IGNORED

why atari 2600?

jknu80sfan

AtariLeaf can blow me and you others can carry on with the original question

It sucks sometimes being the new guy/girl in the forum, but that kind of comment is no way to make friends. :roll:

Your original post was bound to generate responses like the ones above. Those are the brakes! :P

• Like 2

I get some assholes trying to act like I am bashing the product. You're missing the whole point.

And again, as a long time experienced member who has read the entire thread I am telling you nobody has acted like you are bashing the product, THAT IS HOW YOU have interpreted it maybe but all the answers are just peoples honest feelings. Sorry you're not seeing it, lol please do not tell me I am not "getting it" that would be you. I had most of the exact same thoughts in the majority of the answers given you. Chill.

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 1

So I am reading an old post on here about the list of beatable games and it got me wondering why we play Atari still. In a modern age where graphics and control are so important in gaming, how is it that we still get pleasure from playing this system? Most of these games do not offer us a purpose other than fun to play, We can play Yars Revenge for days without completing it and getting that all important final scene message. Is it nostalgia for most of us? Is it a way to hold on to the purity of our childhood? Is it the simplicity of most of the games?

For me it's a combination of all those factors. I love holding on to bits of my childhood and keeping it alive. I would hate to be one of those people who always changes with the times. I need to have my memories of childhood brought back to life in order to survive.

Beating a game can be like a final game over. It isn't always bad but if a game is exactly the same every time you play it then you aren't playing a game. You're playing an interactive movie and beating it is rolling the credits. It has less replay value than games based on score and especially games where you can roll the score indefinitely. Infinite alternate endings are greater than one static ending.

Score also offers more replay value than playing against the AI or multiple players in modern games. Those do have the benefits of competition and/or cooperation but lack the ability to play against the most challenging opponent of all, yourself. Competing against your personal best adds infinite replay value.

Graphics have always been important in gaming but a huge difference between retro gaming and modern gaming is an emphasis on realistic graphics combined with a story. That's another reason why modern games feel like interactive movies. I rather have good game play and colorful cartoony Lego like graphics. Which sounds more playful? A movie or a cartoon?

Control has also always been important. Atari is just more pick up and play. If you can write, flick a lighter, and turn a stereo knob then you have already mastered the 2600's controls before you have even held the controllers.

We still get pleasure from playing this system because good games are always good games. Video gaming is the only type of gaming where retro gaming is in the minority and considered obsolete. All popular sports are older than the VCS. The most popular board games of all time are still sold in stores. The most popular card games are older than Atari games. You would hear most modern video gamers call the VCS obsolete but you would never hear a modern sports fan say the same thing about football.

Fun to play is the most important purpose to playing a game and which is more rewarding? A final scene message or an Activision patch?

It is nostalgia and purity of our childhood but that applies to all gaming. People play games retro or not to escape from the seriousness of adulthood.

The games are simplistic but not simple. Saves, continues, cheat codes, guide books, and so forth can make a modern game more simple than rolling the score of an Atari game.

• Like 1

Ah, forums r funny...welcome, new dude. I get your question...my answer is, I've always liked old school games. That's about the short and uninteresting long of it, lol. But I also like the NES, another big system from my youth. And I had to stop after that, although I think a SNES would be a nice lil system to have...and a TurboDuo...ah, you see? That's why I stick to the big 3...lol.

It is the experiences we have as a child that mold us into who we are. To forsake them because you supposedly grow up is forgetting part of yourself. it made you, why forget it. My house is full of collectables besides the atari. People have accused me of hanging on to my youth. Accuse all you want, but that is all part of me. To reject any of it is rejecting me. If you truly love me as a husband, father or friend, then you love what I do and collect, for to think it stupid, you must think I am stupid, and therefore your feelings are a farce.

post-33914-0-82947300-1357633944_thumb.jpg

• Like 6

Yea I really appreciate having my wife telling me I got an email from this guy asking why I'm being a "fucking asshole". :-o

Really? A little harsh for some, I thought, inoffensive ribbing. :?

My response that seemed to have so offended the OP was done tongue in cheek and anyone who knows me here would know that. But thanks a lot for the PM brother. Stay classy. :roll:

Oh and don't PM me again

Edited by AtariLeaf
  • Like 5

The reason I like Atari games is that it doesn't take 300 hours to play the game. I can sit down for fifteen minutes, play and move on.

