Kill the Lynx

122 replies to this topic

#101 MrBland OFFLINE  

MrBland

Dragonstomper

• 526 posts
  • 474|2!

Posted Sat May 4, 2013 9:06 AM

I have finished my experiments and I am satisfied that the carts work.

#102 108 Stars OFFLINE  

108 Stars

Stargunner

• 1,823 posts

Posted Sat May 4, 2013 9:26 AM

The Lynx is only killed with this card if you insert it, let the countdown reach zero and then let your Lynx fall out of the window from the second floor.

#103 Emehr OFFLINE  

Emehr

River Patroller

• 3,780 posts
  • Happiness is... a chomping Pac-Man!

Posted Sat May 4, 2013 9:30 AM

Well that was fun. I wonder how candle's project is coming along...

#104 Der Luchs OFFLINE  

Der Luchs

Dragonstomper

• 550 posts

Posted Sat May 4, 2013 9:33 AM

Or: Hammer Time!

#105 GadgetUK ONLINE  

GadgetUK

Stargunner

• 1,417 posts

Posted Sat May 4, 2013 10:22 AM

Lol, yes I think it's all crap. Unless you leave that green screen on for a few minutes, maybe that kills Suzi. It's also possible that later revisions on Lynx 1 Suzi were fixed, so it may be OK on some Lynx 1's and not on others.

I prefer to not run this lol, despite my personal opinion that its just a prank.

Nice cart though, thanks Rygar!

#106 BenjaminStevens OFFLINE  

BenjaminStevens

Star Raider

• 84 posts

Posted Mon May 6, 2013 8:50 AM

BTW, I am assuming rygar made this.
He is obsessed with the Lynx and has basic coding skills. I can't imagine anyone else wasting the time for such an elaborate prank on such a tiny fanbase.
Also the broken English sounds like him, and he told us this program killed his Lynx. ;)

Imo all points to rygar.^^

You are not the only person who concludes that rygar is the source of this prank. I am willing to bet that he was also the one who made the new account just to post the file anonymously. It sure seems like more than a coincidence that he was very soon following the thread as the only person who both had access to the file that had been removed and who was also claiming that the program "worked."

Well, at least each person who purchased a cart from him can claim that they have one of a very limited number of prank carts made by the prankster.

#107 karri OFFLINE  

karri

Stargunner

• 1,462 posts

Posted Tue May 7, 2013 1:37 AM

Disclaimer:

NO LYNXES WERE HARMED DURING THE MAKING OF THIS PRANK. THE CAT GOT SICK AND SOMEBODY SHOT A DUCK BUT THAT'S ABOUT IT.

#108 stardust4ever OFFLINE  

stardust4ever

River Patroller

• 3,625 posts

Posted Tue May 7, 2013 3:07 AM

I have a dead Lynx; maybe this program will bring it back to life?

I'm calling BS on this one. The only brickable consoles are those with updatable firmware, meaning Nintendo DS and later consoles can actually be bricked by homebrew. The vast majority of vintage consoles and computers cannot be bricked do to the fact that (A) there is no firmware, or (B) it is stored in a mask ROM that cannot be erased.

That said, it would certainly be possible for an improperly wired cartridge to damage a console. One way of doing it would be to use the mapper chip on an NES cartridge in an unorthodox manner, for example instead of triggering a bank swap, the mapper chip could instead initiate a "device" that sends a lethal dose of electricity to the CPU. One very effective way of doing this would be to include a super capacitor and charging circuit similar to the flash circuit inside a camera. A shunt resistor is used in series with the charging circuit so that the cartrige does not pull too much current from the NES. Please note this means the device will take longer to do damage. The camera circuit works by slowly charging a capacitor up to a few hundred volts, then you close a switch and it is instantly discharged harmlessly through the flash lens. This would be an excellent starter circuit to destroy something. The mapper chip could activate a 5V relay that would discharge the super capacitor directly into the NES VCC, essentially nuking the entire system with 200+ volts of energy! Every chip in the console will smoke/pop simultaneously! Or, instead of nuking the NES with an electircal spike (which would also nuke the "death" cartridge), you could make a self-destruct cartridge with a Mission Impossible style countdown, "This cart will self destruct in 5 seconds". The capacitor is wired up to a light bulb filament, which is used to detonate an explosive device inside the cartridge. Both cartridge and NES go out with a bang... :mad:

Edited by stardust4ever, Tue May 7, 2013 3:14 AM.

#109 Atari_afternoon OFFLINE  

Atari_afternoon

Moonsweeper

• 475 posts

Posted Tue May 7, 2013 4:15 AM

Oh the recent developments make me actually sad that I did not download this particular piece of homebrew when it was up ;)

#110 GadgetUK ONLINE  

GadgetUK

Stargunner

• 1,417 posts

Posted Tue May 7, 2013 4:39 AM

I will dump it to ROM later for you.

