IGNORED

Myide 2 for Atari 8 bit from Atarimax / mr Atari

fernando marrin

Here's an SDX test driver which supports hot-swapping:

myide2_test01.zip

If the driver detects a media change, it automatically resets the card and reads the partition table before carrying out the original SIO request.

I came unstuck at the next stage, however:

• The SDX ROM for MyIDE 2 is only 128KB long, and so there's only 8KB of space left in the user area - enough for the soft driver and CONFIG.SYS.
  • Attempts to put SDX on the MyIDE 2 cart failed completely: the AtariMax Cart Studio software naturally expects a 512KB ROM image, and the SDX ROM is only 128KB.

Is there a build of SDX which doesn't require the MyBIOS boot screen process?

Anyway: there's the driver. I can't get things configured as I want them at the moment, but hopefully the driver is useful.

• Like 1

I'm really a newbie at making a config.sys file.

Using the SDXImageUser I made a new ROM.

Made the Config.sys look like this:

USE NONE

DEVICE SPARTA BANKED

DEVICE SIO /A

DEVICE ATARIDOS

DEVICE JIFFY

DEVICE MYIDE2.SYS

Replaced this ROM with the ROM on the TEST-2.mcw workbook.

Programmed the MyIDE-2.

All doing well. Except when booting SDX.

I get the error Config Error (179): DEVICE MYIDE2.SYS

Any ideas?

In the meantime... I changed by SDX-ROM on the U1MB.

Add MYIDE2.SYS and changed the line in the config.

Placed the cartridge in the slot.

Boot with OPTION held!! U1MB booted right to SDX, and your driver was nicely loaded.

Some CF-cards I initialized with the IDE+ device were recognized.

So... the driver works. Hot-swapping is also working. The FDISK however, did not respond to it.

I had to exit FDISK (2.5beta), open a drive (failed because of empty CF-card) and then FDISK recognized the CF. No a major problem.

Now, how to get it working with the Flash-portion of the MYIDE2 ?

• Like 1

In the meantime... I changed by SDX-ROM on the U1MB.

Add MYIDE2.SYS and changed the line in the config.

Placed the cartridge in the slot.

Boot with OPTION held!! U1MB booted right to SDX, and your driver was nicely loaded.

Excellent... this was going to be my next test for MyIDE II on my Ultimate set up.

The FDISK however, did not respond to it.

I had to exit FDISK (2.5beta), open a drive (failed because of empty CF-card) and then FDISK recognized the CF. No a major problem.

I have to say I've been hampered a bit in testing by FDISK playing up. RWCRC completed a faultless run on a 130XE, but FDISK was sometimes getting transfer errors when reading the partition table. The same FDISK works with SIDE, so I have to put this down to hardware issues - perhaps different CF cards will be more reliable. The machine in question has a lot of upgrades in it, which might have thrown things off a bit.

What I want to know is how to flash SDX to this cartridge so it boots without holding down any keys. SDX for MyIDE 2 is supposed to run out of the first 16 banks, but it locks up - so I'm assuming the MyIDE 2 doesn't set the flash ROM bank register to 0 at coldstart?

I have to say I've been hampered a bit in testing by FDISK playing up. RWCRC completed a faultless run on a 130XE, but FDISK was sometimes getting transfer errors when reading the partition table. The same FDISK works with SIDE, so I have to put this down to hardware issues - perhaps different CF cards will be more reliable. The machine in question has a lot of upgrades in it, which might have thrown things off a bit.

What I want to know is how to flash SDX to this cartridge so it boots without holding down any keys. SDX for MyIDE 2 is supposed to run out of the first 16 banks, but it locks up - so I'm assuming the MyIDE 2 doesn't set the flash ROM bank register to 0 at coldstart?

