IGNORED

Where Did You Get Your First Atari 2600 and What Type Was it?

TheAtarianGuy

I figured it would be neat to start a topic where we can talk about where we got our first 2600's. Since I only started collecting a few years ago, my story isn't too interesting. My first 2600 was a 4-switch Woody with the select switch broken off. My mom bought it for me on ebay even though we were going through rough times back then. I think it was Summer '09. It came with 28 games, an Atari joystick, some Atari paddles, and a white Competition Pro 5000 joystick. Well, that's my story, what's yours?

At an auction about 8 years ago. Came with all accessories in an Atari carry case with 12 games including PAL Mangia and a V-case game (can't remember which).... $22

It was a Vader, and now that I think about it, after selling off all my other consoles, and the countless ones I've had die on me, it is the one I still currently use.

Edited by nofrills100

I was never had one growing up, my parents got us an intellivision instead. Then it was all about the nes and snes for a while.

Then only a couple years ago i found out about the harmony cart and naturally needed something to play it on. So i purchased a light sixer from fellow AA member and all around good egg Chris Leach. Since then ive been hooked modding it with s-video, pause, and a led light.Now all i need is some overlays for certain controllers and i think ill be topped off as far as atari gose.

And thats my story.

Scott

In the late 90's riding my bike up a back lane and seen one discarded in a recycling bin. I don't remember which kind it was because I went looking for games at garage sales shortly after and picked up 2 more consoles with a big box of games for $5. I know one was solid black but also can't remember if the other two had 4 or 6 switches. Don't think any were heavy.

I purged collections and remember I thought I was getting a killer deal trading the 2600 lot for a laptop in early 2000 when 'puters were expensive, especially for a kid, which I was essentially getting for $5. I was getting into emulators then too. The laptop is actually worth $5 now, the 2600s went up in value, from what I paid, anyway. I'm still learning about the different types after joining AA and finally have one again after 2 years of keeping an eye out for another to fill the void :grin:.

Now, 4-switch woodgrain - one and only and currently arranging to pick up a Flashback 2. I am really interested in the Harmony Cart and homebrews for the 2600 :).

• Like 2

It must've have been around 1979/1980? At my elementary school on the playground, the talk was all about how there was a mini "Space Invaders" you could buy at the store.. this was a total myth of course (at least at that point in time). But I was addicted to the arcade game so it's all I dreamed about and looked around for. At the time, the closest thing you could find were electromechanical handhelds, then later the Bandai "Missile Invader" with one single alien in it. but I believed a real life mini Space Invaders existed and I just didn't find it.

I traveled from Guam to San Francisco on vacation, then we went to a Sears. And lo and behold they were playing Space Invaders on a display in the TV section. It wasn't really what I was looking for (2600 Invaders is a far fetch from the real deal obviously) but it sure beat the stupid Bandai Missile Invader. :lol: So my mom bought it, and I kept it in the hotel looking at the box until we went home 2 weeks later.

I don't have that unit anymore but it was a pure Sears Heavy Sixer that I'm positive. I gave it to my less fortunate cousin when I won a new Vader VCS a few years later by playing Pacman in a contest . :lol:

• Like 1

I bought mine with my first 'adult' paycheck after graduating college in summer '79. Got it used thru a newspaper ad (remember those?), and i think it was a light sixer with a dozen or so games. Mostly I wanted it to play chess, since I was in a new town and hadn't met many people yet. Imagine my disappointment when it took hours, literally, to make a move, and it cheated!

My first ever Atari 2600 was bought by my Mom and Dad in the late 70's. I think it was a light 6-switch model with the woodgrain finish. Bought some of my games at Sears, and some at the local department stores (Rich's, King's). After that, I went into the other consoles (NES in particular), and had a Genesis later on. But I seem to have always had an Atari throughout my late teens/early 20's.

Edited by wolfpaw1966

Christmas 1982, 4-switch woodgrain. It was right before they started including Pac-Man as the pack-in. The next day my brother and I went to a store called K's Merchandise Mart and used money we got for Christmas to buy some games. For some reason we mutually agreed on Street Racer, which we'd never played before. My brother wanted to get Missile Command, but I wanted Defender -- Missile Command was cheaper so that won out; we had enough money left over for another game, particularly either Outlaw or Superman. My brother relinquished the decision to me -- I had played Outlaw before and was familiar with it, so we got Outlaw.

Shortly after we got the Atari the left controller port stopped working, so we had to get a new console.

Edited by Dauber

I think it was 1980. Forget the store name, but it was in the Cherry Hill Mall (NJ). We'd looked at it many times, as I was fascinated with the store. I have always assumed that's where they bought it, since I wasn't present at the time. My parents got it for my sister and I for Christmas with some games. Was one of my best Christmases ever. Light Sixer.

• Like 1

I got mine in Winter or early Spring 1981. It was not any special occaisona that I recall. I believe that my Father bought it at Consumer's Distributing. It was a 4-switch model.

It included Combat and Asteroids as the pack-ins, and he also got me Donkey Kong.

I sold it in early 1983 and put the money towards a Coco.

I picked up another at a local rummage sale in about 1989 or 1990.

I am still collecting, in theory, but I only very rarely see any carts "in the wild" so I mainly use emulation now. I have the Atari 80-in-1 and the Activision collections for my PS 2 (as well as Stella, of course).

Edited by jhd

I got mine during the Winter of 1977-1978 at Turnstyle in Schaumburg. Along with it I got several Atari and Sears Tele-Games cartridges. Of course they were the original release titles.

Initially I used it with a 9" b/w JCPenny television. But soon moved it up to the 25" Chroma-Color II Zenith set.

Edited by Keatah