Photo

Atari Inc. - Business Is Fun Now Available!

306 replies to this topic

#176 pac^man OFFLINE  

pac^man

Star Raider

• 55 posts

Posted Mon Jan 7, 2013 4:14 AM

I'm one of the backers of this book at kickstarter and still haven't received my copy. Now would have been a good time for the book to arrive as I'm going to stay at home for some time after surgery. Guess I need to get that additional kindle copy then...

#177 stardust4ever OFFLINE  

stardust4ever

River Patroller

• 3,358 posts

Posted Mon Jan 7, 2013 4:33 AM

@Curt:

You mention that the cost of an 800+ page book in full color would be astronomical.

I've had several textbooks, especially history type books, which included a section in the center seam of the book which contained full-color glossy photos. The rest of the book was basic acid-free matte paper with black-and-white print. Occasionally one of the photos would be cited in the text. It was also kind-of enjoyable when I got bored of studying to browse all of the color photos in the center section. I'm simply suggesting this hybrid print format as a cost-cutting measure. Although it would require some extra formatting, surely a 700 page hardcover book with 100 additional full color gloss pages in the middle, would be more cost effective than 800 full color pages. People could still have an option to buy the paperback edition if they felt put off by the hardcover price.

#178 rolenta OFFLINE  

rolenta

Stargunner

• 1,029 posts

Posted Mon Jan 7, 2013 7:51 AM

Here's something to look into:
http://www.publisher...economical.html

#179 Albert OFFLINE  

Albert

Greetings, Avatar!

• Topic Starter
  • 30,209 posts

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2013 7:09 PM

Got my copy today!

Posted Image

..Al

#180 Shannon OFFLINE  

Shannon

Born To Be Insane

• 7,518 posts
  • Pac-man Fever

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:44 PM

I still need to order this.. it did not quite make the christmas list this year.

#181 Allan OFFLINE  

Allan

Quadrunner

• 5,327 posts

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:30 PM

I got my copy. Mine was a little beat up but it's such a great read I don't care. The only real problem with this book is that you want more after reading it. Some sections are light but there is so much to cover that you can't even come close to getting everything.

Allan

#182 Albert OFFLINE  

Albert

Greetings, Avatar!

• Topic Starter
  • 30,209 posts

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2013 12:54 PM

I got my copy. Mine was a little beat up but it's such a great read I don't care. The only real problem with this book is that you want more after reading it. Some sections are light but there is so much to cover that you can't even come close to getting everything.

Amazon is great, but they do not pack items very well. I ordered two books from Amazon (Business is Fun and the Ultima Ultimate Collector's Guide) and they are both about the same size. Both were shipped together in the same box with zero packing material, and plenty of room for the boxes to slide around. Fortunately they both arrived in good condition, without any damage to the corners or other areas. However, two other packages in the last month arrived damaged--one was a PC case that was broken in several places when I opened the box and I had to send back. The other box had about ten different PC components all thrown in a box with no packing material. This box was crushed and completely split top to bottom on one corner, and several of the items inside had their boxes crushed as well. I'm amazed nothing disappeared from the box (it contained memory, an Intel CPU, nVidia GTX 670 video card, and other small but expensive parts..) Fortunately nothing was damaged, but c'mon.

Fortunately, returns with Amazon are easy. I ended up buying the same exact case (a Cooler Master HAF XM) locally from Fry's for only $6 more, as I didn't want to chance UPS destroying another case, plus I wanted to put my build together that weekend (I received the case and most of the other parts on a Friday).

</rant>

..Al

#183 Allan OFFLINE  

Allan

Quadrunner

• 5,327 posts

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:05 PM

Actually mine was the fault of the book maker (although the packaging kind of sucked to). The bottom of the book wasn't cut right and the spine is messed up. I don't really care because I just want to read it a bunch of times and I'm not a big collector but it's still pretty sad. Some members of my family used to have a printing business so I am familar with the subject. Normally a book like mine would have been tossed due to the poor cut but this company just ignored. Personally I would not use them to have a book printed. They do a lousy job. But like I said the books content is so good I don't really care.

Allan

#184 Retro Rogue OFFLINE  

Retro Rogue

River Patroller

• 3,243 posts

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:09 PM

Actually mine was the fault of the book maker (although the packaging kind of sucked to). The bottom of the book wasn't cut right and the spine is messed up. I don't really care because I just want to read it a bunch of times and I'm not a big collector but it's still pretty sad. Some members of my family used to have a printing business so I am familar with the subject. Normally a book like mine would have been tossed due to the poor cut but this company just ignored. Personally I would not use them to have a book printed. They do a lousy job. But like I said the books content is so good I don't really care.

Allan

Thanks for the compliments. Per the spine cuts, please complain to them about your copy. We've been seeing that happen with different runs being sent out where some are fine and some wind up chopped completely crappy. They need to know.

