Photo

Did I basically get ripped off for this copy of Iron Soldier 2 LE cart?

36 replies to this topic

#26 decayedmatter OFFLINE  

decayedmatter

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 64 posts

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:29 PM

Yeah, real hardware is usually best for playing through a game if you want the authentic feel... that's why I have so damn many consoles. But it's always neat to load up a PS1 or Wii game in an emulator and see how much better they look when powered by a modern computer.

I wish I could run the Dolphin emulator at full speed. I tried Madworld on it at native 720p res and it was glorious. Unfortunately there were visual glitches and slowdown abound.

#27 decayedmatter OFFLINE  

decayedmatter

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 64 posts

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:33 PM

Well, for one thing, the first PS1 video looks like it was done with an emulator or on a PS2 with texture smoothing, it won't look that good on a real PS1, I know, I have a PSX and PS2 and Iron Soldier 3. I would still get a NUON if I could find and afford IS3 for it. And second, even the NUON videos are not shown at full quality as when playing the real thing.

Ahh I see, well i'll be playing it on my slim ps2 with texture smoothing available. I don't really mind grainy unfiltered textures and 640x480 res. Sucks if the ps1 version doesn't have the rain effects though.

I think when I get IS2 and 3 i'll do a video about all 3, kinda a semi review. You guys should check out my channel, I do lots of retro gaming type stuff and collection videos. Here's my retro game room.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqFyPg9ruXA

Edited by decayedmatter, Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:37 PM.

#28 Rex Dart OFFLINE  

Rex Dart

Quadrunner

• 6,392 posts
  • NO CASH VALUE

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:50 PM

I wish I could run the Dolphin emulator at full speed. I tried Madworld on it at native 720p res and it was glorious. Unfortunately there were visual glitches and slowdown abound.

I tried the same thing, with the same results. :) That game does look great at 720p, though. I wish it'd been ported to 360 after it dropped to $8 on the Wii. Could've done okay as an XBLA title.

#29 decayedmatter OFFLINE  

decayedmatter

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 64 posts

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:53 PM

I tried the same thing, with the same results. :) That game does look great at 720p, though. I wish it'd been ported to 360 after it dropped to $8 on the Wii. Could've done okay as an XBLA title.

Yea all I really accomplished is taking some great screenshots using fraps. They make awesome backgrounds :P

Edited by decayedmatter, Wed Jan 9, 2013 5:53 PM.

#30 Willard OFFLINE  

Willard

Stargunner

• 1,001 posts

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:21 PM

i like IS1 the best of the 3 games produced, although they do get progressively better looking. it's too bad that the jaguar didn't start out with more games looking like IS2.

#31 Gunstar OFFLINE  

Gunstar

Gunstar

• 7,432 posts

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:26 PM

i like IS1 the best of the 3 games produced, although they do get progressively better looking. it's too bad that the jaguar didn't start out with more games looking like IS2.

Eclipse software said in an interview once, that they could still do better on the Jag than IS2, that if they made IS3 on the Jag, it would have been in between IS2 on the Jag and IS3 on the PSX in graphic quality. They would have to re-write the engine though, they couldn't use the same one as with IS1&2

Edited by Gunstar, Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:28 PM.

#32 decayedmatter OFFLINE  

decayedmatter

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 64 posts

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:28 PM

To be honest...and I will probably be crucified here for this. But there's not many Jaguar games I think are very good or worthy of buying the system for as far as games that hold up well today. Most of them are just fun to relive nostalgia.

Iron Soldier is one of the few series on Jaguar I think still hold up fantastically today, or are even better than some games we get nowadays.

Although I do enjoy playing Kasumi Ninja from time to time for a good laugh. I even did a fatality compilation video on it.

CHO NO MUSHI!!

#33 Gunstar OFFLINE  

Gunstar

Gunstar

• 7,432 posts

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:49 PM

It's all a matter of opinion, though it's true to an extent. In 2D, most Jaguar games match up well to the latest 2D stuff on smart phones and whatnot. 3D, I definately think that the plain and garuad shaded polygons of the Jaguar hold up better today then a lot of the textured 3D stuff, Though HoverStrike CD still looks incredible to me, considering. There's something about the old VR stuff, that while it definately looks old-school, it's still cool to look at. Whereas all the textured stuff we were all so impressed with on 32/64-bit systems just looks badly dated with low-res texturing, and especially on the games (every systm is guilty from the era) that have warping textured polygons (HS CD doesn't warp for counter-example, except for correct perspective warping). But I was playing Driver 2 on the PSX recently, and I was amazed at all the texture warping and clipping I ignored years ago, same with Tomb Raider.

I, personally, like it all, even warping low-res texture maps. I just think the non-textured polys look better today in the VR kind of way.

Edited by Gunstar, Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:56 PM.

#34 decayedmatter OFFLINE  

decayedmatter

Star Raider

• Topic Starter
  • 64 posts

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013 6:55 PM

It's all a matter of opinion, though it's true to an extent. In 2D, most Jaguar games match up well to the latest 2D stuff on smart phones and whatnot. 3D, I definately think that the plain and garuad shaded polygons of the Jaguar hold up better today then a lot of the textured 3D stuff, Though HoverStrike CD still looks incredible to me, considering. There's something about the old VR stuff, that while it definately looks old-school, it's still cool to look at. Whereas all the textured stuff we were all so impressed with on 32/64-bit systems just looks badly dated with low-res texturing, and especially on the games (every systm is guilty from the era) that have warping textured polygons (HS CD doesn't warp for example, except for correct perspective warping).

I, personally, like it all, even warping low-res texture maps.

Yea its funny, I was playing the old PS1 Medal of Honor games and thinking to myself..

"WOW, i'm actually enjoying this more than a lot of modern shooters!"

I think sometimes it's the developers that do such fantastic things with such limited graphical capability. Like MoH, the characters were all blocky, the backgrounds popped in horribly, and the game play was very linear. But they managed to capture the atmosphere perfectly despite that. You really feel like you are in WW2 sneaking into nazi installations and such, due to the great sound design and authentic look to everything despite the primitive 3d.

#35 Gunstar OFFLINE  

Gunstar

Gunstar

• 7,432 posts

Posted Wed Jan 9, 2013 8:47 PM

I agree. I'm more impressed with some of the graphics they pulled out of the 90's consoles than all the ultra realistic stuff of today. I love Halo 4, but Duke Nukem 3D on the Saturn still hits the spot for me. I still love playing JagDoom too.

#36 Songbird OFFLINE  

Songbird

Stargunner

• 1,311 posts

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:40 PM

I did have one copy each of the Telegames carts on my site a few days ago, but they got snapped up almost overnight. Breakout is still in stock for now, and I am expecting another shipment from Telegames early February. Finally got a restock on my own games, too! :)

#37 Gunstar OFFLINE  

Gunstar

Gunstar

• 7,432 posts

Posted Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:44 PM

I did have one copy each of the Telegames carts on my site a few days ago, but they got snapped up almost overnight. Breakout is still in stock for now, and I am expecting another shipment from Telegames early February. Finally got a restock on my own games, too! :)

That's good news, becuase I'm planning on buying a couple of your games and Telegames releases in the next couple of months. Thanks Carl! And thanks for Robinson's Requiem! Save me a copy of Towers II when you get them! How is the final Jag mystery project coming along?

Edited by Gunstar, Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:50 PM.

0 user(s) are browsing this forum

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users