IGNORED

Atari 5200 2 port issue.

Shinju

Hey all!

I got a killer deal on 2 5200 systems a 2 and 4 port with 1 AV switch box, AC adaptor and 1 controller between the 2 systems for 20.00 (with other game stuff too).

Anyway I was told the 2 port was in working condition and the 4 port was for parts as they could not get it to fire up. So I figured I would try the 2 port first. I hooked it up with a F-switch the very same one i use for all of my other Atari, Coleco and Intellivision systems and I could not get it to boot a cart at all. I tried all 47 carts I own and not a single one would work. If you fire up the system with out a cart inserted you can see the CPU doing the lines on the screen, and if you put in a cart and power it up it will just post a black screen.

So I move on to the 4 port just to see if that one worked at all, so I hooked up ole Mr Sparky AV box and BAM the 4 port fired right up on all 47 games. So that is good news :).

Is the 2 port gone? Or can it be saved by going though and doing a deep cleaning of the mainboard and cartslot? I did use some of my NES cart cleaner (rubbing alcohol pretty much) on the cart slot and no dice.

Anyone else seen this issue? I had an Intellivision gen 1 that would not post either, it acted like it wanted to turn on and go but just showed a black screen of doom!

Thanks!

(Oh and I have 4 other controllers, NONE of the damn fire buttons work lol) I know there is a fix with a new flex board I might have to look into that.

Edited by Shinju

Good deal on the 5200!

You can try to clean the cart slot of course. It sounds like you might need a new video chip though.. GTIA is it? Could be ram also...

For the controllers, pop off the bezel around Start, Pause, Reset.

You can then take the controller apart, if your lucky and have a rev9 flex circuit clean the contact areas with a pink pencil eraser. Then use alcohol and a qtip.

You can then use a hole punch on aluminum foil and super glue the dots to the black carbon contacts on the buttons.

If done right it should last you a very long time. :) Post back if you need any help.

I have a 2 port that has a green screen

Acctually now that I think about it, when I did try it on my CRT it was dark green. The LED tv it was so dark (due to low rf voltage, common with retro consoles on newer tv's) it looked Black.

As far as the controller cleaning goes, I have 2 Green flex boards, 1 white and 1 unknown since I cannot get the 3 button bezzel off and it is different then the other 3.

Acctually now that I think about it, when I did try it on my CRT it was dark green. The LED tv it was so dark (due to low rf voltage, common with retro consoles on newer tv's) it looked Black.

As far as the controller cleaning goes, I have 2 Green flex boards, 1 white and 1 unknown since I cannot get the 3 button bezzel off and it is different then the other 3.

They have been different colors, blue, white, and green, problem is they could be almost any REV. The color doesn't matter. Although I've never seen anything but green REV9.

As long as the traces are metal, you should be able to gently clean them. The aluminum dots really work well with a clean flex.

Some flex had carbon traces, those aren't great and should be replaced. You can get new REV9, the most reliable flex, on ebay for $6 each.

So I got my new ram and bios in this evening and after replacing the old ram/bios I am still getting a green/brown screen, Here is a photo of the board with the replacement parts. Did I get the ram installed correctly? Also I noticed one of the larger chips had a prong that looked like it was left sticking out was this something that was done by atari?

According to the MB8118-12 spec sheet I have the ram chips in correctly so I am not sure what is going on with it.

Photos

Ram5200_zps796feaed.jpg

Bent_prong5200_zpsdb68379d.jpg

Edited by Shinju

It's probably time to dig in to the field service manual and follow the troubleshooting flowcharts, specifically section 4A-2. I wish I would have seen this topic before you ordered, I would have steered you there first :)

The lifted pin is trigger input 3 on the GTIA which isn't used on a 2-port version. I have no clue as to why it's like that but it makes me suspicious of the troubleshooting history it's been through before you got it.

The lifted pin is trigger input 3 on the GTIA which isn't used on a 2-port version. I have no clue as to why it's like that but it makes me suspicious of the troubleshooting history it's been through before you got it.

I think pretty much all 2port machine have that pin lifted.

Mitch

I am assuming there are service manuals on this site? I am pretty new here and I havent gone exploring yet so excuse my spoon feed noobness :)

Not to worried about spending 20 bucks on the ram and bios :) if anything if this unit is dead in the water I will have back up ram for my 2 4 ports.

One other thing I forgot to mention. When I fire it up sometimes a solid line appears on the screen and occasonally if the screen is green it will shift to brown if on for more then a few seconds.