Photo

Did I basically get ripped off for this copy of Iron Soldier 2 LE cart?

36 replies to this topic

#1 decayedmatter OFFLINE  

decayedmatter

Star Raider

• 64 posts

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013 10:13 AM

eBay Auction -- Item Number: 290834131616

Tried offering the guy $150 at first. He turned it down, offered him $170 and he took it. Now I discoverwed there's a user on here "songbird" who sells it for $109 plus shipping. So I overpaid around $52. Ugh. I'd like to strangle that ebay seller now but it was my own fault for not doing my research. I had no clue Jaguar games are still being produced.

I guess in the end though. At least I get to play IS2, which i've wanted to since back in the Jaguar days (was a poor kid back then who couldn't afford many games).

#2 adolobe OFFLINE  

adolobe

Chopper Commander

• 238 posts

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013 10:21 AM

Sadly yes but on the other hand most of the time Songbird is out of stock of the cart and if its out of stock the wait can be months depending on telegames . So just wait till its out of stock again and sell it on ebay haha

#3 AtariMagic! OFFLINE  

AtariMagic!

Star Raider

• 92 posts

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013 10:23 AM

a Little overpriced, but not for much...

#4 decayedmatter OFFLINE  

decayedmatter

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 64 posts

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013 10:23 AM

Sadly yes but on the other hand most of the time Songbird is out of stock of the cart and if its out of stock the wait can be months depending on telegames . So just wait till its out of stock again and sell it on ebay haha

Yea I kinda paid for my lack of patience of wanting to play the game. Bleh.

#5 Gunstar OFFLINE  

Gunstar

Gunstar

• 7,432 posts

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013 10:25 AM

Well, the Songbird site does say there are limited copies left, so I guess you did get "ripped off" for now, however, once Songbird runs out of that limited supply, who knows if more will come in (most Telegames titles are on back-order and who knows if they are actually going to make more), not too mention that I've heard that the latest Telegames Jag games are inferior quality to what they used to be with deskjet printed labels and such (of course original labels are just black with red lettering and no picture), so, you may have a higher quality copy of the game, and it may be that down the road you can sell it and get your investment back at least.

Edited by Gunstar, Wed Jan 9, 2013 10:26 AM.

#6 decayedmatter OFFLINE  

decayedmatter

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 64 posts

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013 10:27 AM

Well, the Songbird site does say there are limited copies left, so I guess you did get "ripped off" for now, however, once Songbird runs out of that limited supply, who knows if more will come in (most Telegames titles are on back-order and who knows if they are actually going to make more), not too mention that I've heard that the latest Telegames Jag games are inferior quality to what they used to be with deskjet printed labels and such (of course original labels are just black with red lettering and no picture), so, you may have a higher quality copy of the game, and it may be that down the road you can sell it and get your investment back at least.

You mean the silver label copies? I bet you anything this seller is just selling the reprint version that was available earlier in 2012. But We shall see when it arrives.

#7 Gunstar OFFLINE  

Gunstar

Gunstar

• 7,432 posts

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013 10:31 AM

I've never seen the "inferior" or silver labels, only heard from others that they look home-made

#8 decayedmatter OFFLINE  

decayedmatter

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 64 posts

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013 10:37 AM

I've never seen the "inferior" or silver labels, only heard from others that they look home-made

Just from searching around, it looks like the original release was a plain but silver backing label, and the reproductions are white label with black ink.

I can't wait to play the game either way. I remember back in the day as a kid, I would look at my gamepro preview and review of IS1 and always wanting it (had a fascination back then with polygonal games, something to do with my obsession with VR) finally found a Jaguar at a preplayed for like $60 that included a cart only Zool 2 and 2 controllers. Then ordered a specially made S video cable for the best picture quality. Then picked up Iron Soldier, AVP, and Kasumi Ninja boxed and complete for real cheap. Always wondering if I would ever get a copy of IS2 (wanted the cart version as I don't really wanna bother with a Jag CD).

the whole time I'm thinking the one run of IS2 back in the day was it. I should've done my research. But yes I'm excited to play the game, and went ahead and ordered a cheap copy of IS3 for ps1 as well. So now I have the complete Iron Soldier series. Very happy (even if I overpaid).