#111 Fadest OFFLINE  

Fadest

Moonsweeper

• 428 posts

Posted Tue May 7, 2013 5:33 AM

You can find the ROM somewhere here :
http://www.yaronet.c...=0&s=155601&p=1

Please note that the deblistering of Toki has nothing to do with this cartridge, it was just a joke during AC to give heart attack to blister integrist collectors...

If you can read french, you will see that it seems that handy detection use same method than me (but I have nothing to do with this rom), il you press P(ause) during execution on Handy, you will get a text message saying that it has not been flashed on appropriate PCB, instead of saying it is an emulator...

#112 BenjaminStevens OFFLINE  

BenjaminStevens

Star Raider

• 84 posts

Posted Tue May 7, 2013 7:31 AM

You can find the ROM somewhere here :
http://www.yaronet.c...=0&s=155601&p=1

Hey... I checked out that site and noticed that somebody found a YouTube video showing a fool-proof way to kill a PSP, and one doesn't even have to have a special cartridge or program to do it!

I am sure that this method would also work on a Lynx I or Lynx II:

http://www.youtube.c...v=yhBM_Yqkack#!

Edited by BenjaminStevens, Tue May 7, 2013 7:32 AM.

#113 Atari_afternoon OFFLINE  

Atari_afternoon

Moonsweeper

• 475 posts

Posted Tue May 7, 2013 9:08 AM

Thank you, GadgetUK, buit I have found it already on rygar´s link. Just look for the line "
Posted Image Fichier joint : Death Cartridge [1999-pxv].lnx".
Merci !

Edited by Atari_afternoon, Tue May 7, 2013 9:09 AM.

#114 stardust4ever OFFLINE  

stardust4ever

River Patroller

• 3,625 posts

Posted Tue May 7, 2013 11:59 AM

Guys, there are pleanty of ways to kill a console. Blunt force trauma seems to be the most popular, but there are dozens of creative ways to do it: you can also nuke it in a microwave, blend it, drown it, zap it with a tesla coil, etc...

Tesla coils as a delivery mechanism for ESD would be pretty entertaining btw. IMO, it's probably best to wrap your games collection in tinfoil when you're not using them. Steel foot lockers or metal ammunition crates will also work. This creates a faraday cage which will largely protect it from EMP or nuclear detonations. But if atom bombs are being detonated in your back yard, you've got bigger things to concern yourself with than playing video games!

#115 rygar OFFLINE  

rygar

Chopper Commander

• 208 posts

Posted Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:07 AM

I forgot give explanations about this cartridge.

Obviously it was a joke.
If you buy a cartridge Death lynx (that's not work with the rom I posted) and you expect that the counter reaches zero, then a message appears, prompting you to send your postal address on my email in order to win a gift .

Unfortunately, I did not sell many cartridges but I'm happy because at least one person discovered the trick. Mr Bland.

I wanted to give him a 2M cartridge made with the Slideshow Creator of Bjoern but the manufacture of this cartridge is complicated.

So he will get another batch of compensation.

Sorry for that joke but I found it amusing :)

EDIT the contest is finish ;)

Edited by rygar, Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:08 AM.

#116 GadgetUK ONLINE  

GadgetUK

Stargunner

• 1,417 posts

Posted Tue Oct 14, 2014 6:34 AM

Very clever =)  Well done Mr Bland!  Interesting test in physcology there - Apparently most of us were to scared to leave it running lol.  I suspected it wasn't possible, but there's always that thing running through your mind that maybe there was a hardware bug found etc.

#117 sage OFFLINE  

sage

Dragonstomper

• 584 posts

Posted Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:06 AM

Did you know that you can kill your Lynx by putting it into a microwave?

#118 vince OFFLINE  

vince

Star Raider

• 65 posts

Posted Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:24 AM

That is not systematic. I can place my Lynx II (not even tried with the first model) with the steel talons 's cartridge without killing the console !

PS : with NiMh batteries

Edited by vince, Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:25 AM.

#119 sage OFFLINE  

sage

Dragonstomper

• 584 posts

Posted Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:30 AM

Yes, but did you turn it on?

#120 vince OFFLINE  

vince

Star Raider

• 65 posts

Posted Tue Oct 14, 2014 11:31 AM

Off course not ! :)

#121 travistouchdown OFFLINE  

travistouchdown

Dragonstomper

• 757 posts
  • Do the math!

Posted Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:01 PM

Well this thread was a fun read...

Unfortunately what actually killed the Lynx was a simple, cheap, black and white device known as the "game boy"

#122 rygar OFFLINE  

rygar

Chopper Commander

• 208 posts

Posted Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:25 PM

Well this thread was a fun read...

Unfortunately what actually killed the Lynx was a simple, cheap, black and white device known as the "game boy"

:rolling:

#123 MrBland OFFLINE  

MrBland

Dragonstomper

• 526 posts
  • 474|2!

Posted Wed Oct 15, 2014 12:54 PM

Well since the cat is out of the bag, here is a video of the experience for those who are curious.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users