Photo

Hitting Enter in reply box....

13 replies to this topic

#1 Official Ninja OFFLINE  

Official Ninja

River Patroller

• 2,429 posts

Posted Tue Jan 1, 2013 4:22 PM

I'm using Internet Explorer included with Windows 8, Metro and Desktop version.... Why can't I hit ENTER to type on a new line? Like right now, it is just one run-on line of text because when I hit ENTER it doesn't do anything. :)

Edited by Official Ninja, Tue Jan 1, 2013 4:23 PM.

#2 Albert OFFLINE  

Albert

Greetings, Avatar!

• 29,790 posts

Posted Tue Jan 1, 2013 4:29 PM

I don't have Windows 8, so I cannot attempt to duplicate this on my end. Can someone else with Windows 8 test Internet Explorer to see if you have the same issue? I did a search on Invision's support forum and I haven't found anything relevant yet.

..Al

#3 atarilovesyou OFFLINE  

atarilovesyou

Stargunner

• 1,540 posts

Posted Tue Jan 1, 2013 4:41 PM

I used to have issues with replies on the forum, turns out it was because I was using Explorer 8 (or whatever the last one was). Now I use Firefox and all works as it should. Not sure if this helps, but I feel your pain!

#4 Official Ninja OFFLINE  

Official Ninja

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,429 posts

Posted Tue Jan 1, 2013 4:47 PM

Testing this with Opera in XP

And yes, I can hit enter for a new line....

going to switch to IE in XP now...

#5 Official Ninja OFFLINE  

Official Ninja

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,429 posts

Posted Tue Jan 1, 2013 4:49 PM

IE8 in XP

Works...

So I guess it is IE 10 that is the issue.

#6 Official Ninja OFFLINE  

Official Ninja

River Patroller

• Topic Starter
  • 2,429 posts

Posted Tue Jan 1, 2013 4:53 PM

Chrome in Windows 8...

So yeah, IE10 issue.

#7 SeaGtGruff OFFLINE  

SeaGtGruff

Quadrunner

• 5,360 posts

Posted Tue Jan 1, 2013 5:52 PM

Yes, it happens in IE10 in Win8. It was mentioned in the Windows 8 thread.

#8 Albert OFFLINE  

Albert

Greetings, Avatar!

• 29,790 posts

Posted Tue Jan 1, 2013 6:17 PM

I missed this in the Windows 8 thread, which I have been paying some attention to. I wonder what Microsoft changed in IE10 to break what is an editor used by many thousands of forums. And not just Invision forums--this is a third-party editor used by other software as well. Genius!

..Al

#9 SeaGtGruff OFFLINE  

SeaGtGruff

Quadrunner

• 5,360 posts

Posted Tue Jan 1, 2013 8:31 PM

I missed this in the Windows 8 thread, which I have been paying some attention to. I wonder what Microsoft changed in IE10 to break what is an editor used by many thousands of forums.

It was only mentioned briefly in passing in that thread. I don't know what they changed in IE10 to break this, but I hope they eventually post a fix for it.

#10 Cebus Capucinis OFFLINE  

Cebus Capucinis

Jolly Retard

• 7,941 posts
  • Wiseass Extraordinaire

Posted Tue Jan 1, 2013 8:49 PM

They will eventually, it'll be called IE11......

....and it will be broken in other ways!

Ba-dump-tish!

#11 Albert OFFLINE  

Albert

Greetings, Avatar!

• 29,790 posts

Posted Tue Jan 1, 2013 8:53 PM

Yeah, I would use another browser--I can't say I'm terribly surprised that Microsoft finds innovative new ways to break the browsing experience. I've had to use Windows 7 the past week while playing some games (such as Torchlight 2) and it aggravates me to no end each time I need to interact with Windows for more than five minutes. Compared to OS X, it's just rubbish on so many levels.

..Al

#12 Cebus Capucinis OFFLINE  

Cebus Capucinis

Jolly Retard

• 7,941 posts
  • Wiseass Extraordinaire

Posted Tue Jan 1, 2013 9:05 PM

I just find it funny (though not "haha" funny) that Internet Explorer has almost consistently been the poorest browsing software available for years, at least since the alternatives past Netscape came out (which, honestly, even Netscape was a bit better in some areas). You'd think with Microsoft's juggernaut ability in the consumer world, they would have taken a couple hints from Firefox and Chrome and brought in some of the features they've always seemed to miss the bill on.

#13 wood_jl OFFLINE  

wood_jl

Quadrunner

• 6,054 posts

Posted Wed Jan 2, 2013 1:04 AM

I just find it funny (though not "haha" funny) that Internet Explorer has almost consistently been the poorest browsing software available for years....<snip!>

I agree completely!

I used to use IE - and pretty much for the sole reason that I was lazy, it was already there, and at least it worked, though it was miles behind Firefox. When I "upgraded" to IE7, I couldn't believe how SLOW it was. I'm serious! Everything I clicked on had a little delay, and it was extremely irritating. I can't remember now, but there were other things that bugged me. Very shortly thereafter, I switched to Firefox, and really like it. The plugins themselves are kick-ass!

Sadly, one has to wonder if Firefox's days are numbered. I think I read somewhere that most of Firefox's revenue is generated by the fact that they include Google as the default search provider, up in the search bar in the upper right corner of your screen - and the advertising revenue that it results in (however that works). Well, with the ever-increasing popularity of Chrome, one can necessarily fathom an end to the practicality of this arrangement. Furthermore - on Linux anyway - a partnership between Google and Adobe has resulted in the ceasing of development of the standalone Flash player, which works with Firefox. Everyone (raising hand) is using the old one. It's not too old yet, but it's inevitably going to be.

This agreement has resulted in an integration (I think) of the Flash player and Chrome. So, eventually, will likely have to switch to Chrome to maintain an updated (and allegedly secure?) Flash player on Linux. When I'm forced to switch browsers on Linux (to Chrome), I'm probably going to switch on WinBlows too, just to be consistent. It's too bad. I wonder if a Third Party Flash player will be whipped-up for Firefox on Linux one day, if Firefox is still around in this hypothetical future?

#14 littleman jack OFFLINE  

littleman jack

Stargunner

• 1,323 posts
  • One day I will build tube amps.

Posted Sat Jan 5, 2013 10:17 PM

I think Firefox will go on, for linux at least. Also, don't be too worried about flash on linux. Gnash is getting better on linux ( I watched you tube several times today using gnash with next to no problems), and the newer html and other methods of displaying video are making huge strides. The fact that Apple refused to include flash on their devices over the past few years is also accelerating the development of html and alternatives to flash. My only fear is that many of these will be just as unsecure as flash. I hope not, but there's no telling which way the hackers will lean.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users