Photo

D.K. VCS

868 replies to this topic

#76 LS_Dracon OFFLINE  

LS_Dracon

Dragonstomper

• 769 posts

Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:41 AM

Sloped girders is a much needed as it is part of the game design. :)
I agree that looks worse because the single color, anyway it's only on first screen, you can use multi colored girders on others stages. I don't recomend to flicker the PF, I tryed and looks realy bad.
For better looking, the horizontal girders on first screen need to be single colored too.

It's my suggestion, if you don't mind :

DK2600Girders2.GIF

Edited by LS_Dracon, Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:45 AM.

#77 sqoon OFFLINE  

sqoon

Stargunner

• 1,094 posts

Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:26 PM

Well, the recent Wii/3DS version with the pie factory is out there too... and is about as legal.

Nothing illegal about the DK Pie Factory game ROM. Nintendo programmed it for release on virtual console.

#78 raindog OFFLINE  

raindog

Stargunner

• 1,717 posts

Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:08 PM

Nothing illegal about the DK Pie Factory game ROM. Nintendo programmed it for release on virtual console.

Ripping the ROM out of the Wii game and passing it around the Internet is, though, and people have done that. That's what I meant by "out there".

Edited by raindog, Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:09 PM.

#79 sqoon OFFLINE  

sqoon

Stargunner

• 1,094 posts

Posted Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:43 PM

Funny thing though is that Nintendo has to know about Retrozone and nothing has been said.

#80 Raygunn OFFLINE  

Raygunn

Space Invader

• 34 posts

Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013 1:58 PM

OK, OK I had to do this...

Attached Thumbnails

• b_DonkeyKong_VCS front.jpg
  • b_DonkeyKong_VCS_back.jpg
  • poster_donkey_kong VCS.jpg
  • c_DonkeyKong VCS_cart front.jpg
  • c_DonkeyKong_Coleco_front.jpg
  • c_DonkeyKong_VCS cart end.jpg

#81 Joe Musashi OFFLINE  

Joe Musashi

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 310 posts

Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:56 PM

Very cool :thumbsup:

BTW, the font that I used to make the VCS logo can be found here (MumboSSK).

#82 Joe Musashi OFFLINE  

Joe Musashi

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 310 posts

Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:15 PM

The atari 8-bit version uses fractional positioning too:

00A0 = 0001	 ptxl	ds	 1			 ; fractional jumpman X position
00A1 = 0001	 ptxh	ds	 1			 ; integer jumpman X position
00A2 = 0001	 ptyl	ds	 1			 ; fractional jumpman Y position
00A3 = 0001	 ptyh	ds	 1			 ; integer jumpman Y position

See http://www.atariage....y kong source for the source.

Thanks for digging that out! It should be particularly helpful for designing the enemy AI.

I checked with MAME and it seems that the horizontal jump speed of the original is one pixel every two frames (or 0.5 pixel/frame on average). That's easy to implement. Unfortunately, the arcade version has square pixels, and this then translates to one pixel every four frames for rectangular pixels on the VCS. I tried that and it results in the correct jump distance, but it looks horrible. Like Mario is shivering when jumping.

Before I do that I will first see if I can cheat and instead of decreasing the horizontal speed try making the vertical movement faster or less high. Just so that Mario cannot jump over the elevator gaps.

#83 Joe Musashi OFFLINE  

Joe Musashi

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 310 posts

Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013 4:28 PM

Sloped girders is a much needed as it is part of the game design. :)
I agree that looks worse because the single color, anyway it's only on first screen, you can use multi colored girders on others stages. I don't recomend to flicker the PF, I tryed and looks realy bad.
For better looking, the horizontal girders on first screen need to be single colored too.

It's my suggestion, if you don't mind :

DK2600Girders2.GIF

Very nice! It's a bit too optimistic for my kernel, though. The best I could probably do would be:

DK_Test_1.png DK_Test_2.png

That came out better than I thought. I might try it at some point to see how it looks. But it's very inconsistent with the style of the other levels. Compared to the other levels, for me it feels sort of like going from the Centipede title screen to the game screen :)

#84 LS_Dracon OFFLINE  

LS_Dracon

Dragonstomper

• 769 posts

Posted Mon Jan 21, 2013 5:52 PM

Very nice! It's a bit too optimistic for my kernel, though. The best I could probably do would be:

DK_Test_1.png DK_Test_2.png

That came out better than I thought. I might try it at some point to see how it looks. But it's very inconsistent with the style of the other levels. Compared to the other levels, for me it feels sort of like going from the Centipede title screen to the game screen :)

Looks good enough!
Perhaps make all levels with single colored girders. You always loose things when design a game for atari 2600. The sprites, new levels, title and intermission screens will worth the remake. :)

#85 Omegamatrix OFFLINE  

Omegamatrix

Quadrunner

• 6,215 posts

Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:01 AM

The sloped girders look sweet! If you got rom space you might consider writing some individual kernels to switch the PF color mid line and get the ladder all white. If not, perhaps you could improvise by making those ladders "broken" by missing a few rungs. I don't remember off hand what ladders were broken in the arcade version, as I just grew up with the Colecovision version of DK.

Great progress here! :)
Jeff

#86 Csonicgo OFFLINE  

Csonicgo

River Patroller

• 2,794 posts
  • OPL Goddess

Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:13 AM

The sloped girders look sweet! If you got rom space you might consider writing some individual kernels to switch the PF color mid line and get the ladder all white. If not, perhaps you could improvise by making those ladders "broken" by missing a few rungs. I don't remember off hand what ladders were broken in the arcade version, as I just grew up with the Colecovision version of DK.

