Photo

What are your favorite things that came packed in with Atari video games?

controller joystick paddles

14 replies to this topic

#1 ave1 OFFLINE  

ave1

Dragonstomper

• 522 posts

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012 10:10 AM

So what's your favorite item that came packaged in with a video game? Is it the 2600 Omega Race Booster Grip or maybe the driving controller with Indy 500? Maybe you liked the Joyboard that came with Mogul Maniac. . . or coud it be that you liked the Atari 5200 controller coupler that came with Robotron 2084?

I spent quite a bit of time researching the great pack-ins of video gaming, so check out my NerdkO article and see if you agree with me on what I think is the greatest pack-in of all time...

http://n4g.com/news/....ed-with-a-game

Let's here about your favorite!

#2 Fixitguy74 OFFLINE  

Fixitguy74

Stargunner

• 1,092 posts
  • Nothing here to see, move along.

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012 10:22 AM

My Favorite pack in was the game itself. :D :P

#3 Master Phruby OFFLINE  

Master Phruby

Quadrunner

• 9,832 posts

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012 10:49 AM

I like the touch pad that came with the 2600 version of Star Raiders. I also like all the crap that came with Infocom games or the cloth map that came with one of the Ultima games.

#4 5-11under OFFLINE  

5-11under

River Patroller

• 3,399 posts

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012 11:34 AM

The instructions for Activision games.

#5 Red 5 OFFLINE  

Red 5

Tunnel Runner

• 4,396 posts
  • In a maze of twisty passages - all alike

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012 12:13 PM

Omega Race booster grip, the T-Shirt with MASH

(The cool AtariAge swag that comes with homebrews and especially the 5200's Adventure 2 stuff)

#6 Gorfy OFFLINE  

Gorfy

River Patroller

• 3,170 posts

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012 12:37 PM

good article -- that steel battalion is ridiculous!!

#7 Lord Helmet OFFLINE  

Lord Helmet

Don't forget your helmet!

• 10,009 posts

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012 4:15 PM

I always looked forward to checking out the catalog to see what new games were coming.

#8 kennetzel OFFLINE  

kennetzel

Chopper Commander

• 210 posts

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012 4:40 PM

Didn't Superman come packed with a wallet once? I seem to remember that...having the wallet around the time I got the game.

#9 cvga OFFLINE  

cvga

River Patroller

• 4,554 posts

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012 8:26 PM

I think the zorkmid packaged with the Zork Trilogy was a great pack-in. For the Atari 2600 I really like the extra sheet that Data Age placed with some of their games whether it was info about the Bermuda Triangle or about Frankenstein.

#10 Torr OFFLINE  

Torr

Stargunner

• 1,079 posts

Posted Thu Dec 6, 2012 9:56 PM

I like the touch pad that came with the 2600 version of Star Raiders. I also like all the crap that came with Infocom games or the cloth map that came with one of the Ultima games.

Me too.
As a kid I remember having it mounted over my head/above the TV on the desk in my room so I would have to reach over my head to hit the keys, something Han Solo often did while piloting the Falcon. Big Star Wars fan as a kid, and the touch pad made it FEEL more like piloting a spaceship to me.
I also remember getting rid of the overlay pretty quickly because I thought it made it look too much like a toy, maybe... I preferred a series of nondescript buttons, which also made it look like most Sci-Fi things I would watch a kid, plus with the overlay you had to REALLY push the buttons to make them depress.
I also remember wondering WHY did it have so many buttons? I actually didn't know about the keyboard controllers at all as a kid or (obviously) that the Video Touch Pad was just a remodeled one.
They were handy though, it gave me buttons I could press randomly without messing with the REAL controls to pretend I was activating tractor beams, increasing speed, powering up lasers or whatever I wanted to pretend to do. Ahh, childhood imagination and games that let you use your imagination while playing...

Edited by Torr, Thu Dec 6, 2012 10:01 PM.

• jhd likes this

#11 Unbeliever OFFLINE  

Unbeliever

Stargunner

• 1,483 posts
  • I don't believe in you....

Posted Fri Dec 7, 2012 1:47 PM

The booster grip was awesome..and I absolutely LOVED the Star Raiders touch pad. Made me feel like I was really "in charge" of the star ship's systems. Other than that, the comics that came with certain games and the game catalogs. Especially the first catalogs. Great stuff. :thumbsup:

#12 shadow460 OFFLINE  

shadow460

Gunslinger

• 16,599 posts
  • *bink* Good Shot

Posted Sat Dec 8, 2012 12:35 AM

The two thing I've gotten the most use from that came with a video game were the Starpath Supercharger and the T shirt that came with FF7 pre orders.

#13 sqoon OFFLINE  

sqoon

Stargunner

• 1,094 posts

Posted Sat Dec 8, 2012 1:49 PM

The console overlays that came with Space Shuttle were a nice touch. Still have mine.

#14 Lentzquest OFFLINE  

Lentzquest

Dragonstomper

• 519 posts

Posted Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:57 AM

I'm most fond of the Beamrider poster myself. The Yars' Revenge comic probably takes a close second.

#15 Bomberang OFFLINE  

Bomberang

Space Invader

• 16 posts

Posted Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:10 PM

I agree with Lord Helmet. I loved the catalogs. That's why it drives me a little nuts when someone on ebay lists a game as "complete in box" when it's missing the catalog!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: controller, joystick, paddles

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users