IGNORED

New demoscene release for 2600

Sdw

Kind of reminds me of many of the Commodore 64 demos I saw in back in '89.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqC6a-6wJsM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqC6a-6wJsM

Dude #1: "These demos you guys make are amazing. When will you use these techniques to make actual Atari 2600 games?"

Demo Maker #420: "We don't make games. We make demos."

Dude #1: "But I thought demos were demonstrating tricks that will be used in future games?"

Demo Maker #420: [Whispering] "Dude, we make demos for people to watch at raves. We get the girls high, the demos put them in a trace, then we make bouncy bouncy with them. That's all these demos are for. Now be quiet before you spoil everything!"

:D

• Like 2

Javatari is great for trying all these demo ROMs. http://javatari.org

You can simply drag & drop the "download" links from the website right into the emulator. Very easy, I tried almost all of them!

Even if you are running the emulator from its webpage, simply drag the links from one page on the webbrowser into the other...

Regards

• Like 1

Here's the video of my entry. Not as fancy as the others but mine is only 128 bytes long...

http://youtu.be/WKn3IkPu6wE

In 128 bytes there is almost no room for data so all the graphics and "music" are just the code itself being displayed and/or played as the case may be. I was surprised as anyone by the emergent music that came out of a few simple lines of assembly.

For the programmers out there I saved space by combining overscan, vsync, and vblank into a single loop like this:

; OVERSCAN + VSYNC + VBLANK
; All in one
; assumes SP = 0
LDA #2
STA VBLANK
TSX
LDY #-30
BLANKLOOP
STA WSYNC
TYA
AND #%11111100
PHP ; NOTE this will give you 4 VSYNCs, not 3 but it doesn't seem to matter
TXS ; or PLA if you like
INY
CPY #40
BNE BLANKLOOP
STX VBLANK

drip.bin

• Like 3

Thanks for all the nice comments/feedback guys, I appreciate it.

Oh, and cool to see Ed Fries getting into the demoscene! :)

Are you doing that trick to double the rez?

Not sure what you mean here by double res trick?

If you are talking about the "temporal subpixel"-effect I used in an earlier demo (Sv2k11 invitro) then no, it isn't used in this demo.

Edited by Sdw

Hey, where can one go to get some sample plasma code?

Use the Stella debugger :)

More seriously, if you want to see how the actual code to one of these things look like then all of my releases include source code. See plasma.asm in Stella Lives (direct link to release with code), or eorplasma.asm in the SillyVenture 2k12 invitro (similar kernel, but with EOR instead of ADC, release+code).

• Like 2

Forgot to answer this one earlier...

Was the demo done in PAL to get better graphics or just because the televisions used in your area?

The PAL choice is primarily due to the fact that I live in PAL-land, have PAL 2600s and that most demoscene-interested people are in PAL-territory.

But yeah, another bonus is that you actually get quite a lot more processing time per frame compared to NTSC. I don't think it matters in this case though. Now I haven't checked it properly, but I think all of the stuff I do here could be done on NTSC timing as well.

why don't you code and assemble your demos for both major systems?

Making demos is quite a lot of work as it is. My demos could probably be ported for the most part, since I use EQUs for the line counts and music tempo. Some effects rely on there being enough time in VBLANK if I remember correctly. Anyway, it's more work than it's worth - I only ever ported Nyantari 2600, which turned out to get getter colors on NTSC.