IGNORED

Atari Inc. - Business Is Fun Now Available!

Albert

I'm one of the backers of this book at kickstarter and still haven't received my copy. Now would have been a good time for the book to arrive as I'm going to stay at home for some time after surgery. Guess I need to get that additional kindle copy then...

@Curt:

You mention that the cost of an 800+ page book in full color would be astronomical.

I've had several textbooks, especially history type books, which included a section in the center seam of the book which contained full-color glossy photos. The rest of the book was basic acid-free matte paper with black-and-white print. Occasionally one of the photos would be cited in the text. It was also kind-of enjoyable when I got bored of studying to browse all of the color photos in the center section. I'm simply suggesting this hybrid print format as a cost-cutting measure. Although it would require some extra formatting, surely a 700 page hardcover book with 100 additional full color gloss pages in the middle, would be more cost effective than 800 full color pages. People could still have an option to buy the paperback edition if they felt put off by the hardcover price.

I got my copy. Mine was a little beat up but it's such a great read I don't care. The only real problem with this book is that you want more after reading it. Some sections are light but there is so much to cover that you can't even come close to getting everything.

Allan

I got my copy. Mine was a little beat up but it's such a great read I don't care. The only real problem with this book is that you want more after reading it. Some sections are light but there is so much to cover that you can't even come close to getting everything.

Amazon is great, but they do not pack items very well. I ordered two books from Amazon (Business is Fun and the Ultima Ultimate Collector's Guide) and they are both about the same size. Both were shipped together in the same box with zero packing material, and plenty of room for the boxes to slide around. Fortunately they both arrived in good condition, without any damage to the corners or other areas. However, two other packages in the last month arrived damaged--one was a PC case that was broken in several places when I opened the box and I had to send back. The other box had about ten different PC components all thrown in a box with no packing material. This box was crushed and completely split top to bottom on one corner, and several of the items inside had their boxes crushed as well. I'm amazed nothing disappeared from the box (it contained memory, an Intel CPU, nVidia GTX 670 video card, and other small but expensive parts..) Fortunately nothing was damaged, but c'mon.

Fortunately, returns with Amazon are easy. I ended up buying the same exact case (a Cooler Master HAF XM) locally from Fry's for only $6 more, as I didn't want to chance UPS destroying another case, plus I wanted to put my build together that weekend (I received the case and most of the other parts on a Friday).

..Al

Actually mine was the fault of the book maker (although the packaging kind of sucked to). The bottom of the book wasn't cut right and the spine is messed up. I don't really care because I just want to read it a bunch of times and I'm not a big collector but it's still pretty sad. Some members of my family used to have a printing business so I am familar with the subject. Normally a book like mine would have been tossed due to the poor cut but this company just ignored. Personally I would not use them to have a book printed. They do a lousy job. But like I said the books content is so good I don't really care.

Allan

Actually mine was the fault of the book maker (although the packaging kind of sucked to). The bottom of the book wasn't cut right and the spine is messed up. I don't really care because I just want to read it a bunch of times and I'm not a big collector but it's still pretty sad. Some members of my family used to have a printing business so I am familar with the subject. Normally a book like mine would have been tossed due to the poor cut but this company just ignored. Personally I would not use them to have a book printed. They do a lousy job. But like I said the books content is so good I don't really care.

Allan

Thanks for the compliments. Per the spine cuts, please complain to them about your copy. We've been seeing that happen with different runs being sent out where some are fine and some wind up chopped completely crappy. They need to know.

Also, feel free to write a review on Amazon when you're done. :)

I ordered two books from Amazon (Business is Fun and the Ultima Ultimate Collector's Guide) and they are both about the same size.

Al,

Let me know what you think of the Ultima book. I bought it and "read" it about a year ago. I mostly just flipped through the pages looking at the pictures. I did write a review on Amazon. I wish it had more of the developers "stories" like "Atari Inc.".

Bill

I got my copy from B&N a week or so ago and just started reading it this morning. Maybe if I read 20 pages or so a night I can get through it in less than two months. I don't know how some of you find so much time to read so quickly, this is a lot of info to absorb! Quite an accomplishment here, enjoying it so far!

My copy was made just fine and only had very minor bumping from shipping. B&N isn't much better at packing than Amazon.

• 4 weeks later...