Photo

D.K. VCS

864 replies to this topic

#526 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 17,845 posts

Posted Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:27 AM

How is progress so far? Gameplay is excellent IMO. Not too hard; not too easy. I'd like to demonstrate the hammer bug for a moment: Basically if you get hit from behind while wielding the hammer it crashes the game.

Has this been resolved yet?

I'll probably do a full playthrough later.

Edited by stardust4ever, Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:30 AM.

#527 DZ-Jay ONLINE  

DZ-Jay

Quadrunner

• 11,269 posts
  • The P-Machinery AGE is almost here!

Posted Tue Oct 29, 2013 4:25 AM

Well, I left the thread for a few weeks and it went hither dither in all sorts of directions! Wow, talk about derailing a thread...

Anyhoo. I just saw the latest videos of the game, and I must say that I am absolutely impressed. It's hard for me to believe that this is coming from a VCS (not that I doubt it).

Personally, I'm hard planted in the Intellivision camp (sorry, my parents are at fault for picking the console that would fuel my nostalgic pangs in later life), but I would consider purchasing a VCS just to play this game.

Joe, I've been following this project since you started, and I have been blown away at every step of the way. If you ever plan on publishing this game in cart (and I'm sure you will!), I'm definitely buying it.

Amazing!

Now you may continue talking about HDMI, the merits of larger ROM sizes, macho m4d Sk1llZ, the weather, or whatever esoteric topic this thread has picked up lately.

dZ.

#528 Joe Musashi OFFLINE  

Joe Musashi

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 309 posts

Posted Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:33 PM

How is progress so far? Gameplay is excellent IMO. Not too hard; not too easy. I'd like to demonstrate the hammer bug for a moment: Basically if you get hit from behind while wielding the hammer it crashes the game.

Has this been resolved yet?

Thanks for making the video! That bug has been fixed. I'm going to make another release once the hammer code is mostly complete. That shouldn't be too long.

Joe, I've been following this project since you started, and I have been blown away at every step of the way. If you ever plan on publishing this game in cart (and I'm sure you will!), I'm definitely buying it.

Amazing!

Thanks! Still needs more polish but there is light at the end of the tunnel :)

#529 Steril707 OFFLINE  

Steril707

Chopper Commander

• 176 posts

Posted Wed Nov 6, 2013 7:53 AM

OH MY GOD!

Just played this... 

The only thing I can say is:

WOW...

Incredible...

#530 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 17,845 posts

Posted Wed Nov 6, 2013 1:39 PM

Will this thing be coming to the AA store when all is said and done?

#531 Pixelboy OFFLINE  

Pixelboy

Quadrunner

• 8,015 posts

Posted Wed Nov 6, 2013 3:37 PM

Will this thing be coming to the AA store when all is said and done?

Considering what just happened with Princess Rescue, I somehow doubt it... :ponder:

#532 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 17,845 posts

Posted Wed Nov 6, 2013 6:46 PM

Between this and recent Classic Kong homebrew for SNES, I really really really want these made into carts. Playing the ROM on a flash cart like Harmony, Everdrive, or PowerPak just isn't the same as owning a physical copy.

#533 Joe Musashi OFFLINE  

Joe Musashi

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 309 posts

Posted Sun Nov 10, 2013 12:29 PM

Here comes the last update of the hammer code for now:

• New hammering music and sound effects.
  • Made it easier for Mario to catch the hammer.
  • Hammer behavior should be mostly correct now (e.g., action is frozen when the hammer hits).
  • Fixed the crash bug that occured when Mario got hit by an enemy while holding the hammer.
  • Fixed unstable scan line count.

Next, I'll be working on fine tuning the gameplay (collision, jump distance, etc.). If there is some memory left after that, maybe we can get multiple hammers per stage.

Insert coin ! :)

Attached Files

#534 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 17,845 posts

Posted Sun Nov 10, 2013 3:42 PM

Thanks for the update mate! :-D

#535 YANDMAN OFFLINE  

YANDMAN

Dragonstomper

• 514 posts

Posted Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:24 AM

I dont know why i didnt share these pics before, Joe was kind enough to allow me to make a custom of this game, it is the earlier version without the hammer but i simply had to play this on my original hardware, This game is stupendously good and i look for ward to either buying or making another with the full version, Anyways here is my cart i made :)

IMAG2188.jpg IMAG2189.jpg

#536 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 17,845 posts

Posted Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:17 PM

Ooooh, a prototype with an actual box; that is something you don't see every day. :thumbsup:

#537 YANDMAN OFFLINE  

YANDMAN

Dragonstomper

• 514 posts

Posted Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:44 AM

I had to have it, Im blown away by this game every time i turn it on, I just played the latest version and its incredible, This is actually my favourite incarnation of the game to date, With it being easier its so much more playable and fun..Goooooooooooooooooooooo Joe hes doing something incredible here 

#538 Godzilla OFFLINE  

Godzilla

Quadrunner

• 6,794 posts

Posted Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:19 PM

what happened with princess rescue? and yes can't wait to see this on cart! I think honkey dong is a great name :) lol

#539 atarilovesyou OFFLINE  

atarilovesyou

River Patroller

• 2,465 posts

Posted Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:45 PM

Between this and recent Classic Kong homebrew for SNES, I really really really want these made into carts. Playing the ROM on a flash cart like Harmony, Everdrive, or PowerPak just isn't the same as owning a physical copy.

