IGNORED

choplifter

mark

The games play very much the same...

The original Broderbund version was programmed back in the day (82?) whereas the XEGS Atari version was re-programmed from the ground up by Sculptured Software in the late 80's...

The later version is far more colorful than the older game which is largely monchrome...

sTeVE

I did not know that there are two versions. So I looked to color version today. And I must say the original monochrome one I like more. The second seems that Atari use only graphics 15 instead 8.

BTW Are there another monochrome games here? This is the finest graphics and I like this resolution. I remember only Starquake, MoleculeMan and Amaurote. Do anybody know some else?

I did not know that there are two versions. So I looked to color version today. And I must say the original monochrome one I like more. The second seems that Atari use only graphics 15 instead 8.

BTW Are there another monochrome games here? This is the finest graphics and I like this resolution. I remember only Starquake, MoleculeMan and Amaurote. Do anybody know some else?

I do like the XE graphics better. Just generally looks better. The sky for instance in the original, is a pretty weird color. However, when everything is on the screen, the XE version's joystick response beomes sluggish. Therefore, I like the gameplay in the original. Also they did not add a even single element for the XE game,. With 64K, I would have expected an extra screen or something.

correct me if I am wrong, but I do not think that the colored choplifter was a remake, but instead a port of the sega arcade adaptation of choplifter

Don't know about Sega arcade. Don't think it is port because the XE game is exactly the same as the earlier Broderbund for Atari. No enhancements at all except the graphics.

Calli's Tidbit:

If you rescue all 64 hostages, you get another screen signaling a successful mission. Also, the XE and Broderbund final screens are slightly different.

Original more monochrome

s_Choplifter_3.png

Arcade

xChoplifter.png

7800 Version

s_Choplifter_3.png

been scouring the web and i cant find a picture of the xe version in gameplay anywhere. any help? the mosque look of the buildings came from the arcade sega game, and if the xe version has that look also (like the 7800 version does,) then you know were it came from :-)

Lode Runner was monochrome and used artifacting. Awesome game when it came out. I liked the way the levels would "draw in" circular fashion. The level editor was a great feature also.

Stephen Anderson

Wow, awesome site - thanks!

It appears all the 'XE' version is the Broderbund one recast in a new graphics mode with color added - The sounds and movement appear to be identical.

Thats what I've been trying to tell everyone in my previous posts 062802beat_prv.gif

:wink:

"Calli? - Yeah he knows all the good sites"