IGNORED

Picked up a new Trinitron today...

(please move if this is in the wrong part of the forums)

So I've been looking around for a nice, reasonably new (to me) CRT tv to replace my old Samsung. I went with a Sony Wega Trinitron 27", the model is KV 27FS13. It looks like it was manufactured back in 02, and the price was dirt cheap. I realize some are giving these away but I was willing to pay for a gently-used tv...hopefully, this will last me another ten years.

I plugged it all up, and tried out my powerpak NES to see how the resolution is. It's a very clear tv, the flatscreen is super flat as well. I was thinking that because it was a flatscreen there wouldn't be any issues with 'screen cut off', you know where some of the picture isn't on the screen.

While most of the games are fine, the menus on my powerpak aren't perfect...I'm missing a few lines of resolution at the top of the screen (you know, some of the letters are cut off).

I looked through the manual and I thought that maybe I could press a button to change the display size (ala modern tvs) but nothing so far. Does anybody else know more about these Wega tvs? I've read on Amazon that some gamers out there weren't fans of this tv, but I decided to take the risk. I haven't hooked up my atari yet, but soon.

There is something I noticed, there's a button that you can toggle for resolution sharpness. Turning it off makes it look like my old Samsung (kinda blurry, not so sharp) and keeping it on makes it look REALLY sharp...and if you sit too close to the tv, you can really see the pixelation. No big deal.

Overall I'm pretty pleased. Anybody have some tips for me?...and also, the previous owner said the tv was lightly used (and looks it). I realize that crt tvs will eventually break down, but other than the picture tube going, is it possible to still get these repaired? I really dig playing older systems on crt screens.

I have a Sony Trinitron, but it doesn't say "WEGA" on top, but they are generally the same from around that time. It has an "enhanced 16:9" mode in the menu if you ever play any modernish games with a widescreen aspect ratio. That mode pretty much squishes the lines together, resulting it what appears to be a sharper image and widescreen on your 4:3 tv. It doesn't cut the resolution on the top or bottom of the screen, as it just reduces the space between lines, it makes things look a ton better in widescreen.

I have one of these Trinitron TVs and I love it. I also found this website that talks about calibrating CRTs and how to enter the TV's service mode to get to all the many many settings it has (the service mode page also has the information for ordering a service manual for your TV should you want one, I got one for mine and it's has every schematic for the guts of this thing). I did this for my TV in order to shrink down the image both horizontally and vertically so I wouldn't lose some of the edge information that I noticed was not being displayed.

I'm not sure if this website will help with your particular TV but you should be able to get an idea about the various ways you can adjust your image to get it exactly where/how you want it.

• Like 1

Thanks for the link. My tv doesn't say Wega on it either, just Trinitron but on the manual it says Wega. Size-wise, it fits my old school entertainment system and the other styles of Wega have those speakers on the sides of the tv, increasing the size. They're great tvs though.

I don't know much about tinkering with tvs beyond the many menus...do you have to open em up? I know a bit about electronics but anything like a tv or amplifier freaks the hell outta me. I'll check out those links!....the weird thing is that my old game to test if I'm getting the 'full picture' is Super Mario Bros. If I get all the score up top, generally I'm happy. But on the powerpak menu, I'm missing some of the info (which I don't on my LCD tv).

Thanks again, and anybody feel free if you have something to add, just shout.

Thanks for the link. My tv doesn't say Wega on it either, just Trinitron but on the manual it says Wega. Size-wise, it fits my old school entertainment system and the other styles of Wega have those speakers on the sides of the tv, increasing the size. They're great tvs though.

I don't know much about tinkering with tvs beyond the many menus...do you have to open em up? I know a bit about electronics but anything like a tv or amplifier freaks the hell outta me. I'll check out those links!....the weird thing is that my old game to test if I'm getting the 'full picture' is Super Mario Bros. If I get all the score up top, generally I'm happy. But on the powerpak menu, I'm missing some of the info (which I don't on my LCD tv).

Thanks again, and anybody feel free if you have something to add, just shout.

No, you don't need to open the TV up for what you want, I just mentioned the service manual because I'm one of those guys who prefers to have service manuals for stuff that I buy that I want to keep. You never know when you might need the information. Service mode, at least on my TV, is accessed through a button combination on the remote. Then you left or right button your way through the many settings until you get to one that you might want to adjust. It helps to have one of those TV calibration DVDs displaying a grid/test pattern to measure against. You might be surprised how off your display actually is.

• 3 weeks later...

