IGNORED

Colecovision with sprites issues with some games - Help wanted! Please!

My system (a modded one with A/V output, pause and a bios that allows me cut the Colecovision display) can't show sprites of some games.

I tested around 50 games and it doesn't show sprites for Jungle Hunt, Galaxian, Mousetrap, BC's Quest, Mountain King, Buck Rogers and Donkey Kong Jr. :_(

With some of these games I can see sprites in the very begining (1 or 2 seconds) and then zapt! they disappear and I see some minor glitches (thin lines) when they're getting invisible.

When I make many tests either with the same game or changing them the inicial sprites don't show anymore, not even for that 1 or 2 secs.

In Jungle Hunt I always can see the inicial Atari logo and it desappears very soon.

I noted some glitches with some games like Space Panic.

I used some tools in Atarimax, Vram test passes but I don't know if the tool knows exactly it is really ok or if I should look those patterns and compare with a working Coleco. This is my first and only Colecovision.

Note: Donkey Kong Jr. is the only game I have to test with a cartridge, all others I tested with the Atarimax SD.

Any help is appreciated.

P.S.: I don't do soldering or any major tech repair but I would find a good place to send my system and get it repaired.

Try a different power plug socket, my Coleco Vision does that on plugs upstairs, but in the basement it works great. ie.. Fire balls in Donkey Kong would vanish but still be in play, if there were at least three of them with Mario on the same level, but in the basement plugs, they just flicker.

• Like 1

Try a different power plug socket, my Coleco Vision does that on plugs upstairs, but in the basement it works great. ie.. Fire balls in Donkey Kong would vanish but still be in play, if there were at least three of them with Mario on the same level, but in the basement plugs, they just flicker.

I'm gonna try it tonight.

By the way, I have an expansion module #1 to play Atari games. I can't play any coleco game with the module attached. Is it ok? If not, it could be a signal of lack of power supply...

Good luck with the test... hope it is as simple as a faulty electrical outlet although that could signal a need for more expensive repairs to your electrical wiring in the house. Hopefully it just the outlet.

As far as the Atari Expansion Module #01... it completely takes over the ColecoVision console when attached and you can't play CV games again until you remove the EM #01.

• Like 1

Different plug same issues.

I'm yet to try ColecoHitman de-oxit spray in the slot.

Sad news.

Now my Coleco doesn't show the image of any game...

Most times I get a black screen with noise, not always.

Atarimax led blinks once and then no more life signal. :_(

EM#1 still works with Atari games...

January I'll send my system and see if it can be fixed.

If not, I'll get another Colecovision console.

• 1 year later...

Sad news.

Now my Coleco doesn't show the image of any game...

Most times I get a black screen with noise, not always.

Atarimax led blinks once and then no more life signal. icon_tears.gif

EM#1 still works with Atari games...

January I'll send my system and see if it can be fixed.

If not, I'll get another Colecovision console.

It's more than 12 months later.

I sent it to be fixed. Cartridge slot had to be replaced.

But it still have the same issues with sprites... :_(

Quest for the Golden Chalice is another game without sprites as many more I may discover. :(

Oh, well, time to spend more on another Coleco...

Could be the VDP or it could be a faulty Power Supply transformer. I'd look into acquiring another Power Supply from a trustworthy person (you know, someone here on AtariAge) and test things out before any further guessing on repairs. Even if it turns out to be something other than the Power Supply, you will then have a backup, which is becoming a necessity with the age of these items.

Try to acquire the Canadian two-wire CV Power Supply. They are built much better and have seemed to stand the test of time better than there U.S. counterparts.

• Like 1

I'm going to think and decide between sending the console again for repair or buying a new one.

In Brazil, the only current available in Mercado Livre goes for aprox. 450 USD (1.000 BRL).

To import a new console can also be very expensive and a little risky.

You could buy the stuff you need and get document how tos from this sight then you just have to find an electronics guy that would be willing to fix for you.

• Like 1

I'm going to think and decide between sending the console again for repair or buying a new one.

In Brazil, the only current available in Mercado Livre goes for aprox. 450 USD (1.000 BRL).

HOLY MOOLY!!!!! that is EXPENSIVE!! Trouble is, yo are not buying a new one, just another used one.

• Like 1

Try Santa Efigenia, in São Paulo, you might be able to find the VDP there, TMS9928.

• Like 1