IGNORED

Is it worth opening NEW games?

mtshark7

I noticed that new games pop up here and there for Atari Jaguar and Atari Jaguar CD on eBay.

I bought a Hover Strike NIB a few years ago on eBay and now I sorta regret opening it up to play it; even tho I doubt the value went down dramatically on that game since I opened it.

Is it worth keeping new games new and not opening them for values sake with relation to Atari Jaguar games?

Well I love gaming and I collect video games. I just looked on ebay and seems like NIB for hover stike goes for around $30.

It's like a $15 difference from when I bought it a few years ago so I guess it's not that big of a deal.

What I should of done was kept it new and just bought a loose cart to play, lol.

At least I still have my KA Air Cars NIB :) ...now if I can find a loose one of those I'll be all set! :D

Well I love gaming and I collect video games. I just looked on ebay and seems like NIB for hover stike goes for around $30.

It's like a $15 difference from when I bought it a few years ago so I guess it's not that big of a deal.

What I should of done was kept it new and just bought a loose cart to play, lol.

At least I still have my KA Air Cars NIB :) ...now if I can find a loose one of those I'll be all set! :D

Did KA AC come sealed in plastic? I have one, I just got the last one about 2 months ago, but I don't recall it in plastic, just the clamshell case you open and close like a DVD case. If so, if kept mint, know one could ever know if it's been used anyway.

But I'm an advocate of opening the damn things and playing them, sealed is a waste in my eyes and there's nothing wrong, for postarities sake, to have games opened, but in mint condition.

With Jaguar boxed games, I just slit the top of the plastic shwinkwrap so I can open the box and slide everything out, removing only the cartridge (instructions can be found online) and keeping all the rest untouched and in the shrinkwrap. I do this with every game from a $10 copy of Supercross 3D to a $500+ copy of Battlesphere (MINT BS sells for about the same as a new unopened one, I know, I've sold two).

Edited by Gunstar

Did KA AC come sealed in plastic? I have one, I just got the last one about 2 months ago, but I don't recall it in plastic, just the clamshell case you open and close like a DVD case. If so, if kept mint, know one could ever know if it's been used anyway.

I think only the ones sold by B&C Computervisions were sealed.

unfortunately jaguar boxes are made so that it's basically impossible to open them without doing some damage to the box. why they put those slits in there I'll never know

I carefully use an exacto knife to cut the top shrink wrap, 3 sides, leaving the side where the box "hinge" is in place. I then use a letter opener to carefully move tabs and open the box with no damage. This will be done twice ever, when I take the cartridge out of the box, and if I ever sell, when I put the cartridge back in the box. Cartridges are kept in a dust free videomatic cartridge holder where no cartridge touches another, in their own spots. Only the cartridge handles are ever touched, and that's how I preserve my collection and keep mint stuff mint and other used stuff from further damage.

Edited by Gunstar

I carefully use an exacto knif to cut the top shrink wrap, 3 sides, leaving the side where the box "hinge" is in place. I then use a letter opener to carefully move tabs and open the box with no damage. This will be done twice ever, when I take the cartridge out of the box, and if I ever sell, when I put the cartridge back in the box.

That is good thinking. Where do you store your game carts then?

I was adding/editing when you replied, so read again please. ;)

Eventually I would like to put all my cartridges in clam-shell casing like KA Aircars or MadBodies came in, with foam inserts for protection and I'll print out cover inserts available on thecoverproject.com.

Edited by Gunstar

i make an effort not to buy sealed games unless absolutely necessary... i can't explain why in a way that is convincing to myself but it has to do with a combination of the factors that :

(1) opening the factory seal is irreversable

(2) more factory sealed copies of most of these games arent going to be made and they become lesser in number each time someone opens one

(3) there are enough opened copies that are often cheaper that getting a new one often isn't necessary

@Gunstar, B&C seals KA Aircars but we did not... you might even consider B&C copies to be "resealed" in a sense that the seal is not requiste for it being "new". We did this because we intend for them to be played without depreciating their collectibility.

Edited by Willard

I carefully use an exacto knife to cut the top shrink wrap, 3 sides, leaving the side where the box "hinge" is in place. I then use a letter opener to carefully move tabs and open the box with no damage. This will be done twice ever, when I take the cartridge out of the box, and if I ever sell, when I put the cartridge back in the box. Cartridges are kept in a dust free videomatic cartridge holder where no cartridge touches another, in their own spots. Only the cartridge handles are ever touched, and that's how I preserve my collection and keep mint stuff mint and other used stuff from further damage.

Wow! Do you use full body condoms too? :P

Do it as comic collectors, buy two! one for collecting and one for playing.

I'm really upset when I buy things looking as new but in reality them are resealed, sometimes them have scratches not visible at first glance. So now I'm very careful with source vendor.

I have a better question: Is it worth owning games that you do not want to open?

Collect stamps or coins... play games. :thumbsup:

Totally agree.

For the Jaguar and Lynx, almost all the games I have were still sealed. I get a buzz from being the first to bust open that cellophane and play the game (",)

Also, it seems to me there is going to be less crap being put into the cartridge slot when you start from fresh...

Edited by danny_galaga

I always wondered about this too... but the prices for games (that I can tell) that go up are few and far between. Strangely enough, when I ordered a bunch of stuff from Go Atari back in the day, he shipped the items to me in actual Atari Jaguar game shipping boxes. So what I've since done is, I take all the game cartridges out so I can play them. I then take the original boxes and manuals and everything, and put them "as is" into the original shipping box (that held like 30+ games or something, of which I have three boxes of them). I then just put those boxes on the shelf in the closet. The carts don't really get beat up since I don't play them that often, but the original boxes are basically like new... I mean, they realistically are still new, just that the shrinkwrap is gone. Some of them came with hanging tabs, and I kept those, but really, I don't see a huge need to keep them in the original shrinkwrap. That can always be re-done (though I would suggest you make people aware of that if you were to sell it again), but most people will want to open it up and test it anyway. As with anything video game related... the game systems tend to come into their own, and it's supply / demand. At some point, no one will remember the Jaguar since everyone who actually wanted one will be dead, and whether or not it's in shrinkwrap will probably not make a bit of difference... hahah..

I always wondered about this too... but the prices for games (that I can tell) that go up are few and far between

This is very much my thought on the whole matter. It's unlikely you'll get a game worth keeping sealed... and when there is one, unless you've bought it new on release day (and there's no way to tell which game in a library will ultimately be "the one"), the price for it sealed will be so high compared to even just "complete in box" that it's utterly obvious, and pretty much all of this is just plain rarity. Plus, it's so easy for some people to fake a shrink-wrap.

Most in-demand games for any system, if they're not the "chuckwagon" of the library, are only going to have a high price specifically because of a combination of availability (which is different than actual rarity) and desirability.

It doesn't matter the platform, if I get a sealed game, I'm cracking that seal the moment I get home, and breathing deeply of the factory fumes.

My only sealed game is a Bill Walsh College Football for sega cd. I assume it's worth $5 sealed instead of the usual $3. I keep it sealed because I have zero interest in playing it.

My Waterworld for the Virtual Boy is still sealed for the same reason, lol.

I tend not to even buy MISB games because a) I don't like to pay any more than I have to, b) I actually want to play them, and c) given "a" and "b" I figure the sealed copies are best left to the folks that collect sealed copies.