IGNORED

Atari 7800 Sit and Shoot Games

NIKON

I started this thread to get input on all the sit and shoot games that are on the Atari 7800.

Sit and shoot to me is defined as such: the player or players are given endless waves of targets while not really having to move their object on the screen. This type of game allows the player to rack up points while asserting very little effort other than to dodge incoming fire or line up a shot and shoot.

Also these types of games are endless and levels continue without end.

Here is the list I came up with

1. Asteroids - easily can be exploited for points

2. Commando - enemy soldiers will keep appearing on the screen whether the player moves or not.

3. Desert Falcon - waves of unending enemies.

4. Galaga - I know that you can only move side to side but it falls into this category all the same

5. Meteor Shower - Like Galaga only side to side player movement..but missed targets subtract points..but falls into this category as well

6. Moon Cresta - Another Galaga type game but still in this category

7. Super Huey - in arcade mode this game brings endless waves of enemies without moving forward or backward

8. Ikari Warriors - there is are spots to sit at where enemy soldiers will keep spawning although eventually one runs out of ammo if icons are not picked up.

a borderline game is Joust...although technically not a shooter but there are waves of enemies that are endless.

If I have missed any titles..please chime in.

edit: I have recanted Ikari Warriors from the list...I was in error including this game in this category.

Edited by NIKON

Maybe I don't know these games too much but I think Commando, Meteor Shower and Moon Cresta aren't in this cathegory.

I think enemies stop to come in Commando... Not 100% sure I didn't try it.

As you said, you lose points in Meteor Shower. More over, difficulty gets high when you get high score not when you pass a stage.

I don't know how to "sit" in Moon Cresta. It's never easy and you can't stop the game from going on as it is planed to go.

DARK CHAMBERS - Easy to exploit without moving to the subsequent levels (B, C, D etc.). We played it on 7800 HSC Season 3 / Round 15 last time.

It's possible to sit and shoot the bad guys continuously (zombies, skeletons, wraiths, wizards and grim reapers).

post-24681-0-28238800-1358463423_thumb.png

PS.: I have recently played 7800 Dark Chambers on EMU 7800 only for practicing. I used Default Difficulty (Standard Mode) and I completed more than 52 levels, including Standard Course (Levels A to Z) and Advanced Course (Levels A to Z). When I played for practicing, I kept moving forward and collected the most important items: feed, keys, and bombs.

For more details, see Dark Chambers Manual: http://www.atariage....wareLabelID=682

You can view and study 7800 Dark Chambers Maps on this adress: http://www.atari7800.org/darkchambersmap.htm

Edited by oyamafamily

2. Commando - enemy soldiers will keep appearing on the screen whether the player moves or not.

There have been times that I've been desperate for lives, so I've used the endless enemies to my advantage. One time I sat near a hut and killed bad guys until I had racked up quite a few lives to finish out the game with.

8. Ikari Warriors - there is are spots to sit at where enemy soldiers will keep spawning although eventually one runs out of ammo if icons are not picked up.

I'm not aware of any of these spots in Ikari Warriors. As far as I've seen (and I've played through the game several times), all enemies have a fixed position from which they will always appear and once a particular enemy is dead, he's dead. I've also used this to my advantage. Since I can know exactly where and when an enemy will appear, I will advance very carefully in certain difficult areas and take them out one at a time (such as the water spot late in the game with all the suicide bombers). Also, if you kill the enemies on the screen, you can let the game sit without needing to use the pause feature.

If we're gonna toss out 7 to 8 games maybe the 78000 HSC should take a 6 to 12 month break or just stop.

Maybe we should just play Pole Position 2? You can't go wrong with a car racing game.

Yeah, the bad guys do stay dead in Ikari Warriors. I don't think it's possible to point press in that game.

Most of the 7800 games have been played and records were set. Some records might be or are questionable.

If people want to play the games at home for fun and compare scores to the ones in the old threads maybe that's the way to go.

We should forbid all Atari 7800 programers to play with us!

Sorry, Bob, you can't play your games with us! How could we know you're not using your programming skills...

Yes, it doesn't sound good.

Better to keep the honor system and have fun playing and comparing our scores with the friends we get in AtariAge.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do you want to break an Atari 7800 world record?

Better to record your console, controllers, tv and all your game.

Maybe Twin Galaxies would be a good place.

Or we could make a subforum that only accepts recorded games and start to make a board with the top records!

And there is retrocademagazine if we don't want to do it again in AA.

Ahhh my bad. It seemed like that's why you started this thread, to pick out games that shouldn't be played.

I'm not aware of scoring issues in Joust and Galaga. These games were played many times over the years with no problems.

Even Desert Falcon was played a few times before with no problems until a few months ago.

Dark Chambers... yeah it's possible for someone to pick off the bad guys until the cows come home but what fun is that?

PLANET SMASHERS: I found another example related to Sit and Shoot Games. When the player reaches Final Boss (see picture below), Planet Smashers can be exploited for more points accumulated: it's possible to shoot continuously the enemies which emerge from this Boss without completing the game.

P.S.: I've ever finished this game on Default Difficulty (Easy) when I played for practicing via EMU7800.

post-24681-0-75606000-1358549478_thumb.png

Edited by oyamafamily

PLANET SMASHERS: I found another example related to Sit and Shoot Games. When the player reaches Final Boss (see picture below), Planet Smashers can be exploited for more points accumulated: it's possible to shoot continuously the enemies which emerge from this Boss without completing the game.

P.S.: I've ever finished this game on Default Difficulty (Easy) when I played for practicing via EMU7800.

post-24681-0-75606000-1358549478_thumb.png

Planet Smashers does not fall into this category.. it is a scroller...enemies are not endless in the levels and you cannot just sit there during the main parts of the levels.

Edited by NIKON

I'm not aware of any of these spots in Ikari Warriors. As far as I've seen (and I've played through the game several times), all enemies have a fixed position from which they will always appear and once a particular enemy is dead, he's dead. I've also used this to my advantage. Since I can know exactly where and when an enemy will appear, I will advance very carefully in certain difficult areas and take them out one at a time (such as the water spot late in the game with all the suicide bombers). Also, if you kill the enemies on the screen, you can let the game sit without needing to use the pause feature.

I have recently played 7800 Ikari Warriors just for training and I've ever finished this game via rescuing the Colonel, on Default Difficulty (Intermediate).

Edited by oyamafamily

Dark Chambers... yeah it's possible for someone to pick off the bad guys until the cows come home but what fun is that?

I've ever rolled the score on 7800 Dark Chambers when I played recently on EMU 7800, Default Difficulty (Standard).

On EMU 7800, the right button (X key - which shoot the bombs) is working properly.

On 1,000,000+ gameplay, I went from Levels A to Z three times when I was practicing.

We shouldn't play Rampage or Xenophobe. They take too long to play.

We should make everyone suffer thur a nice game of Touchdown Football. :evil:

I didn't even know that Football existed on the 7800. Is it that bad?

Edit: Never mind, I just read a review of it.

Edited by Gorfy

I didn't even know that Football existed on the 7800. Is it that bad?

Edit: Never mind, I just read a review of it.

Yeah, the game's horrible. But it has good music tho.

There's a reason why it hasn't been played yet it this HSC.

I'm having alot of fun playing Tecmo Super Bowl in the NES HSC.

That game is sooooo much better. :)

Edited by roadrunner