IGNORED

Best way to remove full disc rental labels?

Austin

I have a few ex-rental discs that have not just your usual rental stickers, but full-blown disc-sized labels on top. These are pretty thin as far as I can tell, and trying to pick at it with my fingernail doesn't seem to be doing much. Does anyone have any advice on removing these?

For this disc in particular I am thinking about leaving it (sort of preserving the "history" of this example--it was a Hollywood Video exclusive as far as I know). At the same time though, I would kind of like it removed:

post-24675-0-12479000-1353891043_thumb.jpg

Be extra careful with these full disc rental labels. They used super-duty glue that can peel down to the data layer. I ruined a Dreamcast disc by attempting one with a razor scraper.

My recommendation is to use only a heat gun like made for peeling paint, and make sure to use low heat setting and hold it minimum of 6 inches away from the game disc. Go slow, heating, peeling, heating some more, peeling some more, etc. Good luck.

• Like 1

I was thinking that too, but I wasn't sure how good that would be for the disc itself (I used to use those at an old employer for shrinkwrapping, and they naturally get pretty hot). Do you think the heat of a hair blow dryer might be enough? I don't have access to an industrial strength heat gun, but I might have one of the latter laying around.

Edited by Austin

I've broken discs with goo gone. It can harm the disc and bond of the metal to the plastic if it gets between the layers. Your best bet is to try and simply clean the words off with a tissue and some rubbing alcohol. You will still get the benefit of the protective layer leaving the decal on without damaging the discs, and the ugly words will be gone. Works on most Movie Gallery, all GameCrazy / Hollywood video, but not usually blockbuster (they printed on the underside of the decal).

I was thinking that too, but I wasn't sure how good that would be for the disc itself (I used to use those at an old employer for shrinkwrapping, and they naturally get pretty hot). Do you think the heat of a hair blow dryer might be enough? I don't have access to an industrial strength heat gun, but I might have one of the latter laying around.

My experience is that a hair dryer just doesn't have the necessary heat output, but since its all you've got, prove me wrong. As far as a heat gun damaging the disc: So long as you use low heat setting and keep it at least 6 inches from the disc surface, there should be no problems. As an extra precaution, I would limit the heat applications to periods of no longer than 15 seconds each.

I don't know if this would be good for a game disc, but for glue that is stuck on game cases, I have used peanut butter, left it on for a couple of hours, and most of the glue seems to come off when you wipe off the peanut butter. Any residual amount seems to easily come off with one of those isopropanol pads.

Seems like the oils in peanut butter slowly make the glue soft, hence it is easier to remove.

• Like 1

I don't know if this would be good for a game disc, but for glue that is stuck on game cases, I have used peanut butter, left it on for a couple of hours, and most of the glue seems to come off when you wipe off the peanut butter. Any residual amount seems to easily come off with one of those isopropanol pads.

Seems like the oils in peanut butter slowly make the glue soft, hence it is easier to remove.

I was going to suggest the same thing. I've had glue residues that were darn near impossible to get rid of easily wipe away after a few rubdowns with a tiny amount of peanut butter.

Your best bet is to try and simply clean the words off with a tissue and some rubbing alcohol. You will still get the benefit of the protective layer leaving the decal on without damaging the discs, and the ugly words will be gone. Works on most Movie Gallery, all GameCrazy / Hollywood video, but not usually blockbuster (they printed on the underside of the decal).

I never would have considered that. Sometimes the best ideas are the simplest ones. Thanks for the idea!

My copy of Tokyo Xtreme Racer would have thanked you, god bless its little foil soul.

The words clean right off with rubbing alcohol as I'd said. I don't know why anyone would bother trying to remove the sticker (since it actually protects the disc) if the words can be gone in 2 minutes.

The case it's in also protects the disc. I'd prefer the label to be off completely.

Thanks for the tip though, I might have to try it regardless.

It's best not to remove those labels if you can avoid it at all. They're meant to STAY on there, to deter someone renting a title and then selling it elsewhere, or otherwise doing something else with it. It literally doesn't take much adhesive power to remove the metal foil, which is only protected by the lacquer and silkscreened image from being damaged, at which point the disc is just gone.

And yes, it does seem like the bond between the foil and the lacquer is just slightly stronger than the bond between the foil and the plastic.

Someone on digital press mentioned soaking it in lighter fluid, not sure that's such a great idea either. Look most of the games we're talking about were on the SEGA CD, Saturn, PS1, and Dreamcast systems. They gave up the practice largely before the PS2 came out. Most of the games are not expensive or hard to find. When I get one, I just resell it for spit and move on.

I use goo gone for all stickers. For this application putting goo gone on the sticker itself will do any no good at all. Instead grab a q-tip and get it soaked w/goo gone then place goo gone along the edge of the sticker label and disc. Use your finger nail to lift the edge while forcing the goo gone underneath the label. Slowly peep back the label while constantly adding more goo gone and swiping the residue away. Repeat until entire label is lifted changing q-tips now and then to get clean cotton to absord the glue.

I always finish any goo- gone procedure by wiping off the entire area w/alcohol. Then checking for any residual glue. I did this to an 18 wheeler dreamcast game to test awhile back. I removed a nasty blockbuster disc label. Stickers annoy me. I would hate any sticker being on my games even if it was clear. The fact it is not suppose to be there drives me nuts. However these stickers are hard to get off and time consuming so unless the game has value I wouldn't bother removing it.

• Like 1

For Sonic Adventure I'd definitely leave it on. Like you said, it's a part of that title's history and authenticity. I kind of like it. It's too bad that I don't have a clean copy, or I'd trade.

Yeah, this specific version is the one that I believe was exclusive to Hollywood Video (It's a semi-nerfed "Limited" edition where some features of the official retail game are stripped), so I may end up just leaving it on there. There aren't a ton of these discs out there, so it would be a shame to ruin it. I do have a Power Rangers Pinball game on PlayStation that has the same rental label on it, so I might experiment with that one instead.

Yeah, this specific version is the one that I believe was exclusive to Hollywood Video (It's a semi-nerfed "Limited" edition where some features of the official retail game are stripped), so I may end up just leaving it on there. There aren't a ton of these discs out there, so it would be a shame to ruin it. I do have a Power Rangers Pinball game on PlayStation that has the same rental label on it, so I might experiment with that one instead.

So the question becomes, was it only some stores that did the label on that version of Sonic Adventure, or was it ALL of them? It could be that the label overlay is effectively part of the release, and removing it, even successfully, will drop the value.

So the question becomes, was it only some stores that did the label on that version of Sonic Adventure, or was it ALL of them? It could be that the label overlay is effectively part of the release, and removing it, even successfully, will drop the value.

They pop up on ebay both with and without the sticker. It doesn't seem to have much bearing on price. I usually go through a lot of effort to remove stickers from my carts and discs, but if it's a rental exclusive I would make the exception. Much like finding a Blockbuster sticker on a Flintstones Surprise at Dinosaur Peak cart. It kinda adds to the charm of it.

Caution, with the heat gun. One of the chief contributors to disc rot may be heating/cooling (expansion/contraction) and using a heat gun - or hair dryer - can be a worst-case scenario. I advise to leave the disc label on. If it's a bother, then buy another copy of the game, as you may hasten the destruction of the game by trying to remove the label, in the first place.

• 4 years later...

Ive never tried this but maybe soaking the disk in rubbing alcohol. Im sure it would take awhile since it can only get in through the edge at first. I also like the peanut butter idea.

i think Ill try that one today on quite a few cases with residue. I wonder if it would work to just try some mineral oil or baby oil? One way to find out.