IGNORED

Music Soundtrack

AdamJ

I'm having a hard time both finding and exporting music to the format I need for Sega Genesis music. I use TFM Music Maker to create yaddayadda.TFD tracks for games. It supposedly supports importing .XM mod files but I've never got it to work :)

http://gendev.sprite...opic.php?t=1273

I can't promise big bucks as I mostly make homebrew games for free or about at cost. Exposure and practice are awesome things in themselves, though. Full credit. A physical copy of the finished game. All that.

Your style sounds like a C64 and an NES had a baby. Very nice.

Thanks!

Well, money is not the main reason why I'm making music :)

So your target platform would be Sega Mega Drive? Well, if I can get TFM Music Maker to work, why not!

I haven't been producing modules for a long time! Never thought they'd be considered 8bit music one day.

Anyway, some of those are: http://soundcloud.co...s/module-music/ .

Yeah, FM sythesis sorta blends the line between 8 and 16-bit. The NES and Sega Master System actually had titles that used FM but they never came out in the states. Damn shame. The Genesis seems to have 4 channels for music. All FM instruments. TFM Music Maker comes with both example modules and instuments. Has MIDI input for good measure.

I've tried using OpenMPT to make .XM modules and then import them into TFM Music Maker. For some reason I've got a mental block that retards my ability to get the tempo and reassign the intruments. Maybe a real musician would have better luck :P

My current project is a top-down shooter with overworld that pays homage to the Bat from Adventure

http://www.atariage....rn-in-progress/

I hear alot of FM sounding samples in those modules :) When I was a teen the Adlib FM sound card was king. Space Quest was on 'till dawn and homework was subsequently done on the way to school.

Chiptune music can be awesome if you know what you're doing. Brad Smith made an 8-bit cover album to Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon in 2010. Then in 2012, he crammed it into an NES cart for playback on real hardware. I have one of his carts and it's awesome. I believe one of the problems that arises is most programmers aren't good composers and most composers aren't good programmers. It's a right brain / left brain balance between creating and solving problems. A three-man team with one programmer, one sprite artist, and one musician would be great. The sprite artist and musician won't have as much work to do as the programmer, so they could help out across multiple projects. Best case senario, you've got programmer A who needs a music track for his homebrew, and composer B who's looking for an outlet for his chiptunes. Then they both meet on a forum somewhere and hopefully can collaborate on something fantastic!

Yeah, FM sythesis sorta blends the line between 8 and 16-bit.

OIC, the TFM is a FM module format. I didn't know that! Indeed, that makes it being somewhere in between :)

Best case senario, you've got programmer A who needs a music track for his homebrew, and composer B who's looking for an outlet for his chiptunes. Then they both meet on a forum somewhere and hopefully can collaborate on something fantastic!

Yes, I would love that!

Hi,

recently I started composing original Atari 800XL music. I would like to do more, but I would love if it could be used for something real. Is there any team needing 8bit music and SFX design? If yes, I'd love helping out. My references: http://soundcloud.co...dy-atari-800xl/

Cheers,

Adam

I like your musics, I was listening them, D&B WIP is one of my favorites, because it's remember me Bossa Nova wich I like so much.

Sure the homebrew programmers will love to add your songs on their games, the problem is atari homebrew games doesn't sell much, 100 or so copies, so it's not possible to pay for good musics usually. All we can do is give you the credit for the song and of course, a copy of the game.

Good to know Theloon will use your song in a game.

I recomend you to give a look on Paul Slocum 2600 sequencer kit, for creating tunes to Atari 2600 (most of homebrews here are for the 2600). It's not easy to code BTW.

http://www.qotile.net/sequencer.html

I can say most, if not all good musics created for Atari 2600 find a good homebrew game.

Edited by LS_Dracon

I like your musics, I was listening them, D&B WIP is one of my favorites, because it's remember me Bossa Nova wich I like so much.

Sure the homebrew programmers will love to add your songs on their games, the problem is atari homebrew games doesn't sell much, 100 or so copies, so it's not possible to pay for good musics usually. All we can do is give you the credit for the song and of course, a copy of the game.

Good to know Theloon will use your song in a game.

I recomend you to give a look on Paul Slocum 2600 sequencer kit, for creating tunes to Atari 2600 (most of homebrews here are for the 2600). It's not easy to code BTW.

http://www.qotile.net/sequencer.html

I can say most, if not all good musics created for Atari 2600 find a good homebrew game.

Thank you! I should definitely finish the R&D.

At the moment I don't really plan any huge monetization of my chiptune music. Being on credits of a contemporary 8-bit game is just as cool :) I'm gathering experience, material for live gigs, and also items to my portfolio. I just found that it's easier to compose when following some specific aim.

I checked out the 2600 sequencer. I like the idea of writing music in assembler! Thanks for suggesting this!