IGNORED

wip

kenfused

Memory coming back a little. I thought at one point I had found a page that gave the different randomizers used by different versions but I cannot find it now. Searching now I can't find anything definitive, but at least a couple hits seemed to say that Atari arcade and tengen NES are memoryless which I think means random. Note: IIRC one thing I did do (need to double check), is that in a two player game, both players get the same pieces in the same order which is true for the arcade (but have to check how that works in all cases since in the arcade the other player can join in at any time (but may have to wait for next level -- which I don't do yet). Never the less, I do think it would great to have options for other piece generation algorithms since they allow for some different strategies.

Currently the scoring follows the atari arcade (or at least I attempted to make it do so following what I found on the internet) except I don't have the level clearing logic in there yet (and also I may have an option to not do the level clearing, random blocks, and other things the arcade does).

Colors currently match the atari arcade version, spin/kick rules work like the atari arcade (or at least should be close I hope)

The arcade also seems to maybe update POKEY more than once a frame. I am guessing a TIA mixer would need to do this too. I don't know if I would be able to update sounds more than once a frame because allowing all 20 rows of the playing areas to have a unique palette per block along with the other graphics pretty much has MARIA consuming most of the available cycles on the playfield lines.

Edited by kenfused
  • Like 1

Yeah, I would really push to get the Atari/Tengen version as your 'basline' before adding more features (and seeing where there is room). An option for the randomizer wouldn't be too hard, I don't think, but you would want the 'arcade deck' version first. I know the algorithm for the game also uses a set 'seed' based on the player's current level, which is how you get things in order. But it's been a bit since I looked that kind of randomization technique.

As for sound... I think keeping it based for TIA is the way to go. Yeah, it does feel like something's 'missing' from the in-game play without the music, but I think it probably would be best saved for a POKEY detect. Maybe something for a level clear and intro tune, though.. even without it?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I'm sure Ken will get back to this most excellent work when he can.

Ken, if you do wind up having alternate randomizers, please throw in a randomizer with a bag system. It tilts the game more toward skill and less toward luck.

I'm sure you've already come across this already, but others might be interested in the Tetris Guideline. It nails down the official standards, and shows how existing implementations of the game can vary.

• 5 months later...