Powerpak is great (have one) and Harmony is also great (have one) and Colecomax (have one) BUT...as you astutely noted:

It's never like popping in the actual cart and playing!  There are SO many purely awesome homebrews out there, do yourself a favour and get em' from the AA Store.  You never know when they're gonna run out, and they're just too cool to pass up.  And priced very reasonably.  I'll be picking this one up when it sees the light of day!

#540 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 17,845 posts

Posted Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:26 AM

It's never like popping in the actual cart and playing!  There are SO many purely awesome homebrews out there, do yourself a favour and get em' from the AA Store.

I plan on doing this!

Shut_up_and_take_my_money_RE_Gues_what_t

#541 aceha1 OFFLINE  

aceha1

Space Invader

• 27 posts

Posted Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:15 PM

Simply amazing.

#542 dubxcube OFFLINE  

dubxcube

Chopper Commander

• 177 posts

Posted Fri Dec 6, 2013 4:28 PM

How is the progress of is one going? Any chance of doing a cart version. (Perhaps a bit more on the DL, so it doesn't get ceased and desisted)

#543 Shufflehound OFFLINE  

Shufflehound

Star Raider

• 56 posts

Posted Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:24 PM

The thing that's hard to reproduce on either the VCS or the POKEY equiped machines is the triangle wave form. That waveform is used in both Pac-man and Donkey Kong, and has a distinctive sound.

I don't know how it could be done on an Atari, but in general, a way to make triangle waves out square waves would be to have two square-waves slightly out of phase.

Attached Thumbnails

• afasfafs.png

#544 ZylonBane OFFLINE  

ZylonBane

River Patroller

• 3,956 posts

Posted Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:43 PM

TIA has a distortion setting that's vaguely triangle-sounding, but the pitch resolution really sucks in the high frequencies, so it's mostly only suitable for bass notes.

#545 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 17,845 posts

Posted Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:22 PM

NES has a decent triangle generator. And with a frequency range that drops all the way down to ~37Hz, it's perfect for driving bass lines in chip tune comps. I don't recommend doing this, but the other day I plugged my NES in my Fender guitar amp and booted Donkey Kong Original Edition (Pie Foundry) repro. Duuummmmmm-Dumm-Dumm-Dumm, Dongadongadongadonga-Duummmm. Dang, that bassy intro music is epic, to say nothing of the running/jumping effects! Maybe I should plug in my MOON8 (Pink Floyd DSOTM tribute cart by Brad Smith) into the guitar amp and jam it at max volume! :D

#546 Classic Pac OFFLINE  

Classic Pac

River Patroller

• 3,373 posts

Posted Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:58 AM

I am so impressed, the game is simply amazing and on the 2600 no less. Simply incredible!!!

#547 yell0w_lantern OFFLINE  

yell0w_lantern

Dragonstomper

• 631 posts
  • Miki is Back!

Posted Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:56 PM

Yes, it is absolutely unbelievable.  I never thought the old girl could handle such a faithful version of Donkey Kong.  You, sir, have done done the impossible.

#548 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 17,845 posts

Posted Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:11 AM

Yes, it is absolutely unbelievable.  I never thought the old girl could handle such a faithful version of Donkey Kong.  You, sir, have done done the impossible.

Come on, Stella's not old, in fact she's just now hitting her prime! :grin:

#549 dubxcube OFFLINE  

dubxcube

Chopper Commander

• 177 posts

Posted Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:51 AM

Must. Have. CIB.

#550 ZylonBane OFFLINE  

ZylonBane

River Patroller

• 3,956 posts

Posted Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:55 PM

NES has a decent triangle generator. And with a frequency range that drops all the way down to ~37Hz, it's perfect for driving bass lines in chip tune comps.

Uh, yes, we know. That's why the discussion was about how to make TIA sound like an NES. Nobody needs any help making an NES sound like an NES.

Yes, it is absolutely unbelievable.  I never thought the old girl could handle such a faithful version of Donkey Kong.

Impressive, yes. But faithful? The flat ramps on the first screen says no. That's something that literally every other console port of DK has managed to get right.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users