IGNORED

TI Gameshelf

Vorticon

• 9 months later...

Not sure what's going on here. I can still access the site via FTP, so it's still there. Maybe it's a temporary issue with Earthlink which hosts it. I checked my site account and it's up to date on all payments and still active... If the site is not up within the next few hours, I'll give them a call.

looks like a dns issue upstream from earhtlink.. if i look up the address on earlthlink i get

nslookup tigameshelf.net DNS2.EARTHLINK.NET
Server: DNS2.EARTHLINK.NET
Address: 64.29.153.110#53
Name: tigameshelf.net
Address: 66.175.58.9
while if i do it on another dns provider:
nslookup tigameshelf.net 8.8.8.8
Server: 8.8.8.8
Address: 8.8.8.8#53
** server can't find tigameshelf.net: NXDOMAIN
Greg
  • Like 1

I wonder how long it's been out. I had not checked up on it for at least 2-3 weeks...

I use a free site to check the upness of thekeep.net it works pretty good.. it's called uptimerobot.com I use it for all my websites and it emails me when there's a down event and when it recovers..

Greg

Edited by arcadeshopper
  • Like 1

IMO when it comes to hosting you get what you pay for. I use a RackSpace cloud server which allows me to use any OS I prefer (Windows, FreeBSD, Linux, etc.) and set up a server however I want (you get root to your server). You can make snapshots of the VM at any time, and they have monitoring that will email you when anything goes down. Of course if you don't check you email for a day then it does not always help... ;-) Cost is reasonable IMO. Then again, I like to configure my own unix box, which may not be for everyone.

• Like 1

IMO when it comes to hosting you get what you pay for. I use a RackSpace cloud server which allows me to use any OS I prefer (Windows, FreeBSD, Linux, etc.) and set up a server however I want (you get root to your server). You can make snapshots of the VM at any time, and they have monitoring that will email you when anything goes down. Of course if you don't check you email for a day then it does not always help... ;-) Cost is reasonable IMO. Then again, I like to configure my own unix box, which may not be for everyone.

Yeah way above my pay scale :-D I just want a simple interface that works, and frankly I have never previously had any problems with Earthlink since 2005. The issue was that they were trying to contact me to update the site info, but were using an obsolete email address. Having had no response from me, they blocked the site.

Well, it is back up now, so that's really all that matters. :-) And, in case you don't have enough to do, as I was perusing the games on the site I was thinking "hmm, I wonder when that game was first released and when it was added to the Game Shelf?". Some of the title screen have dates, but a lot of them don't. Just a suggestion.

• Like 1

Well, it is back up now, so that's really all that matters. :-) And, in case you don't have enough to do, as I was perusing the games on the site I was thinking "hmm, I wonder when that game was first released and when it was added to the Game Shelf?". Some of the title screen have dates, but a lot of them don't. Just a suggestion.

The thing is the TI Gameshelf is not meant to be encyclopedic. Rather from its inception I intended it to be sort of a window display where people could browse lazily while sipping a cup of coffee or something. There are far better program repositories out there, chief among them the TI Gamebase, with very complete information, and it makes little sense to duplicate that.

I also wanted it to be very simple for the main reason that my knowledge of HTML is extremely primitive and I coded all the content manually. That makes it easy to update and compatible with the most primitive of browsers.

• Like 1

The thing is the TI Gameshelf is not meant to be encyclopedic. Rather from its inception I intended it to be sort of a window display where people could browse lazily while sipping a cup of coffee or something. There are far better program repositories out there, chief among them the TI Gamebase, with very complete information, and it makes little sense to duplicate that.

I also wanted it to be very simple for the main reason that my knowledge of HTML is extremely primitive and I coded all the content manually. That makes it easy to update and compatible with the most primitive of browsers.

speaking of the most primitive of browsers wonder if we could make a tibrowser version .. it doesn't support transfers tho..

• 3 months later...

Sorry about the delay in updating the site with the newer offerings, but I've been dealing with an "interesting" issue regarding my site usage statistics:

post-25753-0-14396800-1485439977_thumb.jpg

Apparently my site has had 6.12TB of traffic in the past few days, thus exceeding my limit by over 4TB! Since my site as only 1.44GB of data, the entire website would have had to have been downloaded more than 6000 times to reach that level of usage... At 0.02 cents per megabyte above my quota, that's $82400 in additional charges :-o

Clearly there is something fishy here. When I called tech support, they verified that my actual usage was in the order of 0.8TB (which I still think is surprisingly high for a simple hobby site like mine), and they were working on it. Until this is resolved however, I am holding off on making any site updates in order not to muddy the situation further. More info forthcoming once I get this sorted out.

Here's the funny thing: the clearly indian-accented tech rep named Frank (yeah right...) assured me that if I get charged for the overage, they will offer me a refund. Good luck charging my American Express card $80400 he he :grin:

• Like 6

Sorry about the delay in updating the site with the newer offerings, but I've been dealing with an "interesting" issue regarding my site usage statistics:

attachicon.gifEarthlink.jpg

Apparently my site has had 6.12TB of traffic in the past few days, thus exceeding my limit by over 4TB! Since my site as only 1.44GB of data, the entire website would have had to have been downloaded more than 6000 times to reach that level of usage... At 0.02 cents per megabyte above my quota, that's $82400 in additional charges :-o

Clearly there is something fishy here. When I called tech support, they verified that my actual usage was in the order of 0.8TB (which I still think is surprisingly high for a simple hobby site like mine), and they were working on it. Until this is resolved however, I am holding off on making any site updates in order not to muddy the situation further. More info forthcoming once I get this sorted out.

Here's the funny thing: the clearly indian-accented tech rep named Frank (yeah right...) assured me that if I get charged for the overage, they will offer me a refund. Good luck charging my American Express card $80400 he he :grin:

nice.. and if you still have issues I can't recommend Don's lizardhill.com hosting enough.. Great service cheap prices and no metering traffic just storage space and features

Greg

Edited by arcadeshopper
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

OK I finally fixed things up with Earthlink as far as the data overage issue, although they never admitted to any issues on their end...

The site has been updated. If I missed a game, please let me know.

I have also eliminated the zip file compilations and the Gamebase downloads as they are large files that could affect my data monthly quota. If anyone wants the zip file, just PM me.

• Like 2