Edited by decayedmatter, Wed Jan 9, 2013 11:26 AM.

#9 twoquickcapri OFFLINE  

twoquickcapri

Dragonstomper

• 876 posts

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:27 PM

I purchased IS2 from Songbird the last time he restock them and it has the silver label. Maybe 7 months ago.

#10 Gunstar OFFLINE  

Gunstar

Gunstar

• 7,432 posts

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:36 PM

Just from searching around, it looks like the original release was a plain but silver backing label, and the reproductions are white label with black ink.

I can't wait to play the game either way. I remember back in the day as a kid, I would look at my gamepro preview and review of IS1 and always wanting it (had a fascination back then with polygonal games, something to do with my obsession with VR) finally found a Jaguar at a preplayed for like $60 that included a cart only Zool 2 and 2 controllers. Then ordered a specially made S video cable for the best picture quality. Then picked up Iron Soldier, AVP, and Kasumi Ninja boxed and complete for real cheap. Always wondering if I would ever get a copy of IS2 (wanted the cart version as I don't really wanna bother with a Jag CD).

the whole time I'm thinking the one run of IS2 back in the day was it. I should've done my research. But yes I'm excited to play the game, and went ahead and ordered a cheap copy of IS3 for ps1 as well. So now I have the complete Iron Soldier series. Very happy (even if I overpaid).

The ORIGINAL labels on cartridge games from Telegames are black background with red lettering (matching the Jag's color scheme at least), not silver, I'd like to see a picture of a silver label to see if it's better or worse looking than the originals. For that matter I'd also like to see a picture of the white and black label too.

Edited by Gunstar, Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:39 PM.

#11 twoquickcapri OFFLINE  

twoquickcapri

Dragonstomper

• 876 posts

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:41 PM

There is a picture on this website.

http://www.atariage....ItemTypeID=CART

#12 decayedmatter OFFLINE  

decayedmatter

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 64 posts

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:45 PM

There is a picture on this website.

http://www.atariage....ItemTypeID=CART

Yep and I was about to post this picture as well, which shows off the silver color.

http://www.atariage....d/#entry1899334

#13 decayedmatter OFFLINE  

decayedmatter

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 64 posts

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:48 PM

So in the end, yep I got ripped off. Not too happy about it. But no point of crying over spilled milk. I will enjoy the hell out of the game regardless. Can't wait to get IS3 on ps1 as well. Looks awesome.

#14 Gunstar OFFLINE  

Gunstar

Gunstar

• 7,432 posts

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013 12:56 PM

So in the end, yep I got ripped off. Not too happy about it. But no point of crying over spilled milk. I will enjoy the hell out of the game regardless. Can't wait to get IS3 on ps1 as well. Looks awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KpI8hwtcMEQ

I have IS3 for the PSX and it's great, but if you can find a NUON and it's version of IS3 it makes the PSX version look like IS2 on the Jag by comparison.

#15 Gunstar OFFLINE  

Gunstar

Gunstar

• 7,432 posts

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013 1:01 PM

Both versions are quite inferior to the original black and red labels, which is really pathetic becuase the original labels were really cheap to start with!

#16 decayedmatter OFFLINE  

decayedmatter

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 64 posts

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013 1:08 PM

I have IS3 for the PSX and it's great, but if you can find a NUON and it's version of IS3 it makes the PSX version look like IS2 on the Jag by comparison.

Can you go into detail? I'll prolly never buy a NUON heh.

#17 decayedmatter OFFLINE  

decayedmatter

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 64 posts

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013 1:08 PM

Both versions are quite inferior to the original black and red labels, which is really pathetic becuase the original labels were really cheap to start with!