Try this workbook: SDXBOOTNOW.ZIP

Program the shipping workbook on the cartridge and use the diagnostic program to do the read sector/write sector test. If there are no failures reading or writing to the card with the routines there, its more likely a problem with the implementation of the CF read/write code than a hardware problem. The diagnostic program pretty much uses the example routines that were provided for low level CF access.

The SDX image I have here was provided by Trub and was designed to run from ram on the cartridge. It works for me when loaded from the menu using Sijmen's ROM loader, or when loaded directly via the FAT32 loader.

I'm just guessing here, but I'd suspect if it works fine in RAM but crashes when flashed to ROM, the program itself (SDX) is programming the memory mode register to RAM mode for the 'left cartridge' and pulling the rug out from under itself as its running, since it expect itself to be in the RAM banks, not the flash banks.

so I'm assuming the MyIDE 2 doesn't set the flash ROM bank register to 0 at coldstart?

The default is flash for left cartridge, page zero. These default should be listed in the hardware text document I posted and I believe they are accurate. If you find any errors please send me a message and I will update it, or fix the core so it is consistant with those values.

Steve

I have a SDX-bootpartition on the MyBIOS with Utilities, CONFIG and AUTOEXEC.

That runs fine, there is no need to put all in flash when you have a harddrive :)

The program BOOT-SDX is free, I'll zip and upload it tomorrow.

It searches for the SDX string in flash and copies the 128k ROM to first 128k SRAM.

Set SRAM to ReadOnly, select bank-0, powersup the CF and reboots.

MyBIOS treads the first 128k of SRAM as protected area to run cartridge-images from.

Larger versions of SDX are possible of course, need to contact Trub about this.

All is done this way to be compatible with the ATARIMAX studio-design

Later!

Sijmen.

Edited by mr-atari

If there are no failures reading or writing to the card with the routines there, its more likely a problem with the implementation of the CF read/write code than a hardware problem. The diagnostic program pretty much uses the example routines that were provided for low level CF access.

Funny thing is, RWCRC (which completes without errors) is using exact same R/W routines as FDISK is calling. In any case, I've seen weird behaviour like this with other interfaces, so maybe there's an intermittent bug in the application.

The SDX image I have here was provided by Trub and was designed to run from ram on the cartridge. It works for me when loaded from the menu using Sijmen's ROM loader, or when loaded directly via the FAT32 loader.

I'm just guessing here, but I'd suspect if it works fine in RAM but crashes when flashed to ROM, the program itself (SDX) is programming the memory mode register to RAM mode for the 'left cartridge' and pulling the rug out from under itself as its running, since it expect itself to be in the RAM banks, not the flash banks.

Thanks for the explanation Steve. It seems the provided SDX build is completely unsuitable for what I had in mind. I've emailed KMK and Trub about it.

The default is flash for left cartridge, page zero. These default should be listed in the hardware text document I posted and I believe they are accurate. If you find any errors please send me a message and I will update it, or fix the core so it is consistant with those values.

Thanks - will do. Better get back to some hardware jobs in the meantime - I just couldn't resist playing with this cart for a few hours. ;)

Larger versions of SDX are possible of course, need to contact Trub about this.

All is done this way to be compatible with the ATARIMAX studio-design

Right, I think I understand now. A build of SDX which simply runs in the flash ROM and (optionally) uses the rest of the ROM space for CAR: would be rather useful for SDX fans. The on-board RAM could then be put to different uses. It's all about flexibility...

I asked Trub for larger SDX versions today.

Since ATARIMAX has the option to load .rom files, I'm going to drop the (temporarily born out of need) BOOT-SDX.

Users can load SDX with the loader now, theoretical upto 512k images.

I'll include your MYIDE2.SYS in the new upload.

To answer your question about SDX-only:

You can not flash the 512k and put the SDX in the first 128/256k.

Simply because the SDX-build uses SRAM in RO mode to select banks, not flashROM.

Can SDX use BANKED refered to the SRAM on the cartridge?

