Photo

When did home computers start showing up on TV shows?

31 replies to this topic

#26 high voltage OFFLINE  

high voltage

River Patroller

• 4,030 posts
  • Location:America, Asia, Europe, Aus, Antartica, Africa, Outer Space

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:00 AM

The doc in Bewitched (60s) had punch cards popping out of a keyboard :-)

Edited by high voltage, Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:01 AM.

#27 Master Phruby ONLINE  

Master Phruby

River Patroller

• 3,176 posts

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:26 AM

So what have we learned from 80s TV? Home computers are only good for hacking into the military or a bank.

Going back to the Phoenix is playing Phoenix. The original high score was only 6800. Isn't that kind of low for a high score? His 18000 high score seems low too.

#28 DesertJets OFFLINE  

DesertJets

Chopper Commander

• 215 posts

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:35 AM

I know this example was relatively late, but at the same time home computers were not commonplace in TV shows, but Doogie Howser MD always ended with Doogie writing in his journal on his PS/2.

#29 Pixelboy OFFLINE  

Pixelboy

Quadrunner

• 6,154 posts

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:52 AM

Computers were often seen in the Six Million Dollar Man and the Bionic Woman, but I think they were all of the bulky, not-for-home variety (when they weren't completely fake props altogether).

#30 MrMaddog OFFLINE  

MrMaddog

Chopper Commander

• 177 posts
  • Still Atarian

Posted Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:46 AM

Yes I would agree with that, Ricky also had a home computer as well. This was from 1982, it is the earliest instance of a home computer in a TV series we've found so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOGhUab23sA

Oh man, not only I remember seeing that one as a kid but it was the same exact computer I had. At the time it seemed like computers can do "anything"...now you wonder how anyone can hack into the gov't using only 16K RAM. :D

#31 SoulBlazer OFFLINE  

SoulBlazer

River Patroller

• 4,104 posts

Posted Thu Jan 17, 2013 2:34 AM

Not the earilest, but one of THE earilest use of personal computers I can recall seeing was in a 1982 episode of Knight Rider, where a kid hacker uses a Atari computer (or maybe it was a TI) with a 2600 joystick to control KITT. They also used a personal computer in the moving truck, but I'm not sure what that one was.

#32 simbalion OFFLINE  

simbalion

Moonsweeper

• 414 posts

Posted Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:40 PM

Battlestar Galactica (original 1978 TV series) used Commodore Pets with the Commodore label removed.

That's something Richard Hatch mentions and brags about a little in the DVD comentary for the original BSG series. Unlike Star Trek and other series, their computers worked! They all recalled playing games on the computers during lunch breaks and such while filmng the series.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users