Photo

Can a terminal program in Hatari work with telnet BBS?

atari st hatari socat serial rs232 telnet bbs emulator

7 replies to this topic

#1 Kirkman OFFLINE  

Kirkman

Star Raider

• 54 posts

Posted Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:23 AM

I asked a similar question on stackoverflow, but I figured I'd ask here as well.

I use the Hatari (Atari ST) emulator on a Mac. Since there are a number of Atari ST BBSes out there still today, I'd love to be able to connect to them using a VT-52 compatible Atari terminal program, like Freeze Dried Terminal, TAZ, or VanTerm.

But how can I get Hatari to work with telnet?

I see that Hatari offers RS232/serial emulation. The manual suggests writing Hatari RS232 input/output to a file like /dev/ttyS0.

And I found something called socat that lets you transfer data between various channels.

So: is there a way to make socat take a telnet session and pipe it into a file that can be read by Hatari's RS232 emulation?

Any ideas? I'm a unix novice, but I'd love to get this to work.

#2 theloon OFFLINE  

theloon

Quadrunner

• 7,956 posts

Posted Tue Dec 11, 2012 10:36 AM

I guess you could attach a real external (serial) modem and connect to a dial up Internet provider.

#3 Kirkman OFFLINE  

Kirkman

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 54 posts

Posted Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:12 PM

I guess you could attach a real external (serial) modem and connect to a dial up Internet provider.

I could back in the days when I had phone service, but I cancelled that last year after our house was affected by a tornado. Now we are internet only.

#4 Kirkman OFFLINE  

Kirkman

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 54 posts

Posted Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:07 PM

I did it! I was able to telnet to Dark Force BBS and play a VT-52 session of Space Empire Elite.

The key ingredients were Hatari, tcpser4j, and socat.

I wrote about how I got it work to work on my Break Into Chat blog here: http://breakintochat...ithin-emulator/

#5 Hatta OFFLINE  

Hatta

Stargunner

• 1,311 posts

Posted Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:07 AM

Very nice work. I wonder if the same approach would work for null modem games.

#6 Kirkman OFFLINE  

Kirkman

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 54 posts

Posted Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:14 PM

Very nice work. I wonder if the same approach would work for null modem games.

Probably so. You wouldn't need tcpser4j, I would imagine. Just socat to connect the virtual serial ports on whatever machines you're using.

#7 Hatta OFFLINE  

Hatta

Stargunner

• 1,311 posts

Posted Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:23 PM

Or another twist, perhaps you could use a real Atari plugged into a PC's serial port that is configured to forward over TCP.

I also wonder how much lag you can have on your internet connection and still maintain a serial connection.

#8 Kirkman OFFLINE  

Kirkman

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 54 posts

Posted Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:39 AM

Or another twist, perhaps you could use a real Atari plugged into a PC's serial port that is configured to forward over TCP.

I also wonder how much lag you can have on your internet connection and still maintain a serial connection.

Sure. You're still talking about a null-modem connection, right? Socat would let you do that.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: atari st, hatari, socat, serial, rs232, telnet, bbs, emulator

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users