Also, feel free to write a review on Amazon when you're done. :)

#185 Bill Lange ONLINE  

Bill Lange

Dragonstomper

• 574 posts

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:23 PM

I ordered two books from Amazon (Business is Fun and the Ultima Ultimate Collector's Guide) and they are both about the same size.

Al,

Let me know what you think of the Ultima book. I bought it and "read" it about a year ago. I mostly just flipped through the pages looking at the pictures. I did write a review on Amazon. I wish it had more of the developers "stories" like "Atari Inc.".

Bill

#186 Mirage OFFLINE  

Mirage

Quadrunner

• 6,613 posts
  • Have a problem? Hire the Envious Snakes!

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:57 PM

I got my copy from B&N a week or so ago and just started reading it this morning. Maybe if I read 20 pages or so a night I can get through it in less than two months. I don't know how some of you find so much time to read so quickly, this is a lot of info to absorb! Quite an accomplishment here, enjoying it so far!

My copy was made just fine and only had very minor bumping from shipping. B&N isn't much better at packing than Amazon.

#187 SoulBlazer OFFLINE  

SoulBlazer

River Patroller

• 3,902 posts

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2013 6:52 PM

I got my book on Tuesday but since I'm reading something else right now I haven't started it yet. Flipping through it, it seems quite deailed and well researched with a lot of nice pictures, and my copy is in good shape.

#188 rolenta OFFLINE  

rolenta

Stargunner

• 1,029 posts

Posted Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:54 PM

The B&N site says that this book was published on September 15, 2012, and that it's the second edition.

#189 svenski OFFLINE  

svenski

Stargunner

• 1,483 posts

Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013 3:31 PM

Do you guys know when the original kickstarter backers will start getting their copies?

#190 Retro Rogue OFFLINE  

Retro Rogue

River Patroller

• 3,243 posts

Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:32 PM

Do you guys know when the original kickstarter backers will start getting their copies?

They already started. Photos of the first 10 were posted on the atarimusem and syzygy pages on Facebook.

#191 svenski OFFLINE  

svenski

Stargunner

• 1,483 posts

Posted Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:39 PM

Thats great news, thanks for the update. Will look menacingly at the Postie for the next couple of weeks.

#192 PacManPlus OFFLINE  

PacManPlus

River Patroller

• 4,124 posts
  • Atari 7800 Dev

Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:04 PM

They already started. Photos of the first 10 were posted on the atarimusem and syzygy pages on Facebook.

That's good to know - I've been eagerly looking forward to mine. :)

#193 Thorsten Günther OFFLINE  

Thorsten Günther

Dragonstomper

• 901 posts

Posted Sun Jan 27, 2013 4:16 AM

Dito here - I was hoping that those who invested 50 bucks or more into this would be the first people to receive their copies... :(

#194 Garrettimus OFFLINE  

Garrettimus

Space Invader

• 35 posts

Posted Fri Feb 1, 2013 3:20 AM

I've received the book and it's simply amazing. And my copy has a "plus". :-D

Attached Thumbnails

• Autografo.jpg

Edited by Garrettimus, Fri Feb 1, 2013 3:20 AM.

#195 Retro Rogue OFFLINE  

Retro Rogue

River Patroller

• 3,243 posts

Posted Fri Feb 1, 2013 10:28 AM

I've received the book and it's simply amazing. And my copy has a "plus". :-D

That's cool that Nolan signed it for you. Was that at Campus Party Brazil 2013? Did he say anything about the book?

#196 Garrettimus OFFLINE  

Garrettimus

Space Invader

• 35 posts

Posted Wed Feb 6, 2013 2:03 PM

That's cool that Nolan signed it for you. Was that at Campus Party Brazil 2013? Did he say anything about the book?

Exactly! No, he didn't say anything. In fact, we talked very briefly, he was about to start the talk.

Edited by Garrettimus, Wed Feb 6, 2013 2:04 PM.

#197 deckard22us OFFLINE  

deckard22us

Combat Commando

• 1 posts

Posted Sat Mar 2, 2013 8:45 AM

What is the deal with the naked people on the back cover?

http://ecx.images-am...7L._SL1360_.jpg

#198 Retro Rogue OFFLINE  

Retro Rogue

River Patroller

• 3,243 posts

Posted Mon Mar 4, 2013 8:20 PM

Just received a short but sweet five star review from noted "Ultimate History Of Video Games" author Steven L. Kent on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.co...nDateDescending

#199 PacManPlus OFFLINE  

PacManPlus

River Patroller

• 4,124 posts
  • Atari 7800 Dev

Posted Tue Mar 5, 2013 4:24 AM

Dito here - I was hoping that those who invested 50 bucks or more into this would be the first people to receive their copies... :(

Me too :(

#200 Marc Oberhäuser OFFLINE  

Marc Oberhäuser

Stargunner

• 1,359 posts

Posted Sat Mar 9, 2013 7:43 AM

Me too :(

Still waiting as well...

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users