IGNORED

Evolution of a collection

racerx

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This was a pretty epic topic to read today, the progression was pretty serious. I thought: "That escalated quickly."

I'd leave out the change machine if space is an issue. I used to think it was necessary, but after going to a few FREE PLAY arcades I think that's the way to go unless you wanna set a high score or something. I still *get* it though, you want your kids to have the same experience in the arcade. Sad to say, that while they definitely can come to appreciate the games I don't think it'll ever be the same for them.

No, of course it won't be the same for todays kids. That's a given. It was a different day and age. Arcades and pool halls, pizza shops, bars, etc.... all the places that had games in them, were public meeting places. Unless you called your friends before you/they went out, you had no idea who you might run into.

However, those of us with a collection(even one cabinet counts) of these, we are keeping the spirit alive. We are keeping these archaic devices from falling into the sands of time. So long as one of these machines still functions, the memory of our childhoods remains alive. The good ole' days of the late 70's to the late 80's. There will never come a time like it again.

Edit: Looking over the pictures again, I see an Asteroids machine. Is that an original Asteroids, or was it converted from Lunar Lander?

Edited by [d2f]Iggy*SJB

• 2 weeks later...

I'd leave out the change machine if space is an issue. I used to think it was necessary, but after going to a few FREE PLAY arcades I think that's the way to go unless you wanna set a high score or something. I still *get* it though, you want your kids to have the same experience in the arcade.

Yeah, I thought that too, and they're almost all on free play currently. I'm going to put them all back on quarter play though, because it just isn't the same. Free play just makes the whole thing too casual I guess, like nothing's on the line. Especially when they're in the basement and you can play whenever you want, walking up and simply hitting the 1P button removes a lot of the "seriousness" of the game. Who cares if you die? I dunno, maybe it's just me.

Edit: Looking over the pictures again, I see an Asteroids machine. Is that an original Asteroids, or was it converted from Lunar Lander?

As far as I know it's an original Asteroids, though it looks like the board's been replaced.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I don't know about you, but I've had to lug those things up a flight of steps(when I was an able bodied teenager), and it was no fun back then. No chance I'm doing that these days. :P

I told my wife, that when we move away from Maryland, the house we get has to have either an arcade room in the house, a basement with few steps(and a large door) to get them into, or a garage with the same environmental controls as the rest of the house.

I've included a pic I took of my set up last night.... Paddle Battle is still being worked on, that's why it's turned backwards.

post-8303-0-50866000-1388006244_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

Nice Gorf!

I'm really envious of your collection! And here I am thinking I'm hot stuff with my Lost World cab, haha. We want a second, preferably an older game, but craigslist in my area is dry. Either over priced classics, or overpriced crud. Nearly every one in horrible condition.

I don't know where you're from, but it seems like it's an arcade machine haven!

I don't know where you're from, but it seems like it's an arcade machine haven!

I'm lucky enough to live in the Chicago area, where a lot of manufacturers were located. I remember having a lot of machines out on test in the early 80s at the local Aladdin's Arcades. Williams was quite literally across the street from Lakehurst Mall where I did most of my gaming.

The other guys that have it good are the California peeps. Their games seem to be priced about 25% less than the same stuff here.

Edited by racerx

• 4 weeks later...

You got more games

Added some, sold some projects, moved stuff around a little. Space Invaders Deluxe and Radikal Bikers are off screen to the left, and Big Run, Primal Rage, and TMNT are behind me in the hall. Mace: the Dark Age is in the break room at work. Breakout and Gran Trak 10 are still projects in the unfinished part of the basement.

This lineup is gonna be pretty stable for a while. I'm out of space and money until I get bored of something and sell it off. :)

Edited by racerx

• 2 months later...

Absolutely Love your collection racerx, Man do I know your pain, better than most i'm afraid, and yes, it is almost impossible to stop collecting these once you get started, You do not know how many times I have rearranged in order to get more arcade games to fit in, in fact I opened an arcade to have a place to house the collection, have rearranged that too now 6 times, and im still out of space, I now have games all over my other business, having enough space is always the killer to the collection, and in Miami where im at, space is at a premium. Beautiful collection, once again congrats.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Nearly two years of searching came to an end today as I finally added a Red Baron to the collection. Atari only produced 1500 of the uprights, making it difficult to track down a survivor 35 years later, for the right price and in the right location. Super, super happy about this one!

20150125_143428_zpsa45b9df5.jpg

DSC_4697_zps9b9fd44a.jpg

DSC_4704_zps99312888.jpg

Edited by racerx
  • Like 1

I'm lucky enough to live in the Chicago area, where a lot of manufacturers were located. I remember having a lot of machines out on test in the early 80s at the local Aladdin's Arcades. Williams was quite literally across the street from Lakehurst Mall where I did most of my gaming.

I spent so much time in pin pan alley and aladdins I was asked to beta test for williams. Best of times no doubt. I only wished they'd had followed up with some of those!

• Like 1