Great progress here! :)
Jeff

It might be my shoddy memory, but I remember the "broken" latter positions changing from game to game.

Also, when the barrels are coded in, this really will take off. that was the most fun part about the first level... well, that and the hammer!

#87 atarilovesyou OFFLINE  

atarilovesyou

River Patroller

• 2,501 posts

Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:24 AM

What a great looking game so far...keep it up!

#88 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 18,138 posts

Posted Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:50 AM

OK, OK I had to do this...

Those box screenshots were definitely false advertising, unless you Photo Shopped/ GIMPed them. I always thought the girders in Coleco VCS DK looked like roach poop. Why couldn't they have been red like in the Arcade? And maybe they could have made the graphics a little better and possibly added an extra stage had they not totally cheaped out and insisted on placing it on a 2k ROM.If the final game turns out half as good as Pacman 4k, I will be a happy camper. Of course, until that day comes, I can always pop in my "DK Pie Foundry" RetroUSB cart into the NES for a more arcade-like gameplay experience. :P

#89 xybot67 ONLINE  

xybot67

Moonsweeper

• 297 posts

Posted Fri Feb 1, 2013 12:13 PM

I realize that I am a pain, but "Bump!". Any new progress to report?

#90 Joe Musashi OFFLINE  

Joe Musashi

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 310 posts

Posted Fri Feb 1, 2013 2:26 PM

There is, but "Tease!" :)

#91 xybot67 ONLINE  

xybot67

Moonsweeper

• 297 posts

Posted Fri Feb 1, 2013 11:21 PM

There is, but "Tease!" :)

Hey, I'm just happy that its not turning into vapoware! I look forward to seeing what you have done.

#92 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 18,138 posts

Posted Sat Feb 2, 2013 12:48 AM

Take your time, but new screenshots, demo ROMs, etc would be appreciated...

#93 BalloonFighter OFFLINE  

BalloonFighter

Chopper Commander

• 194 posts
  • Hey, that's mildly adequate!

Posted Sun Feb 3, 2013 2:49 PM

This is just amazing! Even if it's not completed yet, it still blows me away. Best of all, Kong doesn't look like the Gingerbread Man :lol: . Can't wait for the finished game. Keep up the great work! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

#94 Kosmic Stardust OFFLINE  

Kosmic Stardust

Princess Rescuer

• 18,138 posts

Posted Sun Feb 3, 2013 4:08 PM

Best of all, Kong doesn't look like the Gingerbread Man :lol:

The original VCS DK never looked like a gingerbread man. Actually he looked more like Poo-Poo Man! :rolling:

I'm sure this new game will be a vast improvement, much like Pacman 4k is a vast improvement over the original VCS game.

#95 BalloonFighter OFFLINE  

BalloonFighter

Chopper Commander

• 194 posts
  • Hey, that's mildly adequate!

Posted Sun Feb 3, 2013 5:18 PM

I think DK looks more like poo (or a weird brown smiling frog, whichever one you see first) in the original Coleco Intellivision port of Donkey Kong. Thankfully though, like this cool VCS homebrew, someone decided to not let retro gamers play that junky INTV port and made DK and D2K Arcade.

Edited by BalloonFighter, Mon Feb 4, 2013 12:57 PM.

#96 Joe Musashi OFFLINE  

Joe Musashi

Moonsweeper

• Topic Starter
  • 310 posts

Posted Mon Feb 4, 2013 4:51 PM

To celebrate over one hundred downloads of the last version, here comes another update.
The game is still very easy, but this time you have to work if you want to see the ending sequence. :twisted:

Changes include:
  • Small fixes in the Mario and Kong animations.
  • Non-flickering dots in the game over screen.
  • No more flickering dots in the ending sequence (another crazy RES banging kernel that can display 28 dots per row).
  • Moving conveyor belts in the 50 m stage. Speeds are fixed for now.
  • The 100 m stage now features removable rivets.
  • A new 75 m stage.
The new stage is experimental and has been designed to work within the limits of the current engine. Obviously there is no support for moving elevators, but there are also no platforms in the middle of corridors, no ladders of varying size, and no support for more than four gaps per floor. Also the stage should be one floor higher. I will definitely implement the elevators, the rest will depend on the available resources.

Spoiler

Enjoy!

Attached Files

#97 xybot67 ONLINE  

xybot67

Moonsweeper

• 297 posts

Posted Mon Feb 4, 2013 6:16 PM

Wow, this just keeps getting better and better! Great job

#98 Raygunn OFFLINE  

Raygunn

Space Invader

• 34 posts

Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013 2:45 PM

Here's the box and labels from the silver age-

dk vcs box copy.jpg donkey kong_Silver_back copy.jpg dk vcs cart.jpg donkey kong Silver_end copy.jpg

#99 dr. kwack OFFLINE  

dr. kwack

Moonsweeper

• 383 posts

Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013 3:42 PM

This is the most amazing thing I have ever seen on a VCS. Dude, I am going to open a church to you. All may come and hurl their Coleco DK's into the pit of fire. We shall all dance as when we were young when our parents took us to KB toys or Children's Palace. And all shall say "Huzzah! The Kong is 'just like the real arcade game'! Suck it, oh snotty rich kid down the street with a ColecoVision!"

This is fantastic- seriously. How cool.

#100 tep392 OFFLINE  

tep392

River Patroller

• 3,096 posts

Posted Tue Feb 5, 2013 6:01 PM

Amazing work! Simply amazing!

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users