IGNORED

The secret of Men-A-Vision revealed!

Thomas Jentzsch

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/7/2015 at 7:50 PM, jmenajr23 said:

Basically guys, I have not been contacted by anyone in regards to this blog. Back in November 2013 I had registered with AtariAge just because I'm into the gaming industry and I miss all the retro fun games back in the days and wanted to see what's been spoken of. Men-A-Vision has been mentioned only a few times through my lifetime and since my parents and I have left LA over 20 years ago, I think it was spoken of only a couple of times since. Like I said before, I thought it didn't exist and that it was just rumors because Mena was our last name. Today, out of curiosity, I decided again to go over your blogs and when I saw something being said about Sunset Blvd and the Jewelry and Toy Store, it blew my mind and kind of creep me out, because my grandfather ran that store and my father and uncle ran the toy store. So now I'm a believer. I had to talk to my cousin a little while ago about it, and he admitted there was a game created by a friend of his dad's back in those days about a shooting game (alien-ship and the 2D city of Manhattan landscape, etc..) As my cousin would tell me earlier (It's basically pong with buildings and falling alien ships...had to shoot then down as they appeared...it was awesome!). I was only 5 years old when this was going on. The game was actually played in the Toy Store office when we were kids. I can't remember playing it, but my cousin does. I can only do so much, because I live across country and I have no access to anything over in LA. All I can do, which I did, is mention it to my cousin and maybe my uncle will be notified of this. As I told someone earlier, my dad thinks there might be a copy of one somewhere just to have it as a trophy case. But that's just hear say from him. The rest of the family that is in LA, will have to get back to me and let me know if there are any left. But I unfortunately can't push them either, and my cousin said if they did have one, they most likely wouldn't sell it because its one of a kind. There was a person named Tony that my father told me who was Asian that helped contribute towards the invention of the game. I think I've said a lot, but it might take a while to even know what's true if we still have a copy of it or not. I've gotten plenty of messages and appreciate wanting to get information, but I don't have it right now. If my cousin or uncle decides that it's OK you email them, I'll let you know too.

So close, yet so far away

• 3 years later...

Same here. Actually I had remembered this thread some weeks ago. But since we did not hear from @Wonder007, I suppose it was a dead end. :sad: 

And I cannot think of anything I could do. At least I can be proud to have found the original link (the store photo) back then. :) 

Edited by Thomas Jentzsch
  • Like 3

There is much relevant public information available to be reviewed (e.g. city directories, company registration records), however these sources are not available online so it would require someone physically in the area to do the research.  

• Like 1

No updates on this.  I spoke to my father about this and he did speak to one of his good friends who owned a barber shop a couple stores down.  He said he was going to contact people about this but most of the people he has tried to communicate with have either passed away or did not remember much about this.  The neighborhood where that store was has changed dramatically in the past 20 years.  The last business that was there during Mena's time closed down a couple of years ago (a travel agency I believe).  I will keep hunting for information though......

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2