IGNORED

Anyone here from Western PA

Sek

I know of one person who posts here who's from this area, wondering how many others are lurking about. I've always wondered why there's no retro gaming conventions or get-togethers here, it seems like there would be an audience for it. The closest we have is the Toy Shows that hit the Pittsburgh area a couple times a year, but nothing dedicated to gaming.

I mean, if the furries can have their convention here why not gamers? 8)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

We wouldn't provide as nearly as much entertainment for DVE as the furries do.

Several of us post here, and this topic has come up before I think.

For me... lack of interest and time. Involved with too many other things with work and family.

I'm not sure how big classic gaming is around here anyways. A notable SW PA resident is the guy who does Classic Game Room HD. If you dig around his videos, there is an early one of him buying his Saturn from the Exchange.

Speaking of the Exchange, they really don't have anything older than the NES stuff, and even that is dwindling. On occasion, you might see an Atari 7800 or colecovision there, but always priced way up.

There are two Game Again stores that sometimes have older stuff.

Otherwise, thrifts around here dried up ages ago. All I ever run across are old PS2 and XBox sports game. I have given up on the time and gas.

Then I think we have a record on stupid Craigslists posts.

So, it would suggest to me that there isn't that big of a market and maybe not as much interest. Maybe things are otherwise, and I don't know it.

• Like 1

Right now, the Monroeville Exchange has a bunch of Atari 2600 and 5200 carts (and 5200 controllers) - many are wrapped up in a lot. Intellivision stuff too.

The Carson Street (Southside) exchange had a boxed Intellivoice I noticed.

Can't recommend anywhere else for pre-NES systems. Groovy on southside closed. I'd like to meet that Mark dude someday, I really enjoy his Classic Gaming Room HD show.

Update.. Groovy is in Munhall, now

Probably still over priced and never open when they are supposed to be.

The Monroeville exchange probably has the best selection for older stuff. It is way out of the way for me though, so I hardly ever go. The one on McKnight road is on the way home. Seems to have a better selection of PS2/Gamecube stuff than some of the other stores.

There is also a new one on Forbes. Inventory is not as strong. Actually, I co-worker sold a lot of their old SNES and NES stuff off to them. Had they known I collected stuff, I could have gotten my hands on it....

Neither of those, pawn shop is good for n64 though

Probably some hole in the wall place we will never find. There are a lot of things tucked away in the burgh that you would never notice until someone points it out. Southside is not exactly in my path and what a pain to park. Remember the Goodwill Computer Works though? Wonder what happened? Long gone. My Odyssey 2 and 2 port 5200 came from there. Long time ago though.

The Exchange stores are good for the random console pickup (I got my Intellivision and Lynx I there among others), but most of the pre NES games get sent to their store in Canton OH. I've been there, and it's pretty impressive.

I keep meaning to hit the Goodwill in Lawrenceville, it's probably been picked clean by everyone in this thread now though.

Lawrenceville is way out of the way for me, so no go for me.

At least the Exchange keeps the cases and manuals to their PS2 games unlike some other mega chain we know. A few months ago, I was getting some semi-decent deals on some PS2 rpgs that missed. Prices depends on who took it in and if everyone is just unloading their crap. One that got me.... they had the Orangebox sealed for the 360 sealed for $19.99. Gamestop wanted $30 for just a disc...

• 1 month later...

Heck, maybe start a convention/show in that area. If you can find a venue that isn't too pricey. Then you can reserve it and then promote it in ads in local papers and Craigslist and sending links to other gaming con websites. Sometimes the venue owners or management will work with you on the pricing, so you can give them, perhaps, half of gate proceeds and half or 1/3 or whatever of table fees in lieu of $1000-$2000 to rent the place.

You make your money from renting out tables to vendors selling products (in this case classic video games) and from charging $5 to $10 for the general population to get in. Also, you can sell t-shirts with the convention logo. Pittsburgh is a large area, and there are areas nearby that don't have video game cons either -- like Youngstown (where I am by). It might be fun. Could start out at a smaller type venue, and if you sell out your vendor tables, then maybe rent a bigger place the following year. My friend does cons (not for gaming), and he has his on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays, so there are 3 days that people can come in case they are busy with stuff like work or family. Weekend passes allow someone to come all 3 days, or they can just buy a day pass.