Like Kennetzel, my house is full of collectibles from my youth. It doesn't mean I have some stupid "Peter Pan syndrome" or not fit in with society's definition of a man? According to society/media, a man is suppose to be obsessed with watching millionaires bounce a ball down a court or hit a ball with bat. A man is suppose to be obsessed with his career and making money to where he never see's his wife and children. A man is suppose to be stupid, an alcoholic, obsessed with sex and have affairs with as many women as possible.

If that is what I'm suppose to be, I say screw the norm. I'd rather play Atari, love my wife and kids and be a good father.

• Like 7

The reason I like Atari games is that it doesn't take 300 hours to play the game. I can sit down for fifteen minutes, play and move on.

Like Kennetzel, my house is full of collectibles from my youth. It doesn't mean I have some stupid "Peter Pan syndrome" or not fit in with society's definition of a man? According to society/media, a man is suppose to be obsessed with watching millionaires bounce a ball down a court or hit a ball with bat. A man is suppose to be obsessed with his career and making money to where he never see's his wife and children. A man is suppose to be stupid, an alcoholic, obsessed with sex and have affairs with as many women as possible.

If that is what I'm suppose to be, I say screw the norm. I'd rather play Atari, love my wife and kids and be a good father.

Well said. :thumbsup:

My apologies to those I have said harsh things to. I thought i asked a fun question and did not like some of the snarky (my opinion) answers I got from some folks. Whether my question was misunderstood by some protecting their hobby is neither here nor there. I appreciate all the legitimate answers from others. I apologize to AtariLeaf personally and I would have sent a PM but i will respect that you asked me not to. I would just like to enjoy the information I get from this forum and maybe contribute a bit.

• Like 4

As the old quote says, "Classic video games are like life. They get faster and harder until you die." The goal of the old arcade games and classic video games was to challenge yourself. Any chump can beat Halo 4 and watch the credits roll by. I enjoy modern video games and play them all. However, where is the fun in completing a game that 30 million other people completed. You wind up being a stat that everyone else has the game has fulfilled. Play Galaga and get that insane adreneline rush. Know there is just about no way to survive and just enjoy the ride. All you can do is improve. Try to beat your own high score. There is no improving on Halo. You just get to watch the credits again. Beating your high score on any pinball machine, or Pac Man or Donkey Kong or Tempest or Space Invaders is a rush. We live in a society where we get trophys for 'playing on a baseball team.' This is different from the days of classic games.

You got a trophy in 1980 if your team won the championship. If you did not, there is no trophy. Getting the trophy meant something. Getting the high score, be it the overall high score in the arcade or your personal high score in Pitfall! on the 2600 actually meant something. Beating Halo is simply like finishing a book. Many many people have done the same thing. Big deal. Still a fun ride, but no real (pardon the pun) achievement.

Also, collecting is the same rush for me. Finding a game you don't have. Maybe playing a game you never played as a kid. It's all incredibly fun. It's challenging and when you succeed you deserve your trophy.

• Like 4

You got a trophy in 1980 if your team won the championship. If you did not, there is no trophy. Getting the trophy meant something. Getting the high score, be it the overall high score in the arcade or your personal high score in Pitfall! on the 2600 actually meant something. Beating Halo is simply like finishing a book. Many many people have done the same thing. Big deal. Still a fun ride, but no real (pardon the pun) achievement.

Also, collecting is the same rush for me. Finding a game you don't have. Maybe playing a game you never played as a kid. It's all incredibly fun. It's challenging and when you succeed you deserve your trophy.

My kids play sports and every time they get a trophy even if the team didn't win the championship. This is because parents don't want their kids to feel bad for losing. This is insane thinking. In a game not everyone can win. There must be a winner and loser. Losing is part of life and shielding a kid from losing makes for a messed up adult. I can't tell you how many useless trophies we have taking up space. My kids could care less about them. I remember the time my son's team did win the championship, his championship trophy was smaller than his participant trophy!

• Like 1

As the old quote says, "Classic video games are like life. They get faster and harder until you die." The goal of the old arcade games and classic video games was to challenge yourself. Any chump can beat Halo 4 and watch the credits roll by. I enjoy modern video games and play them all. However, where is the fun in completing a game that 30 million other people completed. You wind up being a stat that everyone else has the game has fulfilled. Play Galaga and get that insane adreneline rush. Know there is just about no way to survive and just enjoy the ride. All you can do is improve. Try to beat your own high score. There is no improving on Halo. You just get to watch the credits again. Beating your high score on any pinball machine, or Pac Man or Donkey Kong or Tempest or Space Invaders is a rush. We live in a society where we get trophys for 'playing on a baseball team.' This is different from the days of classic games.

