IGNORED

VTech Creativision: mega update to CreatiVEmu website + NEW ROM!

MADrigal

Even though I recently spent most of my time planning my wedding (September 9th, 2012), I kept on searching for obscure and unknown stuff for the CreatiVision system.

I recently put my hands on a few nice items, which I promptly pictured, scanned, dumped, and I'm now sharing with all CreatiVision fans, then I also got many pics and informations from new and old contributors. Here's a list of the new files.

Software, carts

- Air-Sea Attack (Japanese version): box

- Air-Sea Attack (Zanussi version): yellow paper variant of the manual

- BASIC (Hanimex Rameses): box, hi-res manual

- Crazy Chewy: box, cartridge

- Crazy Chicky (Japanese version): box

- Tank Attack (Zanussi version): yellow paper variant of the manual

Software, cassette tapes

- Air-Sea Attack (Salora Manager): box, tape

- Demo Tape (Hanimex Rameses): box, tape, WAV file

- Sonic Invader (Salora Manager): box, tape

Hardware

- CreatiVision console (Swiss version): pictures

- CreatiVision console (Australian version): pictures

- Cassette Storage Module (Hanimex Rameses): pictures

- Cassette Storage Module (VTech Funvision): manual

- 16K Memory Expansion Module (Salora Manager): box

- Expansion Module #1 (Salora Manager): pictures

But the most juicy news is about the recently discovered early revision of Police Jump, displaying Dangerous Dan as a "clone" of Donkey Kong (more infos on the news from June 25,th 2012).

Well I'm releasing the dump of the ROM program, and I'm also adding the updated version of the popular interface, CreatiVe-UI (v. 1.09), now recognizing the Police Jump ROM.

I even found some time to convert the WAV sample of the Rameses Demo Tape into a plain TXT file, for use with FunnyMu Unofficial and CvEmu2 emulators.

The new files are available in the Emulators, ROM Programs and BASIC programs pages.

Lastly, there's new scans available in the Articles from the 80's area: a nice advertisement for CreatiVision and Laser 110/210 computers, appearing on German magazine Tele Match issue 6/83, and a nice article on the "console wars" appearing on German magazine Chip issue 3/83. Read them from the usual Articles and Flyers page.

Credits go to Mikko Heinonen from Finland, Basilio Lenzo and Mauro Spadazzi from Italy, Jens Brinkmann from Germany, and James Rich from Australia.

URL: http://www.madrigald....it/creativemu/

Very cool, I didn't even know about this device (the CreatiVision). Going by the Wikipedia article, I am gathering that it wasn't released in the United States?

no it wasn't.

but i recently discovered a south-american release. not sure the exact country, (the owner is from venezuela and he thinks it was bought somewhere else, not venezuela).

the unit has 110v power supply, and provably it's NTSC. i still need to gather more informations about that unit.

maybe it was just a "prototype" or a "pre-sale" unit, used for promotion or for testing purposes... not sure if it actually shipped in venezuela/brazil etc...

the only known ntsc model which officially hit the shelves is the japanese one. it's darn rare.

by the way, since all modern TV's are "multi-standard" (they work both with PAL and NTSC), most US collectors use the PAL version. as for the voltage, you could use a self-made power supply, or buy a "220v->110v" converter.

ps. if you like the Wikipedia article (which I partially wrote) you will like the "history" part on my CreatiVEmu website. there's also a few nice pics there.

Edited by MADrigal
  • Like 1

Although the system was never released in North America I found six boxed carts at a Value Village in Canada several years ago. Astro Pinball, Auto Chase, Planet Defender, Police Jump, Sonic Invader and Tennis.

I initially grabbed the carts because I thought that they might be rare 2600 carts that I had never seen before. It was only after I got home and did some research that I figured out what I had found. There wasn't a system at the store - I always look for stuff like that.

@Star Raider

I suppose you still have those boxed carts, do you?

The online database on my CreatiVEmu website still lacks a good scan of the "international version" of Planet Defender box and manual.

Would you like to contribute the website by providing me scans? If so, please send me a message via the "contact" form on the website, I will tell you where to send scans, the needed resolution, dpi setting, etc. :-)

Edited by MADrigal

• 3 years later...

1st January, 2016
Happy new year everybody! 2015 has been an important year for the CreatiVision community, thanks to the restless CSL Team who released the wonderful CSL Module after over one year of development!
Hopefully 2016 will be as generous as 2015 in terms of development of new software programs and games.

Meanwhile, I am sure that you will love the new scans and photos of rare CreatiVision and Laser 2001 items that I am adding to the database. This is the list of new files:

Releases/Hardware:
- CreatiVision MK-II, Laser 500 variant (German manual)
- Salora Manager (codes of box and manuals)

Releases/Software:
- Crazy Chicky, South African version (manual)
- Deep Sea Adventure, Salora Manager version (manual)
- Tennis, CreatiVision version (later box variant)
- Who's For Tennis, Hanimex Rameses version (box, cartridge)
- CSL Module, homebrew (box, cartridge, tape interface)

Thanks to Jarkko Pitajamaki, Oreste Antignano, Gernot Hirth and Thomas Gutmeier for providing the materials and unvaluable support!

URL: http://www.madrigaldesign.it/creativemu/

• Like 1