IGNORED

Atari computer newbie here

Brad2600

I never thought about collecting Atari computers until I found a 1200XL base computer at a Salvation Army for $4.99 last weekend. I've already gotten trade offers but I had to turn them down cuz I actually think I could use an Atari computer just for the hell of it.

It's a nice looking machine and from what I heard, the 800 series is better than the 1200 series but I'm basically clueless.

I have a 2600, 5200, 7800 and a Jaguar. This is the first Atari computer I've ever found in my life(I'm 21) or even seen in my life.

Any help would be appreciated. It's NOT for sale or trade cuz I want more info on Atari computers.

Thanks!

It's a nice looking machine and from what I heard, the 800 series is better than the 1200 series but I'm basically clueless.

That's a matter of opinion. Some people like the 800s keyboard, but the 1200XL has a nice one too. I think in the end it comes down to what you had when you were originally in the scene. The 1200XL has the ability to be upgraded with extra memory and use that memory in the standard XL manner. It also has a lot of room in the case for modifications. It doesn't have a PBI interface though, which may or may not be a big deal for you.

Any help would be appreciated. It's NOT for sale or trade cuz I want more info on Atari computers.

What do you want to do with it? I would suggest looking into a SIO2PC cable and the APE software. That way you don't need a disk drive and you can take advantage of software that is available as ATR images. You can even build the interface into the computer if you are not shy about cutting a hole in the case.

You can also get cartridges for the computer, but I don't think that really gives you the "computer" experience that using a disk drive and DOS does.

Well, I would ask that if well what's the difference between an Atari computer like the 1200XL and say, the first generation of IBM PCs and Apples? Like was Atari more reliable or powerful or what?

I'm kinda awkward. Is there a page with tons of info on Atari computers? If so, I would check it out for answers.

Thanks.

Well, Atari computers were certainly faster than the Apple II.  Easier and more understandable display modes, as well.  And Atari Basic was the earliest one that would catch syntax errors for you as you entered lines.

Sounds good. If only I had the monitors and drives I could hook up this computer and blow the PC I have now out of the water. I dunno. Probably not but you get the picture.