Best answer to the question, IMO! Well and generously spoken! :)

I have to agree on the adrenaline rush part. In Space Invaders, especially, when they increase their speed across the screen and get closer and closer to you. The desperation of your shots before they land and obliterate any chance you had of defending the Earth. Nothing compares, IMO. The sigh of relief when you beat a wave, then they move down one line and you feel your heartbeat increase, knowing they are closer, knowing you have less time to destroy them. Ahhh, it's a great feeling. :D

• Like 1

My apologies to those I have said harsh things to. I thought i asked a fun question and did not like some of the snarky (my opinion) answers I got from some folks. Whether my question was misunderstood by some protecting their hobby is neither here nor there. I appreciate all the legitimate answers from others. I apologize to AtariLeaf personally and I would have sent a PM but i will respect that you asked me not to. I would just like to enjoy the information I get from this forum and maybe contribute a bit.

No problems its all good :)

• Like 3

No problems its all good :)

No way man!!!! PITCHFORKS AND TORCHES!!! PITCHFORKS AND TORCHES!!! PITCHFORKS AND TORCHES!!! PITCHFORKS AND TORCHES!!! PITCHFORKS AND TORCHES!!! PITCHFORKS AND TORCHES!!! PITCHFORKS AND TORCHES!!! PITCHFORKS AND TORCHES!!! PITCHFORKS AND TORCHES!!!

Just kidding!!!

@jknu80sfan: You will soon begin to notice that the majority of us tend to goof around a bit with the tongue-and-cheek jokes...fairly non-stop.

It is not intended to mean any harm...I promise....

NOT!

...no...really....

NOT!

I think you are seeing a pattern! :D

No way man!!!! PITCHFORKS AND TORCHES!!! PITCHFORKS AND TORCHES!!! PITCHFORKS AND TORCHES!!! PITCHFORKS AND TORCHES!!! PITCHFORKS AND TORCHES!!! PITCHFORKS AND TORCHES!!! PITCHFORKS AND TORCHES!!! PITCHFORKS AND TORCHES!!! PITCHFORKS AND TORCHES!!!

Just kidding!!!

@jknu80sfan: You will soon begin to notice that the majority of us tend to goof around a bit with the tongue-and-cheek jokes...fairly non-stop.

It is not intended to mean any harm...I promise....

NOT!

...no...really....

NOT!

I think you are seeing a pattern! :D

I am preparing my scathing PM to you as we speak. I have 16 posts here...I deserve some respect :grin: :woozy: :_( :P

PS, I hope my overuse of weird smiley faces also makes it clear I am joking :P

• Like 1

For me, VCS is a return to a fun pastime. But, I have also wondered if adult collectors/players are not driven out of a desire to have all the things they couldn't have as kids. For me, we were fairly poor and I only had about 10 games for the VCS because we couldn't afford more than games given at Christmas and birthdays. I think when I finally got to the stage where I earned decent income, and games were easy to be found for cheap, it was almost an irresistible combination. Kind of like making up for lost opportunities and time. Forbidden fruit. I can now have my cake and eat it too.

• Like 2

It is the experiences we have as a child that mold us into who we are. To forsake them because you supposedly grow up is forgetting part of yourself. it made you, why forget it. My house is full of collectables besides the atari. People have accused me of hanging on to my youth. Accuse all you want, but that is all part of me. To reject any of it is rejecting me. If you truly love me as a husband, father or friend, then you love what I do and collect, for to think it stupid, you must think I am stupid, and therefore your feelings are a farce.

Holy s*** that's a lot of robots.

My kids play sports and every time they get a trophy even if the team didn't win the championship. This is because parents don't want their kids to feel bad for losing. This is insane thinking. In a game not everyone can win. There must be a winner and loser. Losing is part of life and shielding a kid from losing makes for a messed up adult. I can't tell you how many useless trophies we have taking up space. My kids could care less about them. I remember the time my son's team did win the championship, his championship trophy was smaller than his participant trophy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRGpMzYsiGI