IGNORED

The Solution to Solaris

Statichamster

I have done it.

I started this game when I was 11 years old, before there was internet to look this stuff up. I drew maps on graph paper and played this game over and over again but like many never completed it.

Then I came here, and found this thead: http://www.atariage....-about-solaris/

Thanks to the information found in there I was finally able to beat the game, and like I used to when I was younger I wrote a solution book to it. Thought I would make a new topic to share it. The book follows the same solution as the Speedrun Video found in the other topic but teaches you the techniques he used. It also is a re-write of that terrible instruction manual. Hope you like it.

Solaris Solution.pdf

• Like 14

@Master Phruby - Yeah its only slightly better than that, it feels a bit anti-climatic in this day and age, but really its the epicness of the journey that makes it worth it. I won't spoil the final screen for those that want to see it for themselves.

Thanks for all the positive responses, I'm glad you guys like it.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

Well, the best joystick for me for playing Solaris is the Wico bat joystick that had the button on top. When I was in a red zone, I would just reverse the joystick and play it like it was normal zone.

I think it would be great if the game was ported to the 7800 or 8-bit seeing the source code is available.

Thanks for making this guide! It looks fantastic. I bought this game new in the late 80s and thought it was really impressive graphically and in gameplay. It was one of my most-played games from that era, along with California Games and Midnight Magic. I drew out maps and got pretty good at keeping my ship "synced" (or whatever the terminology is) when going through hyperspace. I never made it to Solaris, though. I would usually end up at a dead end when going to another sector and get ambushed by the pirate guys.

Thanks.

I would also love it if any one got on here that could finish Solaris without phasing; the other guides tend to give that solution...it is very long and without proper maps very convoluted. You're forced to destroy a Federation Planet and you have to go through the permanent red zone north of the quadrant with Solaris.

I even gave a copy of this guide to the original creator of the game; he liked it. It would be cool if I could get a NIB copy and have him sign it.

• 2 months later...

How neat is this! :P

It's strange because I finally got around to buying a copy of this game about a month ago (NIB copy), and after a month full of hair-pulling, now we have this awesome document. This is what I would've hoped the manual in the box to be (minus the walkthrough of course, but very nice it's included here in this).

Being from the software world, I would dub this the game's "Missing Manual". Basically the thing that should have come packed in the box and didn't. Excellent job! :-D

Currently trying to play through "The Last Starfighter". An early version of Solaris (dated 1984) with several differences.

No real map, more like a tunnel, with an exit in the north that leads to a new quadrant without a south exit. Leaving a quadrant gets you a free life, Zylon planets do not although they are functionally the same. Haven't seen a Corridor yet. Mine Fields are shorter and are followed by dogfights with random ships. Ships attack planets with exploding sounds when they are beside a Federation planet.

Can't get very far, maybe four screens, but its interesting and I'm wondering if it goes to 16. As it's a prototype and never released for the Atari I can't find any maps or playthroughs or anything so I'm on my own.