IGNORED

Retronic Design usb to classic 9-pin joystick adapter

cncfreak

I didn't see a previous thread on this so i thought i would share.

---- From another forum -----

Hello there!

I just finished build a full production of USB joystick adapter.

These adapters can be used on PC or MAC with any game or emulator (like CCS64).

This means you can get your old gaming gear out of the dust and play again like before!

usbjoystick.jpg

This adapter does not require 3rd party drivers, as far as they are HID compatible.

I sell them for 25.00$ USD.

You can either post me or get them on EBay;

http://www.retronicdesign.com/

• 11 months later...

Hi there!

I'm the one who is building those adapters.

usbplain.jpg

Any requests for special product are welcome.

I'm currently working on a paddle adapter.

The prototype works flawlessly with original paddles and Stella.

We currently have a Holiday special on the adapter. Please visit our website for more info: www.retronicdesign.com

Happy holidays! ;)

Edited by Nitz1976

• 4 weeks later...

Since I'm out of stock for now (sold 250 units during my promo sale) I'll extend the "pre sale" period until I'll ship again. It should be around the 20th of January, depending on factory's load.

To all my Atari Age friends, I want to wish an Happy new year!

• 2 months later...

Quoting myself... Is there an answer to this question?

Oh sorry, I did not saw your question.

Yes and no. They works with Atari, C64, Amiga kind of joysticks, including Sega Master System's ones. The Sega Genesis is different because it use the power pin of Atari's version to switch between button groups. If you use it as a plain 1 button joystick, yes it works. For full 3 buttons functionality, no, it won't.

I'm actually looking for the opposite: Something that can take a USB joystick and connect to a Sega Genesis/2600. The most comfortable joystick I've ever used is the default Playstation. It'd be great to take that from USB to Atari 2600. Or maybe a wired Xbox 360 to 2600.

@theloon

This thing already exists. Do a search on this site.

Super Nintendo pad are even easier to adapt.

Any hints on what to search for? I also would like a USB to 9 pin converter (as opposed to a 9 pin to USB) , and my searches here came up with nothing helpful .

Unfortunately, nothing easy.

This would be an USB host adapter instead of a device. Most of the hardware already there. The issue is software. Handling every USB joystick out there is almost impossible.

Understood nitz, thank you for the quick reply. I was hopeful something already existed--I am always looking for CV and Atari replacements!

Hi there,
I'm just doing a little poll here.

I've been ask by a growing number of members that if I could build an opposite device; USB Joystick to DB9 compatible adapter.

That would enable current gaming joysticks/pads to work with original hardware like ATARI, C64, AMIGA machines.

Just write in this tread if you would be great.gifin or outthumbdown.gif for a product like this.

Thanks!! cool.gif

That firmware sees a 7800 controller as a two button controller for me in Windows 7. That makes it work with one button games but only with the left button which is fine by me. It's a good compromise.

@HammR25

You'll be my beta tester, since I don't have a 7800 joystick handy.

See: http://www.retronicdesign.com/en/beta-release-for-atari-7800-joystick-adapter-firmware/

If you want to have both button mapped as button 1, just put back the original firmware. You'll have an Atari 2600 kind of port.

That firmware sees a 7800 controller as a two button controller for me in Windows 7. That makes it work with one button games but only with the left button which is fine by me. It's a good compromise.