I also just picked up a 21" Sony Trinitron... Model KV-2565MTJ. Odd little beast... have not seen one like this before. It has on it "Hyper-Band Cable Ready" and the antenna jack has a plastic ring around it. It also has a knob on the inside flip-down panel that is labeled "Color System" and you can set it to Auto or PAL. It appears to have a convergence issue I think - see pictures below. I've tried using the codes on the site mentioned above to get in to service mode with no luck. When I hit 5 the TV cuts on, hitting power after it turns it right back off. Anyone ever seen one of these beasts or know how to get in to service mode? I think this might be a TV imported from Japan (as it says Made In Japan on the back and I saw a reference on the Internet where it also mentioned this model as being an import).

Or I wonder if this is what I'm experiencing:

XBR250 COLOR BANDING PROBLEM

If you have a XBR250 and you're experiencing horizontal blue, green or red banding across the screen with a component video connection, you will need to enter service mode and adjust the HOSC parameter. Initially HOSC is set to 7 (factory default), you'll need to change it to about 11 - this will eliminate the color banding in the picture.

Any ideas or any help?

IMG_1900.JPG

IMG_1896.JPG

IMG_1902.JPG

Edited by moonchilddave

I also just picked up a 21" Sony Trinitron... Model KV-2565MTJ. Odd little beast... have not seen one like this before. It has on it "Hyper-Band Cable Ready" and the antenna jack has a plastic ring around it. It also has a knob on the inside flip-down panel that is labeled "Color System" and you can set it to Auto or PAL. It appears to have a convergence issue I think - see pictures below. I've tried using the codes on the site mentioned above to get in to service mode with no luck. When I hit 5 the TV cuts on, hitting power after it turns it right back off. Anyone ever seen one of these beasts or know how to get in to service mode? I think this might be a TV imported from Japan (as it says Made In Japan on the back and I saw a reference on the Internet where it also mentioned this model as being an import).

Or I wonder if this is what I'm experiencing:

XBR250 COLOR BANDING PROBLEM

If you have a XBR250 and you're experiencing horizontal blue, green or red banding across the screen with a component video connection, you will need to enter service mode and adjust the HOSC parameter. Initially HOSC is set to 7 (factory default), you'll need to change it to about 11 - this will eliminate the color banding in the picture.

Any ideas or any help?

IMG_1900.JPG

IMG_1896.JPG

IMG_1902.JPG

you have to take the cover off unplug for 5 days then get a long philips screwdriver then remove back cover then on the

neck board there should be 4 wires and the neck pcb

disregard these wires unless using screen for arcade space invaders also ignore the big sucktion cup wire unless you have winter gloves and a jumper cable to chicken stick the tube so you wont get zapped oh yea yeah all youre doing is convergence of the purity rings fridge magnets with knobs on them on the neck board..

if you flip the 4 wires on yoke coil the picture flips over like player two on space invaders..

now if you want to converge just ignore what i said about using as arcade screen and remember this warning once you get it right leave it alone if you dont leave the purity rings alone then just start over using the squares test pattern then get all the purity rings lose by adjusting the losener then get so you can still adjust them then start all aligned to knobs in same place purity rings then hold the 4rth one 1st one in place and move the other ones then all at same time leaving the 1st one to move the other 3 at the same time then start from there you have to move the 1st two sets together but not together w the other two move those outer ones at the same time away different direction than the 1st two then try every possible thing to get it the way you like it will be like 4 times then you will get good at knowing what is converged then also turn the contrast down enjoy try not to make it a habit of adjusting the purity rings but it can be fun because there also is a adjustment on flyback transformer focus and drive screen donot turn screen till you see the overscan lines turn it way down then focus if it hisses turn the contrast down ..

good luck with youre tv's also if you need transistors use high speed switch ones

I've got a 28" KV-2795R model Sony Trintron in my room that I use for my NES, TI-99/4A,Genesis,Super NES,and N64(says it was made in '86 according to the instruction manual). I grew up playing my NES on a 70's Zenith Space Command though.

I also have a smaller 14" Sanyo TV set to play my Atari 2600/5200,INTV,Colecovision games and to watch my Betamax movies on.

I have a extra 20 inch memorex tv i dont use but it has a hidden remote control mode using a hidden button I snipped unused rubber button from other function not used like stereo and used it for the button ..

I also have a 19 inch rca flat screen 16:9 digital tube tv with new reciver decoder digital tuner in it and on ps3 it goes 16:9 composite also it has small speaker .. i like sonys my freind got a 22 or 21 inch sony tv when we did flyers this summer for free in free pile i was jellous intill i had to carry it and it was heavy i said no way to heavy to move