pixels to the left and 5 pixels to the right to check for objects...Therefore it is possible to either jump "too soon" or "too late" and not have the object be within this narrow area when the peak is reached...But, if [you] hold the joystick LEFT or RIGHT when this check is being done, you can increase the span to 19 pixels to LEFT and 19 pixels to the RIGHT..."

*EDIT:  And I completely overlooked tep392's post mentioned Jeff's page already.  :P  :dunce:

#1138 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 15,279 posts

Posted Wed Sep 6, 2017 10:06 PM

Okay, nice to know. Typically when I jump, I hit the joystick and jump button in tandem (unless already moving) and release both at the same time. It isn't like super Mario where you can steer in mid flight so I normally release the stick. If holding the stick increases the point hitbox, then it may be desirable to retrain myself. Thanks for the tip, and nice to see this feature perfectly emulated. Billy and Steve from "King of Kong" would be proud! :D

Unrelated but I've encountered similar issues "riding the gate" on 8-ways in Pacman instead of tapping to move, because sometimes I'm too lazy to change the restrictor gate out between games. 8-ways are undesirable but if you gotta use one for Pacman, don't ride the gate or the diagonals will trip you up. :P It's not like I don't already have a dozen different arcade boxes at my disposal so I can just set the clover leaf gate on a couple of them...

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users