IGNORED

Anybody else a 'Collector' of the TI-99 4/A?

schuwalker

Used to have an amazing (no pun intended) collection of TI stuff - but am just down to what I enjoy to play (which is still a healthy collection). Or dust from time to time. :lol:

Some prized possessions include many books on programming games and such for the TI. Full set of Micropendiums too. The TI really is a special computer and reading through old mags (especially Compute!) reminds me of just how cool it was to have one of these machines back in the day.

I don't actively collect for the TI, but once in a while I pick up specific games or items that are interesting to me.

I'd like to get a TI monitor at some point. Those things are nice. Otherwise there isn't too much for the TI that i really want (I'm past the point of getting stuff just for the sake of having it). A couple Atarisoft titles, a Tunnels of Doom and Adventure tapes, and Miner 2049er are about it.

I have a modest TI collection with a few "greatest hits" I remember from childhood (Parsec, Alpiner), a few games I liked when I had a TI emulation kick a decade ago (Hunt the Wumpus), and a small pile of edutainment that I got with various lots.

I'd play it more, but it's a minor hassle to set up -- I wish it had the same AV pinout that the C64 and SMS do. And I don't have any joysticks, which is similarly annoying since if it were just pin-compatible with the Atari 2600 I'd be all set. Love the speech synthesis, though.

I'd like to actually. I got out my TI and games last weekend and played them all (about 40 or 50 loose carts) I'm selling off quite a few I didn't care for or have better versions of the same game on another system. After I saw BassGuitari review Super Demon Attack and having already concluded it was one of the top three best titles on the system (from what I own) I did seek out and purchase my first CIB copy of that (and I'm now selling the loose copy in marketplace). I'd like to upgrade those titles I really like to CIB, and check out more titles that I'm not familiar with. I've been on an Adam / Classic PC kick recently. The TI really feels at home in that category.

I'd like to actually. I got out my TI and games last weekend and played them all (about 40 or 50 loose carts) I'm selling off quite a few I didn't care for or have better versions of the same game on another system. After I saw BassGuitari review Super Demon Attack and having already concluded it was one of the top three best titles on the system (from what I own) I did seek out and purchase my first CIB copy of that (and I'm now selling the loose copy in marketplace). I'd like to upgrade those titles I really like to CIB, and check out more titles that I'm not familiar with. I've been on an Adam / Classic PC kick recently. The TI really feels at home in that category.

Imagic was one of the first gaming catalogs I tried to complete first. I believe I have all of them except for one - have to look on my list.

Super Demon Attack was definitely one of the gems I recall playing A LOT bitd. Well, this and Microsurgeon!:) My only fault on the game is I wish it incorporated some kind of speech!

I forgot one other thing... Imagic isn't the only one guilty, but those *plastic* cases these came in are cheap! By FAR, the worst case for a cart!

TI Demonattack has speech so you must be referring to Microsurgeon. I've never played that game on any system. Pretty good is it?

I don't remember that - guess I'll have the hook the TI up again! ;)

Microsurgeon does have speech - that I do recall... I noticed one of the comments was from the author of this game -cool!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCALI3TdpjY

Edited by schuwalker

Well, the copy I played in dsk format has speech. I've never seen an original cart so maybe yours does not.

After playing it on a emulator and watching several Youtube videos, I can confirm the cart version does *not* have speech.

Strange, since the other Imagic games contain speech, and this one doesn't? Anybody have any insight? Memory constraints?

Conversation about speech above is a little confusing... is yellow saying that the disk version of Demon Attack has speech? Because the cart version certainly does not. What do they say in that game? Enemies advancing or level status or something?

Cart of Microsurgeon has tons of speech. Great game, probably the version of any console or home computer.

Conversation about speech above is a little confusing... is yellow saying that the disk version of Demon Attack has speech? Because the cart version certainly does not. What do they say in that game? Enemies advancing or level status or something?

Here's a little blurb about it in the 'trivia' section. As to what it says I don't know...

http://www.videogamehouse.net/superdemon.html

I'm probably about the craziest collector of things TI-99/4A out there. I have just about everything that ever made it to cartridge, including a small number of prototypes. I've also got one of the most comprehensive multilingual libraries of TI books, magazines, and documentation and a lot of really esoteric hardware too. I even have a pair of TI-99/8 machines and the PEB cards designed to work with them.

On those plastic boxes/cases used for later cartridge releases from TI (the Imagic carts were TI releases, Imagic just coded them), they are a bit flimsy, but not really much worse than the box with the plastic insert.

For the hard-core, try finding cartridge boxes from Scott-Foresman (the ones they put out under their own label, not the ones that TI also produced) and Navarone. The Navarone boxes will be a lot easier. . .

For the label variation freaks, look very carefully at the European releases--there are a lot of variants there that don't make it to North America very often.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I consider myself a pretty heavy collector for the TI. I have a ton of carts, several systems, some NIB and rare stuff.

Great system IMHO. I got my initial TI for $1 new from a local air base when Texas Instruments released a press conference stating they were no longer producing it back in '82 or '83.

I've been a TI fan ever since. The system has a lot of great games and ports.

Hello out there...not a collector, not a dealer just a guy who came across a bunch of games that I am looking to sell for a neighbor. She had games for several different systems including the TI99. Where is the best place to move these, EBAY? And where do I start with prices. Not looking for top dollar but don't want to give them away, she can use the money. Any help appreciated.

Why don't you tell folks what you have, and they'll give you their feedback? It doesn't sound like you have dollar signs in your eyes, but just remember that 98% of the carts out there for most systems (including the TI) are worth no more than $1-2 apiece at best, especially if they're loose without instructions.

And with any computer, edutainment and accounting programs are usually worthless, with very few exceptions (like Learning Fun I/II for Intellivision). Since the TI had a lot of those, the odds of a random cart collection having much value are slim.

Good avice there--most TI cartridges are pretty common fare. The exceptions show up with third-party stuff for the most part (though some of those are pretty easy to find as well). A few TI manufactured cartridges are really difficult to find, so you might get lucky there too. Put up a list (or a picture of them), and you'll get some feedback pretty quickly. Random lots sometimes have real gems in them too. I bought two lots off eBay last month that had FOUR prototype cartridges between them--and got them for a lot less than I was willing to pay for either of the two that I really wanted, as neither of them made it past prototype stage (the other two were preproduction versions of the final code, but still interesting).

I poked around Ebay and posted these 8 games by AtariSoft (in boxes no manuals):

Moon Patrol/Jungle Hunt/Pole Position/MsPac Man (On ebay # 271121853966) and

Donkey Kong, Picnic Paranoia/Defender/PacMan (ebay 271121857136).

Other Games she has :

The Attack (No box but manual & Cart)

Extended Basic (Complete)

Addition/Subtraction 1 (Complete)

Othello (Complete)

Numeration (Complete)

Chisholm Trail (Complete)

Parsec (Complete)

Munchman (Complete)

Says Command Module on Box, with manual & cart

Connect 4

Hangman