IGNORED

Atari Inc. - Business Is Fun Now Available!

Albert

We are proud to announce that the digital version of Atari Inc. - Business Is Fun is now out! Available in the iBook, Kindle, and Nook stores, this is a full color version in all it's historic glory. Only $19.95!

Cool. I may buy an Ibook version as well. You should make a separate thread announcing the digital version so more people see it. Assuming you haven't already. It would be a good thing to have on the front page as well if you can get Albert to do it.

Allan

• 2 weeks later...

i just posted a review on my goodreads page. I really enjoyed it, can't wait for the next installment(s) :)

Here is the link to the review http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/613347219

and here is a copy:

I grew up with Atari. One of my earliest memories is playing the original Pong, and when we were kids I also remember all the other kids around coming over to play our 2600. To this day in my storage unit I have a 2600, 5200, 7800, Lynx, and Jaguar (with Jag CD!) with hundreds of games for them. Needless to say, I am an Atari type of dude, so this book was a wonderful treat for me.

It takes you from the earliest beginnings of Atari, back when it was three dudes and called Syzygy, and ends with the sale of Atari to the Tramiel family. From start to finish it was w wild ride, for sure. While many of these stories were vaguely familiar to me, there were many, many details I had never heard before. I loved hearing the stories about all the experimentation that was going on. The birth and death of Kermit the robot was great- I had never heard about that before. The thought process behind all the design decisions for the home systems and arcade cabinets was something that I was really interested in. All of these is backed up by a copious amount of pictures, technical documents,internal memos, and wonderful, in depth quotes from most of the players at the time. Hearing from Ted Dabney for the first time was great.

This is a huge book. A book this size, with such a focus on technical issues, would risk losing the audience under a mountain of details, but the crisp writing and great pacing (they frequently jump a bit back and forth in time, with interviews strung throughout) ensures that you never, as a reader, get a chance to feel bored or confused by the tech talk. At around 700 pages (reading it on my kindle, so not exactly sure of the size), with tons of great stories and interviews, by the time I was done I felt like I had lived through the rise and fall of Atari myself. This book is a must have for anyone who is a fan of (or curious about) the roots of video gaming. These are the guys who essentially created an industry, and changed the world. I am glad this story has finally been told in such an objective, thorough way.

When the book ends there is definitely a "wait, then what happened?" feeling, but I have been told that will be part of the next book in the series. I can't wait to read it :)

Hi Curt,

I just received your new book "Atari Inc, Business is Fun". 796 pages! Just an unbelievable volume of Atari history. I'm fascinated with this book and am just in awe as to the amount of work that you must have put into it.

Also, just wanted to say thanks for the Classic Stick 2. Received it a few days ago, and I am very impressed with the quality of this controller. You really nailed it this time around.

Congratulations on your achievements this year, and I hope for many more to come.

Ordinarily, I would not buy a hard copy (which I got a few months ago) and a Kindle edition of a book BUT because this book was so amazing AND I'm really hoping they get to do part two (Business is War) that I am...and just did!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...