IGNORED

ULTRASATAN

lotharek

You need to write image file onto SD card. Usually it goes with PC and USB card reader. There is diverse SW capable of doing that write.

For instance: http://atari.8bitchip.info/drimus.php

After finished writing - what usually takes 2-10 minutes, you insert SD card in UltraSatan, and power on Atari. It will autoboot, and you can access files on card.

Edited by ParanoidLittleMan

• 2 weeks later...

How many have performed the Internal Ultra Satan Install?

On the Internal install boards, it looks like no power switch is required to turn on, following the trace it looks like power bypasses the toggle switch solder pads. Is that correct?

Where did others pickup your ACSI signals? I can see about 12 of the 19 connections on the tops side, all are able to be picked up from the bottom side, but what is the best cable routing back to top side.

I want to do an internal but, acsi connections are making me think otherwise.

Any one have pics of their internal ACSI connections?

Best Regards

Robert

Hmm, I installed a "Jookie" model Ultrasatan in my STacy

internally, but I literally just dropped the US into the old

(former) hard drive bay and ran power to it. As fas as

the ACSI connection went, I used Alan H.'s internal

STacy/Mega STe connector.

What machine are you trying to put it into?

Yep, that makes it tougher.

I've never tried to solder the ACSI

connection internally. Might be a

bit rough.

If you don't get any further info

here, I'd take it to Atari Forum

and see what the gang there

has to say.

HTHs.

Edited by DarkLord

• 2 years later...

late afternoon sunday fun....

Ultrasatan fitted inside atari STE :-)

next step - test two usatan units the same time - interna and external...

anyone interested in manul of connection ??

Hi lotharek i have purchased your internal ultrasatan board , could you give some data on how to install it or a guide ?.

Thanks

Well this thing just rocks...had a lot of fun hooking it up and playing with mine yesterday.

Yes a user manual would be nice. Do I need to unplug it after use, or will it shut down automatically after a certain amount of time? The green light stayed on so I just unplugged mine..

The switch on the back, I take switches between SD card slots? Can you do this while the computer is on or best to switch while the system is off? I really liked the content on the SD cart the Ultrasatan came with (demos and partitions, etc) so i'd hate to format over it and lose that data. What i'm thinking is to get a second sd card for slot 2, and format that to be recognized on Macs and PC's.

The switch on the back, I take switches between SD card slots? Can you do this while the computer is on or best to switch while the system is off? I really liked the content on the SD cart the Ultrasatan came with (demos and partitions, etc) so i'd hate to format over it and lose that data. What i'm thinking is to get a second sd card for slot 2, and format that to be recognized on Macs and PC's.

Switch on back is power switch. From web site "Device uses two sd card slots, where each card is recognised as different ACSI device in chain."

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

If you can get me some information it could be great i have me ultra satan here and love to install it :D

Look for the thread under Troed's comment on this post: https://www.facebook.com/groups/133161394213/permalink/10153991541884214/

Hopefully he'll post a full howto sometime.

Oh yeah, I agree that UltraSatan is awesome.

I can see he killed his ste trying

No, he was replying to a post where someone else killed their ST trying this and a whole load of other changes at the same time- they had removed the ACSI port entirely, which is unnecessary and probably a bad idea.

Edited by galax

• 2 weeks later...

I got the external version in the mail to NYC today, just one week after it was shipped. It came with the cable and an 8GB SD card with partisans already on it. Since I'm very much a beginner, please tell me if I'm doing things right:

I connected one end of the cable to the Ultrasatan, and the other to my Atari 1040 STe's hard disk. I connected a MicroUSB to it, and plugged it in, and the light goes on. I put the SD card in the left side (does it matter?), and turned it on. I then powered on the STe.

Nothing appears different (just floppy Floppy Disk A and B showing up as usual, no hard disk). Not sure what to do next. Was "Hard Disk" supposed to just appear?

Sorry if this has been covered, but searching only led me to internal versions and how to do partitions on a card. No need, since my SD card is pre-formatted with partitions. Is there something I need to add to the card for it to appear?

Edited by Zap!

Edit: Just put the included SD card in my PC via a USB SD card reader. Says it's not accessible, and that "the volume does not contain a recognized file system." Don't know if this is normal or not, but was planning on transferring ST games on my PC to the card.

Cards shipped with UltraSatan are partitioned with now freeware ICD tools - in Atari GEMDOS (AHDI) format. That's not recognized by Windows. But with this SW you may access partitions on it:

http://atari.8bitchip.info/drimus.php

For more comfortable work I recommend TOS/DOS partitioning - look for details on same link as above, just without drimus.php .

• Like 1

Cards shipped with UltraSatan are partitioned with now freeware ICD tools - in Atari GEMDOS (AHDI) format. That's not recognized by Windows. But with this SW you may access partitions on it:

http://atari.8bitchip.info/drimus.php

For more comfortable work I recommend TOS/DOS partitioning - look for details on same link as above, just without drimus.php .

Ok, I'll try that when I get home tonight from work. Still, shouldn't it have at least booted on my STe? It did not recognize the HD.

The SD card came with the following "8Gb SANDISK SD card with some stuff (9 partitions, C: - boot, D: - best demos for ST/STE - ICDPRO, other - empty)"

Did I need to put something else on it for it to boot?

Nothing appears different (just floppy Floppy Disk A and B showing up as usual, no hard disk). Not sure what to do next. Was "Hard Disk" supposed to just appear?

Did you have a disk in drive A? If so the ST will boot from this and not the hard disk.

He probably doesn't want to sound like he's spamming so I'll recommend that you move to PP's hard disk driver in the long run; the smallest fastest easiest option for UltraSatan: http://atari.8bitchip.info/pphdr.php- I made a short video here for a friend, once you get the driver software onto the ST everything becomes very simple:

You can test out his driver by downloading the 1GB of games image here, and flashing it to a good name brand SD card using the drive imaging program mentioned before: http://atari.8bitchip.info/DiskImgPP1.html

Use ParanoidLittleMans driver - well worth buying (link in my signature). It means you can stick the SD cards into your PC and copy HDD adapted games on there (also found in his site), and nearly all of the dbug conversion work as well, although I never got their Batman Movie game working, hopefully PP might do that game in future.

The other nice thing with that driver is it has a low memory foot print and tends to work with just about any game you throw at it.

Edited by GadgetUK
  • Like 1

Did you have a disk in drive A? If so the ST will boot from this and not the hard disk.

He probably doesn't want to sound like he's spamming so I'll recommend that you move to PP's hard disk driver in the long run; the smallest fastest easiest option for UltraSatan: http://atari.8bitchip.info/pphdr.php- I made a short video here for a friend, once you get the driver software onto the ST everything becomes very simple:

You can test out his driver by downloading the 1GB of games image here, and flashing it to a good name brand SD card using the drive imaging program mentioned before: http://atari.8bitchip.info/DiskImgPP1.html

No I did not try it with a floppy, but drive A is broken anyway so it wouldn't matter. No floppy has loaded in quite some time, and I have to get around to replacing it. However, I'll try completely disconnecting it. The floppy drive makes noises for a good 40 seconds or so before GEM/TOS loads. Perhaps it's sending some sort of bad signal? Unlikely, but I'll try.

Thanks for the video. I'll try that first before disconnecting the floppy. Being a long-time member, I'm more worried about sounding like an idiot than a spammer. :D

Edited by Zap!