Atari 5200 2 port issue.

31 replies to this topic

#26 zylon OFFLINE  

zylon

River Patroller

• 4,812 posts
  • 5200 HSC Mod

Posted Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:57 PM

Green shifting to brown is a common voltage regulator symptom. I'd still look into the ANTIC chip, the upper right of the 4 largest chips.

#27 Shinju OFFLINE  

Shinju

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 246 posts

Posted Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:37 AM

I started on some of that toubleshooting with the field manual, it appears some of those tests require a diag cart wich I do not have. Projects are fun! If I cannot get it working maybe I will farm it out to someone who had more repair skills then me!

Any takers?! :)

Like I said I have 2 working 4 ports just no 100% working controllers! lol I want to play some HERO, M-Revenge and Star Wars Arcade!

-j

#28 Shinju OFFLINE  

Shinju

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 246 posts

Posted Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:48 AM

Green shifting to brown is a common voltage regulator symptom. I'd still look into the ANTIC chip, the upper right of the 4 largest chips.

Maybe I will try to replace that as well, Anyone know were I can get a new ANTIC?

#29 ApolloBoy OFFLINE  

ApolloBoy

Quadrunner

• 5,319 posts

Posted Sun Dec 23, 2012 10:40 PM

Try checking the voltage regulators, those are much cheaper to replace than an ANTIC chip. You should be getting something close to 5V on the outputs of both regulators.

#30 Official Ninja OFFLINE  

Official Ninja

River Patroller

• 2,644 posts

Posted Mon Dec 24, 2012 7:35 AM

Maybe I will try to replace that as well, Anyone know were I can get a new ANTIC?

Best electronics would probably have it. You might consider asking in the 8 bit section. Since the 5200 / A8 share the same chips someone might have a spare antic to sell cheap. I got a GTIA chip for one of my 5200s that way.

#31 Greg2600 OFFLINE  

Greg2600

Stargunner

• 1,705 posts

Posted Mon Dec 24, 2012 10:52 AM

5200's are cheap enough to buy than to spend $ to have someone fix. My 2-port's colors aren't all that great anymore either, although they don't shift after being on awhile.

#32 Shinju OFFLINE  

Shinju

Chopper Commander

• Topic Starter
  • 246 posts

Posted Tue Jan 8, 2013 10:33 AM

5200's are cheap enough to buy than to spend $ to have someone fix. My 2-port's colors aren't all that great anymore either, although they don't shift after being on awhile.

But yours play's this one does not.

I also aquired an Atari 400 computer that is doing something very close to what my 2 port is doing. lol maybe I am cursed to not own the 8bit Atari family :)

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users