IGNORED

Ultima Collecting -- I am in big trouble!

Albert

After the other Ultima threads, this one practically is the discussion area.

Well......... compare you total moves to mine when you finish :)

Did you just finish it? Or is that from your previous playthrough?

My count will probably be a bit high, I have a habit of getting distracted and having my text box fill up with "Pass."

Edited by Asaki

After the other Ultima threads, this one practically is the discussion area.

Did you just finish it? Or is that from your previous playthrough?

My count will probably be a bit high, I have a habit of getting distracted and having my text box fill up with "Pass."

So my story goes like this - bought U4 for my Atari 8bit upon initial release - played it for hours upon hours and embarked into the Abyss - after 2 hours of play finally got to the final room and didnt have 1 piece of information. Was kicked out and almost threw my computer out the window I was so PO'd.

Fast forward almost 20 years and I decided I needed to finish U4 - so with a little help from Google I acquainted myself with the pieces, fired up my 130XE and proceeded down the Abyss and finished my game.

Fast forward to last month with GOG and U4 being free I got the bug to try it again, so I started from scratch and didnt use any information from the internet - canvassed all the towns and dungeons and finished from scratch. Having already played it I obviously had a head start on a few things but ultimately had to go through all the conversations and such. I saved my notes on EverNote should I decide to do this again :)

I have to find my screenshot from my 8bit finish which would be more in line with complete from scratch playing turns wise.

So my story goes like this - bought U4 for my Atari 8bit upon initial release - played it for hours upon hours and embarked into the Abyss - after 2 hours of play finally got to the final room and didnt have 1 piece of information. Was kicked out and almost threw my computer out the window I was so PO'd.

Fast forward almost 20 years and I decided I needed to finish U4 - so with a little help from Google I acquainted myself with the pieces, fired up my 130XE and proceeded down the Abyss and finished my game.

Fast forward to last month with GOG and U4 being free I got the bug to try it again, so I started from scratch and didnt use any information from the internet - canvassed all the towns and dungeons and finished from scratch. Having already played it I obviously had a head start on a few things but ultimately had to go through all the conversations and such. I saved my notes on EverNote should I decide to do this again :)

I have to find my screenshot from my 8bit finish which would be more in line with complete from scratch playing turns wise.

Quite impressive regardless of whether you had played through it before or not. I'm at over 52000 turns, have achieved Avatarhood in all of the virtues, and now I'm collecting party members and leveling them before I go into the Abyss. Actually, I need to run through the dungeons too, which I haven't done yet. I've still got quite a ways to go...

I did each dungeon separately vs using the connect method - I also forgot something which required me to go back.

I also got all 8 party members as soon as possible - reading the walk through after the fact they recommend going solo for a bit, though in my old experience I wanted my whole party to be level'd up. If you strictly followed what you need to do I would imagine you could finish it in under 100000 turns - maybe 90000 total.

I did each dungeon separately vs using the connect method - I also forgot something which required me to go back.

I also got all 8 party members as soon as possible - reading the walk through after the fact they recommend going solo for a bit, though in my old experience I wanted my whole party to be level'd up. If you strictly followed what you need to do I would imagine you could finish it in under 100000 turns - maybe 90000 total.

That depends on how much trouble you have getting the White Stone. I've used up quite a few turns just trying to get to it with the balloon, and have yet to be successful.

The first time I finished it, I took some idiotic amount of turns. Over 300,000, easily.

I also dicked around ALOT. I mean ALOT.

I got the full part ASAP, which made life suck, honestly.

I wandered around searching every single tile in all of the towns just incase.

I also fell asleep afew times while playing and would wake up starved/dead/back in lord british's castle.

It was an awesome ride though. I played it for 3 days straight during the summer i started it, and didn't do much else. I still remember the first time I used cone of death from the back rank and destroyed my entire party.

I laughed my ass off for about an hour.

What impressed me the most about that game was how the battle screens in dungeons corresponded to how you were positioned in the dungeon.

It was like the Goldbox games, but felt more organized.

I have the free version of Ultima 4 on my HD from GOG installed and ready to go....will try to spend some time with it either tonight or tommorow and post my impressions here.

Very tough to get into old Ultima's if you never played them I would think (these days). I have to say that Ultima IV is the beginning of the Avatar storyline and perhaps the most innovative game of it's time as well as one of the greatest RPG's ever made. circa 1985.

I can still remember how astounded I was by this game. Ultima III was like a taste of what was to come and Ultima IV just blew the doors wide open.

It only got better and bigger with Ultima V.

I think around this time I also started The Bard's Tale which featured a city called Skara Brae. :)

Very tough to get into old Ultima's if you never played them I would think (these days). I have to say that Ultima IV is the beginning of the Avatar storyline and perhaps the most innovative game of it's time as well as one of the greatest RPG's ever made. circa 1985.

I can still remember how astounded I was by this game. Ultima III was like a taste of what was to come and Ultima IV just blew the doors wide open.

It only got better and bigger with Ultima V.

I think around this time I also started The Bard's Tale which featured a city called Skara Brae. :)

I remember The Bard's Tale pretty well, as I actually played it back then. I always wondered later about the coincidence between the names... :)

• 1 month later...

You people do my heart good. Also makes my collection not as impressive which makes me feel better about my own silly waste of money.

904231_608436679183729_1226606720_o.jpg

(Not seen: Ultima 3 manuals and C64 summary card, Martian Dreams components, UO Third Dawn Beta disk.)

Speaking of collecting, I just sold a copy of Ultima 1: The Original for the A8 on eBay for $750. Ultima items are going for big bucks right now.

I drove that copy of Ultima to the post office in my new Altima while listening to the Ultima soundtrack on the stereo.

Speaking of collecting, I just sold a copy of Ultima 1: The Original for the A8 on eBay for $750. Ultima items are going for big bucks right now.

I drove that copy of Ultima to the post office in my new Altima while listening to the Ultima soundtrack on the stereo.

I need one of those.