Blended in at $8000 size $2000 (8k) this would be a powerful update to reduce stock memory-usage.

You could configure 256k for SDX run from SRAM and use the other 256k for other uses.

Just take care not to use SRAM needed for the MyBIOS.

(I'm going to change that to the last 1.25k of the SRAM, instead of the 1.25k directly after the currently 128k reserved for rom-images run from SRAM).

Flexibility is all given by the SDX-guys, I only ask ;)

Later!

Sijmen.

Just got SDX 4.46 / 256k for MyIDE-II from trub.

Will play with it tomorrow and release if it seems to work.

Bundled with MYIDE.SYS and MYIDE2.SYS

Need to change the D8: SRAM RAMDISK driver to coop with "only" 254.75k ram left :)

Also working on close to 100% OSB-compatibility, almost got it working.

Added 8k/16k-paged rom support from SRAM in RO upto 256k.

-Nice-

Booting SDX from the Fat32 Loader is a very nice feature.

Most of all if you have to test several SDX versions. It works really well.

Also got MyBIOS working together with U1MB SDX and MyIDE2.sys driver.

So now I finally can copy files from one place to another.

• Like 1

SDX 4.46 for MyIDE-II can now be downloaded from the ATARIMAX-forum.

The SDX-package.

[updated 5-jan-2013]

Simply put the .ROM file in your FAT32-area and load it with the ATARIMAX FAT32-loader.

This is 3rd-party software, please consult the SDX-homepage and manual.

You need to modify the original SDX-image to your needs.

MyIDE.SYS and MYIDE2.SYS is 3rd party software from Jonathan Halliday.

http://www.atarimax....hp?p=6958#p6958

Edited by mr-atari

I don't think this has been announced, and it is quite useful, especially for new users and those unfamiliar with the FAT32 portion of the new MyIDE-II.

Steve posted a new video showing how to set up a MyIDE-II card for both the MyBios portion and the FAT32. See it at:

http://www.atarimax....php?f=17&t=1333

-Larry

Excellent... this was going to be my next test for MyIDE II on my Ultimate set up.

I didn't modify my sdx446 rom 'config.sys' but I did change my Autoexec.bat file loaded from D1:. Where I also loaded the myide2.sys driver to drive D1:

SET ED=20
SET DAYTIME=1
SET MAXDRV=K:
SET PROMPT=$L$P\
SET CAR=K:CAR.SAV
SET MANPATH=D:MAN
SET PAGER=LESS;/C;%
SET BASIC=K:BASIC.SAV
SET PATH=CAR:;:;H:;C:SYS;C:SDOS
POKE $2C8,$94
POKE $2FC,$C
DATE /T
if NOT $boot C:>
a:>myide2.sys
else
ECHO Lost in Limbo.
fi

So when the boot code doesn't return C:> the autoexec.bat will run the myide2.sys file donated by 'fjc' .. Thanks Jon..

• Like 1

Update for ATARIMAX MyIDE-I

Version #3

-Added full OSB support

-Implemented some MyIDE-II code

Compiled all three possible setup situations:

ROM-versions.

For all types of MyIDE, supports FLASH-content of MyIDE-I and MyIDE-II

This is a replacement OS for inside your atari.

Use SETUP to install MENU's and SIDE on your IDE-device.

(Hold SELECT in the bootscreen, then press I to disable IDE)

DISK-versions.

This is a MyBIOS loaded from IDE that runs in RAM.

Use SETUP to install MyBIOS, MENU's and SIDE on your IDE-device.

(Hold SELECT in the bootscreen, then press I to disable IDE)

Use LOAD to start your setup.

Flash-version.

But special build for the ATARIMAX 1mb + IDE cartridge.

R1 is a replacement OS for inside your atari.

F1 is a packed BIOS to be used with your ATARIMAX STUDIO software.

All MENUs are loaded from FLASH.

http://www.atarimax.com/flashcart/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7201#p7201