Edited by Trekker_1138
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

I'm new to the site and from the Pittsburgh area. Most of the gamers I run into in these parts are NES, SNES, N64. Been waiting to find some Atari, Intellivision, and Odyssey 2 fans. I have a bunch of stuff I'm looking to trade. I am getting pics ready to post on the marketplace. Always looking to add to the collection.

There is a pretty cool store in White Oak as well called Game Again, I've known the owner for a long time, He has pretty good prices on everything. His retro inventory varies, but he has some nice stuff. Big thing is everything is guarenteed, if he can't replace it you get store credit for it.

Another one is Cash Flow Shop by the Waterfront, always hit or miss, but sometimes. I pulled 8 CIB Colecovision Games from there around Christmas for $2 a piece

• Like 1

I'm new to the site and from the Pittsburgh area. Most of the gamers I run into in these parts are NES, SNES, N64. Been waiting to find some Atari, Intellivision, and Odyssey 2 fans. I have a bunch of stuff I'm looking to trade. I am getting pics ready to post on the marketplace. Always looking to add to the collection.

There is a pretty cool store in White Oak as well called Game Again, I've known the owner for a long time, He has pretty good prices on everything. His retro inventory varies, but he has some nice stuff. Big thing is everything is guarenteed, if he can't replace it you get store credit for it.

Another one is Cash Flow Shop by the Waterfront, always hit or miss, but sometimes. I pulled 8 CIB Colecovision Games from there around Christmas for $2 a piece

There is a 2nd Game again as well in the area. Same deal. Have gotten some decent deals on some PS1 and PS2 rpgs.

I've been to the White Oak Game Again several times, good store. The other Game Again is way up in Cranberry - I never go to Cranberry, too far.

I don't know if the one on White Oak has the same policy, but the one in Cranberry will not take in scratched discs or ones that have been resurfaced. They have to be in good shape and they much prefer complete for anything disc based. The recent deal that pops into my memory was a NM Dragon Warrior VII for $20. Of course, I have no time to play it....

• 1 month later...

I went to the Game Again in Cranberry, not a bad little store. Found some 2600 games and a boxed 7800 game I was looking for. The guy gave me a deal the second time I went in and ended up getting a Game Gear game for free since I was buying four other games.

Also there's a new gaming store in Penn Hills on Rodi Road called Penn Hills Game Exchange. They have a lot of import stuff like Famicom/Super Famicom/Mega Drive/N64/FDS. I picked up Thexder for Famicom there, they have some non import stuff, but not as much. They've only been open for a couple of months so they don't have the largest selection, but they've already made my list of places to check. Plus it's nice to have a spot to get Famicom games that doesn't require you to bend over for international shipping.

• 2 months later...

I'm from New Castle, PA. I went to CCAG in Cleveland the last 2 years. It's a 1 1/2 hour drive for me, and they are moving to a larger venue next year due to increased demand. A similar show in Pittsburgh would be great and should work.

As far as used game stores with Atari stuff, there's Splitstone Entertainment here in New Castle, but they only have a handful of common 2600 carts for $1.00 each. They have tons of Nintendo stuff. They have another location in Hermitage, but I've never been there.

In Niles Ohio, there's a store called Endless Electronics. They have a little more as far as Atari carts, along with a few systems

Other than that, I've found Atari stuff at area flea markets: Michaelangelo's in New Castle, Four Seasons in Youngstown, And Rogers, OH.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I live in altoona pa. That's more central pa, about an hour and 45 minutes from Pittsburgh. There are a few stores here that have Nintendo stuff, but not much and they are usually way over priced. I find most of my stuff at the local flea market and usually they want top dollar for everything. I don't really know anyone here that shares my enthusiasm for the classics.

• 1 month later...