Are you saying the game is inferior or the labels are inferior? Cause I really don't care about the label, I just wanna play the game.

#18 Gunstar OFFLINE  

Gunstar

Gunstar

• 7,432 posts

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:30 PM

Are you saying the game is inferior or the labels are inferior? Cause I really don't care about the label, I just wanna play the game.

Just the labels. The games are great and I'm sure the boards and chips are too.

#19 Gunstar OFFLINE  

Gunstar

Gunstar

• 7,432 posts

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:33 PM

Can you go into detail? I'll prolly never buy a NUON heh.

The NUON version, graphically, would sit right in between N64 and Dreamcast quality graphics (closer to DC). But it's all in the details too, and the details are better on the NUON version (lighting/shadowing, weather, special effects, etc.) But, the NUON version of IS3 is about as rare as Battlesphere on the Jaguar and fetches a similiar price.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5NdSA05AGg

Edited by Gunstar, Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:39 PM.

#20 decayedmatter OFFLINE  

decayedmatter

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 64 posts

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:38 PM

The NUON version, graphically, would sit right in between N64 and Dreamcast quality graphics (closer to DC). But it's all in the details too, and the details are better on the NUON version (lighting/shadowing, weather, special effects, etc.) But, the NUON version of IS3 is about as rare as Battlesphere on the Jaguar and fetches a similiar price.

Ahhh cool so it would be like comparing a PC version of a game nowadays to a console version. Yea i heard IS3 on Nuon was recalled or something? I'll take the ps1 version, i just love the IS gameplay. I don't mind ps1 graphics, in fact I think they are charming! (as I feel about all 32 bit 3d graphics)

Not to mention the jump in graphics and framerate of the ps1 IS3 is huge compared to IS1 and 2. So I'm excited to play it.

Edited by decayedmatter, Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:41 PM.

#21 decayedmatter OFFLINE  

decayedmatter

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 64 posts

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:44 PM

Oh and those videos look really nice. But I think what I see of the ps1 version they still manage to make the same visual impact. Does the ps1 version not have weather effects at all?

#22 Rex Dart OFFLINE  

Rex Dart

Quadrunner

• 6,544 posts
  • NO CASH VALUE

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:47 PM

I'd suggest you try playing Iron Soldier 3 on a PS1 emulator on your computer, high-res w/ graphic filtering & effects turned on. Ought to wind up looking similar to a PC game from around 2001.

#23 decayedmatter OFFLINE  

decayedmatter

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 64 posts

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:56 PM

I'd suggest you try playing Iron Soldier 3 on a PS1 emulator on your computer, high-res w/ graphic filtering & effects turned on. Ought to wind up looking similar to a PC game from around 2001.

Yea that always looks nice, but I am kinda purist most the time. I like playing on the original hardware with the original controller just to feel what players back in time experienced playing it. But yea once in awhile I'll try stuff on emulator as well to see enhanced graphics.

The texture smoothing option when playing ps1 games on a ps2 helps as well.

#24 Rex Dart OFFLINE  

Rex Dart

Quadrunner

• 6,544 posts
  • NO CASH VALUE

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013 4:59 PM

Yeah, real hardware is usually best for playing through a game if you want the authentic feel... that's why I have so damn many consoles. But it's always neat to load up a PS1 or Wii game in an emulator and see how much better they look when powered by a modern computer.

#25 Gunstar OFFLINE  

Gunstar

Gunstar

• 7,432 posts

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:27 PM

Oh and those videos look really nice. But I think what I see of the ps1 version they still manage to make the same visual impact. Does the ps1 version not have weather effects at all?

Well, for one thing, the first PS1 video looks like it was done with an emulator or on a PS2 with texture smoothing, it won't look that good on a real PS1, I know, I have a PSX and PS2 and Iron Soldier 3. I would still get a NUON if I could find and afford IS3 for it. And second, even the NUON videos are not shown at full quality as when playing the real thing.

Edited by Gunstar, Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:28 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users