Photo

Commodore 64 vs Apple II

201 replies to this topic

#201 Grimakis OFFLINE  

Grimakis

Chopper Commander

• 195 posts

Posted Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:50 AM

Very subjective. I'm going to use the Apple //e Platinum as the comparison point, as it was the last true Apple II line, since the GS is really next gen.

Graphics - Commodore 64 wins hands down.

Sound - Commodore 64 wins again, but if you want to include the Mockingboard, it definitely becomes closer.

Price - Commodore was the king of cheap.

Durability - Likewise they were built cheap, the Apple is much more durable.

Expandability - Apple II line has internal expansion slots, so the edge goes here, although you could probably do similar expansions on the C64 with external peripherals.

Performance - Tie

BASIC Programming - AppleSoft BASIC is better than the Commodore BASIC on the 64. Just easier to use, especially to create graphics and access the DOS.

Gaming Library - C64 has more advanced games due to Graphics and Sound mentioned above.

Business Library - Apple II has 80-col support, most business software supported it, CP/M on Apple was good, bad on C64, so Apple wins.

Keyboard - Apple, no doubt, the C64 has one of the worst non-chiclet keyboards ever made.

Open-Architecture - Tie

Design / Appearance - Super subjective, but I prefer the Apple because the Computer, Drives, Monitors can all be stacked into a clean setup. The C64, has wires coming out the back and side, you really need a large desk or a special stand to allow the monitor/drives to live above the C64, otherwise it needs to be off to the side. 

Overall, I prefer the Apple II, it's just a bit more fun to collect for, and if I were to be using one for any serious applications back in the day, the Apple would have won out. The C64 is definitely more of a gaming machine, and if I wanted it as a game console I would have gotten a C64. Although to be honest, if I just wanted games I would have picked an NES!

#202 Nebulon OFFLINE  

Nebulon

Stargunner

• 1,930 posts

Posted Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:03 PM

Spent more time with the Apple IIe lately, and my opinions on the matter are pretty much the same (leaning a bit more in the Apple's favor now though):

Graphics - C64
Sound - C64
Price - C64
Durability - Apple IIe
Expandability - Apple IIe
Performance - For gaming it's the C64. For general use and business it's the Apple IIe.
BASIC Programming - Apple IIe
Gaming Library - Almost a tie. C64 edges the Apple out.
Business Library - Apple IIe
Keyboard - Apple IIe
Open-Architecture - Apple IIe
Design / Appearance - Apple II is nicer-looking than the breadbox but not as nice as the C64c.

Best over all? Can't say. Both are good. It's a shame that the traces to the disk drive got cut by accident on the C64. The drive speed's always been an issue with me.

Edited by Nebulon, Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:33 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users