IGNORED

Let's Pool Our Resources and Buy Atari - How Much Will You Contribute?

Dr Manhattan

Let's Buy Atari  

100 members have voted

1. 1. How Much Will You Contribute to the Let's Buy Atari Fund?

• $1 to $5
    • $5-$25
    • $25-50
    • $50-$100
    • $100-$500
    • $1000 or more

• Please sign in to vote in this poll.

I will check back tomorrow and look at the threads, if you guys all really want this and there is a huge positive response, then we are all insane and I will make it happen...

Are you kidding?! I'd love to get in on something like this!

I've never quite understood the directions that the post-Tramiel owners of Atari (with the possible exception of Hasbro Interactive) tried to take with the brand. They tried to make Atari into a powerhouse publisher of modern games for modern platforms, with little or no connection to its history. Unfortunately, those who most recognized the Atari name were not the primary market for many of those games, and those younger gamers who were didn't have any particular attachment to the name, so they didn't use their capital very well with either group.

I've sometimes thought that the right approach would be more like the one INTV took in the mid-80s with the Intellivision: acquire the rights, establish a low-overhead operation, and produce new hardware and software which fit naturally into the overall library. It seems to me that there is a lot of potential for this kind of idea today, especially with the right vision for the classic Atari properties (like Curt's original idea for the Flashback 3). Regardless of what happens, I'm hoping that those properties find their way into better hands.

I will check back tomorrow and look at the threads, if you guys all really want this and there is a huge positive response, then we are all insane and I will make it happen...

Curt

Well I'm insane, but this thread is hidden in the 2600 forum so we might not get enough other crazies. Millions are going to be hard to get. I'll run it past the wife, but $500-1000 (maybe more) is probably what I can swing. I just bought the wife a $2k camera body, so she owes me.

The math on millions doesn't work well. 20,000 people donating $300. It's an insane goal, but you can bet this kickstarter will go viral, which might help out a little.

Maybe have some high ticket reward spots which offer the opportunity for donors to make a commercial title with one of the IPs (just trying to think how it might get some larger bids, but it's still kind of 'selling out')

Put it this way, did you guys see the recent Elite on kickstarter. It raised over $2.5 MILLION USD - one game. Now Elite is fantastic but Atari is much bigger than that.

This should be about the fans for the fans, so it doesn't matter how much you put in, it is all valued and appreciated. You back Atari, you become a stockholder in Atari. Atari or nothing, 1 stock per $1 backed and paid, and I will support this ten million percent.

post-3231-0-38449200-1358897350_thumb.png

• Like 1

Well I'm insane, but this thread is hidden in the 2600 forum so we might not get enough other crazies. Millions are going to be hard to get. I'll run it past the wife, but $500-1000 (maybe more) is probably what I can swing. I just bought the wife a $2k camera body, so she owes me.

The math on millions doesn't work well. 20,000 people donating $300. It's an insane goal, but you can bet this kickstarter will go viral, which might help out a little.

Maybe have some high ticket reward spots which offer the opportunity for donors to make a commercial title with one of the IPs (just trying to think how it might get some larger bids, but it's still kind of 'selling out')

While this topic is in the 2600 forum, the key is to spread the word to forums, sites and other means outside of Atariage.

Many questions:

If Curt spearheads the effort, how does the new Atari end up being organized, as far as CEO, board members, shareholders, etc?

Who will accept and deposit the donated monies, and into what holding account?

What is the plan for initial return on investment? One share for every dollar spent?

Where will the physical offices for the reorganized Atari Corp. be located at?

• Like 1

Many questions:

If Curt spearheads the effort, how does the new Atari end up being organized, as far as CEO, board members, shareholders, etc?

Who will accept and deposit the donated monies, and into what holding account?

What is the plan for initial return on investment? One share for every dollar spent?

Where will the physical offices for the reorganized Atari Corp. be located at?

Business plans? Solid proof of ownership compounded with a track record of financial success, and a drive for profitability and the means to get things done? Qualifications in the business world? We don't need those, we have NOSTALGIA. Nostalgia will clearly fix everything.

• Like 7

Stocks are suspended. Plus if you bought now and Atari goes bust you will lose everything. If someone buys Atari as a going concern you would more than likely find your investment becomes almost worthless.

You beat me to my edit of my question, as I just learned this (http://www.4-traders.com/ATARI-2168735/news/ATARI-S-A-and-its-U-S-entities-coordinate-to-request-filings-for-Book-6-procedures-in-France-and-15890423/) LOL!.

If at all possible, I'll contribute what I can just for the sake of seeing this property get into the right hands.

• Like 2

I'm in! How cool would it be to own a piece of the real Atari?

How about getting some of the original programmers involved like David Crane and Rob Fullop who occasionally frequent this forum?

I'll forward this to the RGR podcast guys - they've got some good connections...

We would need to have a clear idea of Atari's monthly outgoings and revenue stream. We'd need to hit the ground running to get outgoings slashed and then probably fight a holding action to stop it becoming loss-making again.

Example: If we took on Atari's online presence, social games etc they will have costs. We could probably ditch the office !

One option would be to become a holding company for want of a better description for the IP and brand. Make money through commercial licensing. Protect the interests of the retro community, and be responsible "guardians" of the IP and branding, licensing out use of the brand for the Flashback 9 :-o etc.

I very much doubt we would ever be in a position to launch a new console but we could certainly do wonders with the classic hardware.

Edited by svenski

Have any of you even read Atari's most recent 10-K, let alone are familiar with the concept of a 10-K and how to read one? :|

If not, you might want to take a look at it. Especially the part about the most recent "salable assets". It sort of helps you know what you're actually buying.

With that, my final post in this thread. Have fun with Kickstarter.

• Like 2

Here you go..

http://www.atari.com...sept_UK_DEF.pdf

Don't cry to much. Page 29 and 33 are the sledgehammers.

Keep in mind the company is not what's up on the auction block, it's the brand name and IP. Blubay and Atari SA are liquidating all the assets, not selling off the companies themselves - those are being shut down. So earnings, debt, etc. of those entities are irrelevant.

• Like 1

I'll kick in some money regardless, Curt, because it would be worth it to me to get the Atari name in good hands. But to get to $6 million you're going to need to offer something well defined and solid to investors.

Also, part of the Kickstarter terms is that you have a well defined project, and they specifically disallow starting a business as a project. See the Kickstarter guidelines.

I'm no expert (sorry Cebus) but the financial results are a picture of Atari as it is now, so to speak.

You could go to the creditors and buy the debt for a fraction of its current value, giving you considerable control of the company so you could restructure and inject further cash as required, or force into liquidation so you could gain control of its assets.

You could pick and choose the assets you buy from Atari as it is now, in severe distress. Atari Inc (and its creditors) get what they can and then it winds up. You walk away with your car boot purchases.

You buy Atari as it is, warts and all, including debt, for a token amount. You then take on the debts but get the company for say a dollar.

You wait for Atari to go under, then the administrators will sell what they can to get the best return for the IRS and then other creditors. You can get a bargain but there might be competition.

Edited by svenski